Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Last chance to see graphic showing how hybrid transmission works...

There are a few more days left to see the best graphic showing how the Toyota/Lexus hybrid transmission works before it disappears from the internet. This is the graphic that I found the most useful in understanding the system and for anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd recommend a last look before it's gone.

The graphic was created in Adobe Flash but this is being withdrawn and apparently will stop working in mid-January.

The page has two graphics - one at the top and a more elaborate one at the bottom. The one at the bottom has sliders that allow you to adjust the speed of the cog wheels and see how this affects the other interconnected cog wheels. To see the one at the bottom of the page, you will probably have to click to allow Adobe Flash to run. It works on Windows but I don't think it works on an Android phone.

This is the page where you can still find it for the moment: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

I've read that Adobe Flash can be converted into html5 format using Adobe Animate so maybe there's someone out there who has the expertise to preserve this graphic in a new format before it disappears.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a last look if you haven't seen it before.

• Like 2

Yes, the bit in the article that caught my attention was the paragraph that said, "Since Adobe will prevent Flash Player from displaying content from 12 January, there are concerns that years of animations, games and interactive websites will be lost."

Quite how Adobe achieves that I don't know, unless Flash code has had an end date built in for a long time. But it's useful to read that people are working on emulators to replace it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Yes, the bit in the article that caught my attention was the paragraph that said, "Since Adobe will prevent Flash Player from displaying content from 12 January, there are concerns that years of animations, games and interactive websites will be lost."

Quite how Adobe achieves that I don't know, unless Flash code has had an end date built in for a long time. But it's useful to read that people are working on emulators to replace it.

Clearly I didn't read closely enough! Thanks for pointing out.

21 hours ago, Thackeray said:

It is believed that version 32.0.0.363 or 32.0.0.371 onwards contain the time bomb. Given that Flash has been one of the biggest security weaknesses to computers for some time now hopefully people have been keeping it up to date and therefore will have a version that will stop working.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 10:25 AM, Thackeray said:

There are a few more days left to see the best graphic showing how the Toyota/Lexus hybrid transmission works before it disappears from the internet. This is the graphic that I found the most useful in understanding the system and for anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd recommend a last look before it's gone.

The graphic was created in Adobe Flash but this is being withdrawn and apparently will stop working in mid-January.

The page has two graphics - one at the top and a more elaborate one at the bottom. The one at the bottom has sliders that allow you to adjust the speed of the cog wheels and see how this affects the other interconnected cog wheels. To see the one at the bottom of the page, you will probably have to click to allow Adobe Flash to run. It works on Windows but I don't think it works on an Android phone.

This is the page where you can still find it for the moment: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

I've read that Adobe Flash can be converted into html5 format using Adobe Animate so maybe there's someone out there who has the expertise to preserve this graphic in a new format before it disappears.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a last look if you haven't seen it before.

Thank you for posting that, the text was interesting to read and explains when the ICE kicks in.

The system is very clever indeed. I love the CVT box in my 400h - I would like to try the Corolla 1.8 and 2.0 to compare with mine.