Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 - Reversing camera - black with guidelines

Hello all and a happy and safe New Year.

It's a bit of a first world problem and my car is getting old ( 18 Years ), but I noticed when changing gear into Reverse, the camera display changes, showing the coloured guidelines but the rest of the screen is black.

I'm thinking rain, wiring etc?

I love my car but it is getting old and love the camera too.

Just wondering if there is anything obvious to check.

A quick forum search showed up nothing I could use...

It might correct itself in time - who knows?!

sounds like the nav unit isn't receiving the camera signal, either wiring or faulty camera. I'd check wiring from camera in the tailgate which connects to the camera ECU on the RHD of the boot and then into the Nav unit in the floor of the boot but I suspect the camera itself has failed.

• Like 1

Hello Piers.

I had the same situation on my older car.

What I did was exactly as Colin told you: I checked the wire coming from the tailgate to the ecu and found out that the wire is the problem of losing the video signal.

What have I done ? I just took 5 meters of new cable from a store and replaced the entire wire starting from the camera and ending in the ECU.

Remember that the insulation of the wires are made of plastic which, like rubber, cracks prematurely.

And .... the water did the rest of the work 🙂

• Like 3

A bit of an update...

Well, the next day the screen was still black when I selected Reverse.

The day after that there was a blue coloured area about 15% of the screen, down one side, when I selected Reverse.

The day after that, it was working again - perfectly.

I think, with it not having been driven for a while, it was some moisture or condensation?

Driving to work I have kept the heater hot and the air flow... flowing.

Long may it continue.

5 minutes ago, PCM said:

I think, with it not having been driven for a while, it was some moisture or condensation?

Quite possible. Certainly worth checking the bottom of the boot well for any water in case it is more serious than just moisture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

Quite possible. Certainly worth checking the bottom of the boot well for any water in case it is more serious than just moisture.

Yes - had that thought.

I will.

Thank you.

For sure you gained some moisture in the cables.

As i said earlier you must change the whole cable later when you have mood and time for that.

This recent situation pointed out to cables (because you had signal from camera)

So the only thing left is : cable 🙂

• Like 1