Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mass of error messages

Almost certainly the 12V Battery dying, but before spending money on a new one can you charge it overnight or stick jump leads on to see how it behaves with a 'known-good' 12V source?

• Like 3

Agree with Herbs I had exactly the same problem even though the car started all kinds of weird and wonderful error messages came up, ended up buying a new Battery as the old one would not hold a charge for more than a day. Only three years old but I had left it last January to go on holiday for four weeks and it never really recovered.

• Like 1

you can have this alarm if someone nudges into you with either ignition on or off so i feel this is the case

because the car knew you where stationary the popup hood failure message has come on the dash

i had the same alarm when i was waiting in stationary traffic and a paramedic in a skoda rolled back into me

no damage to my car not even a scratch i just had the message,

if you have carista you can reset it from the app and save going to lexus

managed to get the car home and plug it into techstream.

1052010124_Techstreamcopy.thumb.jpg.d7152ee14fcf2f8cfa700d1edd4afd2a.jpg

P0A80 code is a faulty hybrid Battery, however all the other random messages that popped up on the dash would have me believe that its the 12v. as I had two stop on the way home and when I switched the car back on the hybrid system message was still there but the pop up hood and brake message had gone.

Ive since cleared all the codes again and tried to replicate the issue but no success, my feeling is that the run home this morning it was lighter and warmer, so there were less electrics working and so the car had a chance to charge up the 12v a bit more.

i've got the car on a 12v trickle charger currently in the hope that I can get the Battery to last a little longer as my Lexus dealers don't have then in stock currently 

6 minutes ago, Brechin Slate said:

Is this a bit pricey? Looks like the real thing and available by Thursday if the trickle charge fails:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS300H-BATTERY-GENUINE-PANASONIC-12V-AUXILIARY-BATTERY-49AH-S46B24L-/383856512689?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Thanks, my dealer has quoted me £132, should have one by the weekend 

• Like 1

Or this, £50 cheaper, not sure how both of them can be 'genuine' though when one is 49Ah and the other is 45Ah

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LEXUS-IS300H-12V-BATTERY-45AH-AUXILIARY-BATTERY-28800-YZZQX-S46B24L-/383442806314?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Well it wasn’t the 12v 😔

driving along at 70mph today and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree!!

all the same error massages as before,   The cats done about 700 miles in that time.

plugged in the techstream and got these messages

13F758BF-1E70-4E65-A89A-53516FA238F7.thumb.jpeg.60486f8720d2ea7b48f75c35b9da7649.jpeg

This is the second time I’ve had the P0A80 message now I’ve just got off the phone from Lexus, a replacement hybrid Battery is £1900 inc vat, I didn’t think that was too bad.

ive reset the fault code and will run it some more but my feeling is it’s only a matter of time before I get the check hybrid message again.

24 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

Well it wasn’t the 12v 😔

driving along at 70mph today and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree!!

all the same error massages as before,   The cats done about 700 miles in that time.

plugged in the techstream and got these messages

13F758BF-1E70-4E65-A89A-53516FA238F7.thumb.jpeg.60486f8720d2ea7b48f75c35b9da7649.jpeg

This is the second time I’ve had the P0A80 message now I’ve just got off the phone from Lexus, a replacement hybrid battery is £1900 inc vat, I didn’t think that was too bad.

ive reset the fault code and will run it some more but my feeling is it’s only a matter of time before I get the check hybrid message again.

Give Richard @Hybrid Battery Solutions a phone call https://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jayw13702 said:

a replacement hybrid battery is £1900 inc vat, I didn’t think that was too bad.

So if the car has done 180,000 miles, I make that around a penny a mile for the hybrid Battery, if in fact it turns out that you have to replace the whole Battery and not just one cell. That's about the same as I reckon for tyres, which generally also cost me around a penny a mile.

For someone who's keeping the car for the long term or doing high mileage that doesn't sound too bad. It only becomes more of a risk for someone who buys an older car with 200,000 miles on the clock for, say, £5,000, and is then hit with the whole cost of the Battery.

It would be great to hear some more updates on how the problem is fixed. Do you need to replace the whole Battery or is it just one cell bringing up the error message? There are stories of Prius taxis doing 200,000 or 300,000 miles on the original Battery but the IS300h may not produce the same life for the Battery.

17 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

So if the car has done 180,000 miles, I make that around a penny a mile for the hybrid battery, if in fact it turns out that you have to replace the whole battery and not just one cell. That's about the same as I reckon for tyres, which generally also cost me around a penny a mile.

For someone who's keeping the car for the long term or doing high mileage that doesn't sound too bad. It only becomes more of a risk for someone who buys an older car with 200,000 miles on the clock for, say, £5,000, and is then hit with the whole cost of the battery.

It would be great to hear some more updates on how the problem is fixed. Do you need to replace the whole battery or is it just one cell bringing up the error message? There are stories of Prius taxis doing 200,000 or 300,000 miles on the original battery but the IS300h may not produce the same life for the battery.

Looking at the mileage it has done you're right the cost so far has been nominal. 

If I were to sell the car with the fault its worth £2-3K and that's only if someone was willing to take a punt on it, put a new Battery on it and I may be lucky and get £6.5k for it, after all the biggest worry has been taken care of.

Replacing cells V's a whole Battery - Ive seen too many batteries that have had cells fail only to have further failures 6 or 12 months down the line, ive done a bit of digging today and I think I have 3 modules that are weaker than the rest of them, so that's 6 cells that need replacing. New ones are £80 each or I can take a chance on used ones at between £25-30 per cell.

So £500 for new or £200-240 for used ones, none of which guarantees the entire Battery. Plus there's time off the road, this is still a working car, I'm very lucky in that I have a contract that still providing me with an income. So the genuine Lexus Battery does look more promising and it does come with a guarantee, and I can fit it myself in a few hours (as far as i'm aware)

Ive had a number of Prius, one of them has over 300,000 miles on it and still has its original pack, chatting to the owner he did say its cycling a lot more than it used to but still gives 45 mpg around town.

I was intending on selling the car this year, if I fit the Battery then ill be keeping it for another 12 months at least, and in that time I think I will be looking at new shock absorbers and brakes as the ride is getting a little 'crashy'

Bottom line is if I want to sell it with mega mileage on it I feel i've got a better chance if there's a Lexus receipt for a new hybrid Battery in the folder

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

So if the car has done 180,000 miles, I make that around a penny a mile for the hybrid battery, if in fact it turns out that you have to replace the whole battery and not just one cell. That's about the same as I reckon for tyres, which generally also cost me around a penny a mile.

For someone who's keeping the car for the long term or doing high mileage that doesn't sound too bad. It only becomes more of a risk for someone who buys an older car with 200,000 miles on the clock for, say, £5,000, and is then hit with the whole cost of the battery.

It would be great to hear some more updates on how the problem is fixed. Do you need to replace the whole battery or is it just one cell bringing up the error message? There are stories of Prius taxis doing 200,000 or 300,000 miles on the original battery but the IS300h may not produce the same life for the battery.

William,oh William !

You mean one penny times 2.4 don`t you ?

One penny used to buy a lot, but today even  one penny times 2.4 (one New Penny), buys nowt !

Ive been doing some testing this afternoon.......

Within tech stream I can monitor the difference in the voltages across the Battery blocks, sadly you can only select 8 at a time!!

So I set the test up twice, with the car in Neutral, A/C running so as to create a drain I ran it until I got the charge Battery error massage on the dash.

E9AFFF92-E07D-4CD2-A108-B3E93FB778E8.thumb.jpeg.e3a60d5c5a8b6663934e6af944f645f0.jpeg

116D3942-3F62-49A7-9FD4-F774F2D2A4D6.thumb.jpeg.7b5926a30b86e55247780d9e2e8f6ba8.jpeg

Once the alarm sounds then the snapshots were taken, you can see the min/max markers on each block

ive read somewhere that if there’s more that 0.3 v between blocks then that can signify a cell that’s weak/faulty

Edited by Jayw13702
adding more info
  • Like 2

i'm still diagnosing.

The code was reset on Monday and as of yet the P0A80 hasn't come back, i'm not going to kid myself that the problem has gone away, its only a matter of time before it pops back up again, as a result my laptop travels in the car all the time now.

Secondhand HV batteries are an unknown quantity and are like gold dust unless you want to buy one from Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania. The issue with that is if there is an issues then its a world of pain trying to get it sorted, the cost seems to vary from between £1300 to £1500 and all come with a 30 day warranty.

Lexus is £1900 inc vat and comes with a 12 month warranty, its a fresh unit and they take back my old Battery so I don't have to worry about disposal costs either.

Logic says it is the HV that is beginning to fail and at some point it will fail and I will not be able to reset the fault code, im hoping that's sooner rather than later though

On 1/11/2021 at 11:12 AM, royoftherovers said:

Give Richard @Hybrid Battery Solutions a phone call https://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/

spoke to him today, he certainly knows his stuff.

He's confirmed the Battery is dying and replacing a few cells will get me out of trouble short term but in the long term its a new Battery that's required.

He can supply and fit a new Battery for the same money as Toyota can supply but the cells are supposedly able to hold 15% more energy and they last longer, as a result ev performance and overall mpg will be better than previous.

The Battery will be replaced soon and Im pretty sure im going to go down the new route. I plan on keeping the car for another year, by which time it will have about 230,000 miles on the clock when I come to sell it. I'm just hoping that a receipt and a new Battery will help me to sell the car......and all the other receipts that I have for the car as well.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mikey B said:

I'm on 194K now so wondering if this is about the time they start to fail or if its just pot luck

Too early to say whether this is expected life due to mileage, expected life due to age or just unlucky. It's the first IS300h I've heard of having this issue, and I suspect hybridbatterysolutions haven't seen many, if at all, yet. Whilst the hybrid batteries between all Toyota/Lexus vehicles is very similar, certain Battery pack designs can lead to less reliability but in theory the 300k+ miles seen with Prius vehicles should be possible with the IS.

12 hours ago, Mikey B said:

Assume you haven't had the hybrid heath check at Lexus?  I'm on 194K now so wondering if this is about the time they start to fail or if its just pot luck

pot luck, and bad luck on my part I believe.

Ive had a gen3 Prius do well over 200,000 miles on one pack and that had the same type of module as the 300h. 

no, ive never had the health check done at Lexus, I do my own servicing as my dealers have never been too welcoming of my car being used as a taxi.

Maybe ive paid the price for that with this early failure, I doubt it as there isn't a lot that can be done to service a HV Battery

Hi all

NOS member but just the sort of thread I joined up for! As my mileage has appeared to dip since last March, from around 50mpg down to around 35mpg, I've began to wonder about the longevity of the traction Battery and the possible detrimental effect on it from lack of use over lockdown. However this thread has cheered up my optimistic side on noting mileages of 200,000 - 300,000 miles being bandied about, at that rate it will definitely outlive me! However I'm presuming the months of little use will not kill the Battery off before me! Perhaps someone can enlighten me further on that point? My car is IS300h, Dec 2013 registered on 63 plate with 47,000 miles on clock, last serviced at Lexus dealer May 2020 with AOk on Battery.

Thanks