Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mass of error messages

The traction Battery should be able to stand for at least a couple of months without use and probably a lot longer than that - it's the 12V Battery that will give you problems.

Toyota's advice during the last lockdown when we really couldn't drive anywhere was to put the car into READY mode with the shift lever in 'P' for 60 minutes per week. The petrol engine will fire up as and when necessary to keep the Battery topped up but don't leave the car unattended as someone could drive off in it.

If you don't do it (or actually drive the car) the 12V Battery will probably be dead within two to three weeks.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, Jayw13702 said:

Lexus is £1900 inc vat and comes with a 12 month warranty, its a fresh unit and they take back my old battery so I don't have to worry about disposal costs either.

Is that with fitting? Seems very reasonable when the latest smart phone from Samsung will set you back up to £1300+. 

Like some others on here, its going to be a while before our IS300Hs traction Battery will need any attention, 32K in 6 years, so it'll be a while before we hit 100K in ours let alone near 200K :).

On 1/15/2021 at 12:42 PM, MRV said:

Hi all

NOS member but just the sort of thread I joined up for! As my mileage has appeared to dip since last March, from around 50mpg down to around 35mpg, I've began to wonder about the longevity of the traction battery and the possible detrimental effect on it from lack of use over lockdown. However this thread has cheered up my optimistic side on noting mileages of 200,000 - 300,000 miles being bandied about, at that rate it will definitely outlive me! However I'm presuming the months of little use will not kill the battery off before me! Perhaps someone can enlighten me further on that point? My car is IS300h, Dec 2013 registered on 63 plate with 47,000 miles on clock, last serviced at Lexus dealer May 2020 with AOk on battery.

Thanks

I would be looking at the little 12v Battery, if that is losing capacity then it will be drawing more capacity from the hybrid Battery and so you will see a drop in MPG.

Weather will also have an effect on fuel consumption, colder weather always sees the MPG drop with all vehicles as the electrical demands are that much greater during the cold days with longer evenings, however yours has gone through the summer without the MPG improving.

I would have your 12v Battery checked

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Is that with fitting? Seems very reasonable when the latest smart phone from Samsung will set you back up to £1300+. 

Like some others on here, its going to be a while before our IS300Hs traction battery will need any attention, 32K in 6 years, so it'll be a while before we hit 100K in ours let alone near 200K :).

no, that's a supplied price, if I buy from them then ill be fitting it myself. That may cause a few raised eyebrows but so long as the service plug is pulled and the 12v Battery disconnected then there shouldn't be a voltage issue

Having looked at the workshop manual for a HV Battery removal/refitting I genuinely don't see there being any problems, the pack remains sealed 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

no, that's a supplied price, if I buy from them then ill be fitting it myself. That may cause a few raised eyebrows but so long as the service plug is pulled and the 12v battery disconnected then there shouldn't be a voltage issue

Having looked at the workshop manual for a HV battery removal/refitting I genuinely don't see there being any problems, the pack remains sealed 

This is worth a look if you haven't seen it already. Not your model but shows you the scale of the work 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:20 AM, Brechin Slate said:

This is worth a look if you haven't seen it already. Not your model but shows you the scale of the work 

interesting, I don't think the 300h is as much work as the seats don't need removal

On 1/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, 200h said:

the only thing i would do differently is to check the new battery

pack is the correct one for your car before you totally strip it out.

I will have them side by side when I pick up the new one from the dealers, that will be the first time I see the new one. That said if it isn't the same then I go home with my old one

23 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

This attachment may also be useful 🙂 

DM30K0E_IS300h_DIS.pdf 2.13 MB · 7 downloads

Thanks, I saw this a few days ago and have been running thorough it, I don't see too many issues

Well I bit the bullet and pick the new Battery up on Saturday morning, im paying more for this Battery than I have for many of my cars that ive driven in the past 🤣.

I have a go pro that will be on time lapse, hopefully I can get the whole process on you tube

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

interesting, I don't think the 300h is as much work as the seats don't need removal

I will have them side by side when I pick up the new one from the dealers, that will be the first time I see the new one. That said if it isn't the same then I go home with my old one

Thanks, I saw this a few days ago and have been running thorough it, I don't see too many issues

Well I bit the bullet and pick the new battery up on Saturday morning, im paying more for this battery than I have for many of my cars that ive driven in the past 🤣.

I have a go pro that will be on time lapse, hopefully I can get the whole process on you tube

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how you get on 😀

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

Well I bit the bullet and pick the new battery up on Saturday morning, im paying more for this battery than I have for many of my cars that ive driven in the past 🤣.

If I wore a hat, I'd take it off to you. You have much bigger cojones than me, I haven't got the courage to do half of the jobs you do on your car. I hope it all goes well and I will look forward to hearing (or seeing) how you get on. All the best!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Very much looking forward to seeing this Jason, cheers mate.

• Like 2

I’m going to get a head start on myself by stripping the boot area out before Friday evening.
once I finish work then it’s a case of back the car up to the garage and start disassembling.

Over the years I’ve built, rebuilt and fixed many cars, this is no different, it just has other risks that need to be taken into consideration, so long as the safety aspects are followed then I don’t see any issues 👍

• Like 4

You may already have looked at this but there's a lot of useful background information on the Weber Auto youtube channel about Prius batteries and electrical systems. Here's one of the videos but there are others that could be useful.

51 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Probably posted before, but if only it was as easy to replace the battery as the Mercedes AA class

Oh don't give those Germans ideas, for heaven's sake!

Well its done!! the Battery is fitted.

Not a difficult job, just a case of allowing time for the HV system to discharge.

When you remove the Battery pack from the car there are a couple of control units that are bolted to body of it, they are under a cover alongside the service plug.

We didn't find this out until I took the old unit to the dealers, luckily I had taken a socket set with me. 20 minutes later I had the units removed and was heading home. only to find I had left a bracket on the old unit 🙄 so another 70 mile round trip later and I had all the bits I needed.

Certainly feels like there is a difference, there appears to be more torque available and fuel consumption has improved.

the last week of the old Battery I was returning 44.3mpg on the trip computer, I will be doing the same routes next week as last week so it will be interesting to see if there is an improvement, and if so how much.

Just putting the video together of the strip down and refit, should be up on YouTube in a day or two. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Well its done!! the battery is fitted.

Not a difficult job, just a case of allowing time for the HV system to discharge.

Well done! And there's me fretting about mending/fitting a new washing machine tap. Looking forward to seeing the video.

• Haha 2

As my mate is works at Honda HQ, heres a fun fact - All the Hybrid batteries are "reconditioned" not brand new - Hence thats why they have an exchange policy for the old one etc. Not sure whether Lexus/Toyota has the same concept

1 hour ago, Andrew888 said:

As my mate is works at Honda HQ, heres a fun fact - All the Hybrid batteries are "reconditioned" not brand new - Hence thats why they have an exchange policy for the old one etc. Not sure whether Lexus/Toyota has the same concept

I'm not sure it makes a difference really.

I would think that being responsible companies the exchange programme is more to do with safe (both environmentally and electrically) dismantling and disposal.

Batteries work via chemical reactions. Once the chemistry ceases to work, how would you 'recondition' a Battery other than by replacing the chemicals and once you've done that, don't you have a 'brand new' Battery anyway?

5 hours ago, Mincey said:

Well done! And there's me fretting about mending/fitting a new washing machine tap. Looking forward to seeing the video.

I would do another Battery everyday rather than plumbing 😁

2 hours ago, matt8 said:

Hoping this solves your problems, Jay. Are you confident it will?

Yes. I've been out in it today and done one of my daily runs of about 80 miles, temp was between  -3 and 1 degree the MPG was better than it was last week when it was between 4-10 degrees.

There appears to be a lot more torque and around town it now runs on EV a lot more than it used to.

2 hours ago, Andrew888 said:

The guys at Lexus were telling me about the process of reconditioning the old Battery. They reuse the carcass and wiring loom, the body of the Battery cells are reused and there are some elements of the Ni-Mh Battery that are recycled but the cell can be passed as new because a greater percentage of it has not been used before. However by the time you build the whole unit up to be a complete Battery a greater %age are parts that have been pre-used so it has to be called reconditioned.

The parts that are reused will not compromise the longevity of the Battery though.

Toyota/Lexus are happy to warranty the part and also continue to offer health checks on the Battery that will extend the warranty of it. to me that's treating it as a new unit.

• Like 3

Some people including me, would think a "new" pack is a totally new manufactured from ground up as if it were installed on a production car.

I'm not debating about how the cells are "remanufactured" but Jason has highlighted quite in depth what a "new" hybrid pack from a dealer consists of thats all.

50 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I'm not sure it makes a difference really.

I would think that being responsible companies the exchange programme is more to do with safe (both environmentally and electrically) dismantling and disposal.

Batteries work via chemical reactions. Once the chemistry ceases to work, how would you 'recondition' a battery other than by replacing the chemicals and once you've done that, don't you have a 'brand new' battery anyway?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

Some people including me, would think a "new" pack is a totally new manufactured from ground up as if it were installed on a production car.

I'm not debating about how the cells are "remanufactured" but Jason has highlighted quite in depth what a "new" hybrid pack from a dealer consists of thats all.

It means new to the customer !