Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mass of error messages

1 hour ago, Andrew888 said:

Some people including me, would think a "new" pack is a totally new manufactured from ground up as if it were installed on a production car.

I'm not debating about how the cells are "remanufactured" but Jason has highlighted quite in depth what a "new" hybrid pack from a dealer consists of thats all.

Well first of all, Jason hadn't highlighted the process when my post went up, but it is much as I thought.

I agree that "new" should mean "new" but I suppose the crux of the matter is partly in the semantics and partly in the pricing.

I would expect a totally 'new' pack to be much more expensive than a reconditioned one. After all, as Jason says, the wiring looms, the carcass and plastic cell casings can all be reused as long as they aren't damaged.

I reckon that if you're paying about two grand you can say it's a recon, with a genuinely brand new one being double that but that's only my opinion; I have no idea about pricing of these things at all.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Well first of all, Jason hadn't highlighted the process when my post went up, but it is much as I thought.

I agree that "new" should mean "new" but I suppose the crux of the matter is partly in the semantics and partly in the pricing.

I would expect a totally 'new' pack to be much more expensive than a reconditioned one. After all, as Jason says, the wiring looms, the carcass and plastic cell casings can all be reused as long as they aren't damaged.

I reckon that if you're paying about two grand you can say it's a recon, with a genuinely brand new one being double that but that's only my opinion; I have no idea about pricing of these things at all.

My point is that I don't know whether dealers disclose that the pack is reconditioned. I have had a few customers (yes I am involved in the trade) that they've had brand new packs from Honda (1st Gen Civic IMA) and wasn't told or explained why they wanted the old pack back and the 'new' one installed and fitted for £1800 was reconditioned hence my conversation with my friend at Honda UK to verify this as my customer was absolutely certain the whole pack was entirely brand new, with new cells direct from Panasonic etc.

I had my Samsung phone Battery replaced by an official service centre. They made it very clear that the Battery is reconditioned so that I know what I'm paying for (£130) is acceptable. So I'm wondering when Jason purchased the pack, whether the parts dept explained clearly what he was purchasing unlike Honda (without explaining) 

Just now, Andrew888
1 hour ago, Herbie said:

My point is that I don't know whether dealers disclose that the pack is reconditioned. I have had a few customers (yes I am involved in the trade) that they've had brand new packs from Honda (1st Gen Civic IMA) and wasn't told or explained why they wanted the old pack back and the 'new' one installed and fitted for £1800 was reconditioned hence my conversation with my friend at Honda UK to verify this as my customer was absolutely certain the whole pack was entirely brand new, with new cells direct from Panasonic etc.

I had my Samsung phone Battery replaced by an official service centre. They made it very clear that the Battery is reconditioned so that I know what I'm paying for (£130) is acceptable. So I'm wondering when Jason purchased the pack, whether the parts dept explained clearly what he was purchasing unlike Honda (without explaining) 

They did say the Battery pack was factory reconditioned, and then went on to explain what’s meant by that.
In my eyes because the chemical part of the cell is brand new I was happy that the Battery was going to give me the performance and longevity the original one gave.
I did ask about the price of a “brand new” one and was told they are not listed. The one I purchased is the only one that is available for trade, retail and Lexus warranty as well.

Battery prices are starting to fall now, I was watching a program about it, today we have reached a point where a Li-on Battery costs per Kw (Battery capacity) have now dropped below £100, the IS300h has a 40 Kw/h Battery that’s Ni-Mh and so is older technology. At £1900 is almost half that price and good value if I can get another 180,000 miles out of the car.

The regulations about new/reconditioned have become a bit blurred over the years, and it leads to all manner of customer confusion.
Because the greater part of my “new” Battery is a reused component (carcass, bus bars, Battery frame) it has to be classified as reconditioned. The cells themselves could very well be brand new from Panasonic but because they don’t constitute the greater part of the component it has to be called reconditioned/remanufactured

• Like 1

Brilliant Job Jason, well done and thanks for posting the video.

Just goes to show that as long as you're mindful of the electrical safety aspect, it's really no different from any other remove/replace operation on any other component of the car.

Thanks again mate and I'll raise a glass to your next 180k miles :cheers:  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PRT68 said:

Well done. 

Did you get a quote from Lexus to supply and fit?

No, the problem was Lexus wanted to do the job during the week and the car is in use every weekday so I only had the weekend to do it.

I would guess there's about 10 hours of workshop time there at the least

22 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

today we have reached a point where a Li-on battery costs per Kw (battery capacity) have now dropped below £100, the IS300h has a 40 Kw/h battery that’s Ni-Mh and so is older technology. At £1900 is almost half that price and good value if I can get another 180,000 miles out of the car.

I think you go the decimal point in the wrong place!! A Nissan Leaf only has 23kWh Battery pack, my Tesla has a 75kWh pack. If the IS300H had a 40kWh pack it would be able to do 100 miles+ in EV mode and paying £1900 for a 40kWh would be the steal of the century!!!

Last time I checked the size of traction Battery in IS300H was more like 5kWh. So you are actually paying about £400 per kWh for very old Battery tech.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:50 AM, ganzoom said:

I think you go the decimal point in the wrong place!! A Nissan Leaf only has 23kWh battery pack, my Tesla has a 75kWh pack. If the IS300H had a 40kWh pack it would be able to do 100 miles+ in EV mode and paying £1900 for a 40kWh would be the steal of the century!!!

Last time I checked the size of traction battery in IS300H was more like 5kWh. So you are actually paying about £400 per kWh for very old battery tech.

My Bad 🤦‍♂️ I did get my figures wrong

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links