Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold start front tyres weird sound

Hi everyone hope you guys are fine 🙂

A question to RCF owners: I noticed whenever I start the car cold in mornings if I have to and while locking the steering wheel to either left or right direction for a u turn in stationary position the front tyres are making a weird pops sound as if they are locked and not moving at all they slip instead of moving  never had this experience with my RC 300h, I haven’t experienced any vibration in national speeds so it’s not the alignment of wheels but don’t know.. Does anyone have or had same problem? I haven’t noticed this when whether was warmer though!

thanks

47 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

Think the term is 'crabbing', but its basically the tyre skipping on the surface. Happens in mine on cold mornings too 🙂

Thanks mate I was thinking to contact local dealership, but once car gets warmer I don’t notice it :) 

38 minutes ago, Rensin55 said:

Yes, it’s a combination on low temperatures, slippery road surface, low profile summer tyres with hard sidewall at full lock.

My tyres are Michelin Super Sport S, do you think if I change to something else I won't experience much? 

1 hour ago, Hatat said:

My tyres are Michelin Super Sport S, do you think if I change to something else I won't experience much? 

As above, but since switching to PS4's I havent noticed it as much...

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Many marques suffer this same thing and recommend swapping to winter tyres for the colder months

I hear it's a hot topic on Merc forums!

I had crabbing this morning on MPS4s, I've also experienced it on my old IS300H and IS220D which both had Goodyear asymmetric tyres. I've got use to it over the years and now don't really pay much attention to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silkmen said:

I had crabbing this morning on MPS4s, I've also experienced it on my old IS300H and IS220D which both had Goodyear asymmetric tyres. I've got use to it over the years and now don't really pay much attention to it.

Oh intresteting, I never had this experience on my IS300h or RC300h only with RCF but glad to know it's kinda normal not a problem with my car 😁

Ditto here on my IS250, from what I can find out it’s the steering geometry setup that doesn’t totally align the front wheels perfectly in full lock situations ( which of course should only be happening at really low speeds!)

I find it too - as a recent first time Lexus owner - and given that it occurs the further you turn the wheels I've been wondering whether it's anything to do with the tight turning circle which is far tighter than most other cars I've owned.

1 hour ago, BillNick said:

Same, had this on almost all of my cars during the thicker Winter months.

It's first for me, I was worried as something major might be wrong with car but now know it's common :)

It does make me embarrassed if someone is sitting in the passenger seat lol but thanks God it doesn't in higher speed like turning in roundabouts! 

Had this on every car I've had with big wheels and low profile tyres pretty much. I think its less noticable when the tyres are brand new but becomes more noticable way before the tyres come close to needing replacing.

Non issue I would say.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never had this effect on any of my BMW or any other cars, my first car with this "crabbing" effect is the GS, I even went to Lexus Glasgow and checked alignment but it didn't help. It was happening mostly in cold underground parkings, i think I had front tyres Bridgestone. When I changed tyres to all season this effect disappeared. On this forum I also heard that Mercedes and Jaguar suffer from this, however, I have 2 friends who own a C-class and an E-class and they never told me about this happening on their cars!.

You can check also this thread:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

Ackerman geometry. Nothing wrong with your car. It’s physics. 

......and we all know......ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim.

I'll get my coat.

• Haha 1

The stiffer the chassis, roll bars and suspension arms and the lower the profile of tyre...the more likely you are to feel it. Hence more common with high performance cars. Some manufacturers allow passive and some active steer rear wheels to minimise the effect. 

I think the TVD on the RCF compounds the problem as it doesn’t allow the rear wheels to turn at different speeds at parking speeds - so it exacerbates the ‘pushing’ effect. 

Winter tyres are usually softer compound with softer side walls

On 1/5/2021 at 9:14 AM, Sundance said:

I find it too - as a recent first time Lexus owner - and given that it occurs the further you turn the wheels I've been wondering whether it's anything to do with the tight turning circle which is far tighter than most other cars I've owned.

An advantage of rear wheel drive cars .....a smaller turning circle 😀