Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LS430 Owner

Micholas

Hi all,

I’ve just joined the forum after putting a deposit down on a 2002 LS430. 
I’m from a classic BMW background so I am finding some big differences in being a Lexus owner. 
Firstly parts and accessories that aren’t completely modern seem to be very thin on the ground. From a BMW perspective, a quick internet search will show you pretty much every accessory or part made in the last 40 years. I’ve been doing a few searches for period correct accessories for my soon to be Lexus and there is nothing out there at all. You’d usually expect some dead stock somewhere online, or even old images. Do you guys struggle finding information or parts at all? 

Also I’ve been trying to use a VIN decoder and have tried pretty much every well known one I’ve had experience with. A lot of them don’t seem to recognise the VIN, and others show it as a 2006 Lexus.. and some are correct with the age and model, but have no spec list. Very peculiar. 

Any help appreciated 

Nicholas 

Hi Nicholas and welcome to the LOC.

I have to agree with the parts situation which appears to have been getting worse in the last few years, there are more and more parts now showing as “No longer manufactured” on Amayama.com.

I was recently looking for some original leather front seat covers for my 1994 model, they were showing as still available but at around £500.00 for each base and back section they will be remaining on the warehouse shelf until they rot.

Certain suspension parts are now obsolete but you can buy aftermarket bushes from the likes of Daizen.

The advantage you do have with Lexus is their reliability so parts are generally not required very often.

There is a known problem with the LS430 model in that the engine coolant radiator and combined transmission cooler fail. This results in coolant entering the transmission wrecking the auto box so I would advise to check if this has been replaced.

Good luck with your purchase.

1 hour ago, Micholas said:

Also I’ve been trying to use a VIN decoder and have tried pretty much every well known one I’ve had experience with. A lot of them don’t seem to recognise the VIN, and others show it as a 2006 Lexus.. and some are correct with the age and model, but have no spec list. Very peculiar.

Hi Nicholas, hello and welcome to the forums. The best VIN decoder I've used previously is this one:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

There is also another on the Lexus Tech website:

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/euro5search/VehicleSpecifications

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Hi Nicholas and welcome to the LOC.

I have to agree with the parts situation which appears to have been getting worse in the last few years, there are more and more parts now showing as “No longer manufactured” on Amayama.com.

I was recently looking for some original leather front seat covers for my 1994 model, they were showing as still available but at around £500.00 for each base and back section they will be remaining on the warehouse shelf until they rot.

Certain suspension parts are now obsolete but you can buy aftermarket bushes from the likes of Daizen.

The advantage you do have with Lexus is their reliability so parts are generally not required very often.

There is a known problem with the LS430 model in that the engine coolant radiator and combined transmission cooler fail. This results in coolant entering the transmission wrecking the auto box so I would advise to check if this has been replaced.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for this Steve. One thing I guess I’ve taken for granted with BM is that they’re very good at keeping their heritage cars on the road. Apart from the odd non essential trims, you can pretty much still buy every essential part going back to the 70’s. 
Re. The radiator/cooler issue, I hadn’t heard of this so thanks for the heads up! I Wonder how pricey this repair is to do for preventative measures. 

49 minutes ago, mikey2001 said:

Hi Nicholas, hello and welcome to the forums. The best VIN decoder I've used previously is this one:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

There is also another on the Lexus Tech website:

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/euro5search/VehicleSpecifications

Thanks Mikey. I tried both of these. The Lexus one doesn’t recognise the VIN. The first one just shows the correct model and year but no information available around spec. I’m guessing there must be some issue with Lexus VINS 

• Like 1

Welcome Nicholas 🙂

If I might enquire, what BMW's are in your current background? 🙂  I used to dabble a little in 'classic' BMW's having owned some E28's, E34's, E30's and one of my all time favourite cars, the E21. 

Thanks Shahpor. 
Well the current fleet consists of an E30, E34 and E39... but I’ve owned E36’s and an E38 750 on top of that. I’m trying to get ULEZ compliant, hence the Lexus purchase 🙂

I was a parts manager for BMW for a good few years up until 2018, so I’ve been slightly spoilt with accessible cheap parts lol. I think those days are over for my new daily smoker lol. 

I've not found getting parts a problem, especially as I get most of what I need from the US and delivered in a few days.  Not that I've "needed" much, most of what I've replaced was out of choice rather than necessity.

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I've not found getting parts a problem, especially as I get most of what I need from the US and delivered in a few days.  Not that I've "needed" much, most of what I've replaced was out of choice rather than necessity.

Same here why pay £120.00 for a set of NGK plug leads when you can buy the exact same plus Bosch distributor caps and rotor arms for $80.00 including prepaid VAT and shipping within a couple of days. 😀

This is the company Nicholas.

www.rockauto.com.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Same here why pay £120.00 for a set of NGK plug leads when you can buy the exact same plus Bosch distributor caps and rotor arms for $80.00 including prepaid VAT and shipping within a couple of days. 😀

This is the company Nicholas.

www.rockauto.com.

Btw Steve, do you know why there are differences in the plug gap?  I was going to order Denso iridium plugs from Rock but they have two gap sizes, albeit tiny differences 0.40 and 0.44. also they have three Denso iridium plugs listed for the 430 so that confused me.  About £44 for the 8 delivered.

Taken from our sister USA forum.

Some plugs come pre-gapped. Both NGK & Denso sell pre-gapped plugs for the engine, in every model of plug they sell. They also sell un-gapped plugs that are at the "traditional" .44 plug gap.

All of the plugs that are refferanced to the specific engine *are* pre-gapped. If you look your car up, you'll get returned the right plug with a pre-gap.”

iridium plug gaps should not be adjusted as it risks damaging the iridium tip which if it breaks off would probably result in major engine damage.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Welcome Nicholas 🙂

If I might enquire, what BMW's are in your current background? 🙂  I used to dabble a little in 'classic' BMW's having owned some E28's, E34's, E30's and one of my all time favourite cars, the E21. 

I still have the E9., the 3.0 CSL Used to own the E9 , E24 ( 635CSi ) - cracking sports coupe....and the E3 ( 3.0SA ). lost interest and sold all except the E9.

5 hours ago, J88TEO said:

I still have the E9., the 3.0 CSL Used to own the E9 , E24 ( 635CSi ) - cracking sports coupe....and the E3 ( 3.0SA ). lost interest and sold all except the E9.

All lovely cars. Most Coupes are showing their age now, you need to be really dedicated to own one of them lol.

I worked at Munich legends for years so lucky enough to have driven pretty much every BMW oddity going. Although I’m well out of my comfort zone if I drive something from before the 80’s. E3’s, E9’s, 2002’s etc.

E28, E30’s etc. That’s my golden age of cars. 

Thanks for this! I’ll keep it bookmarked in case the need arises 👍🏼

As an example, this evening I ordered 8 Denso iridium spark plugs, a Denso charcoal cabin filter and a Denso air filter, total including taxes and shipping is £72.  Just be sure to use the FedEx delivery option as the VAT will be calculated and added to the total so there's nothing more to pay, also use the FedEx cheapest option and parts will come just as quickly as the more expensive options.👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Micholas said:

All lovely cars. Most Coupes are showing their age now, you need to be really dedicated to own one of them lol.

I worked at Munich legends for years so lucky enough to have driven pretty much every BMW oddity going. Although I’m well out of my comfort zone if I drive something from before the 80’s. E3’s, E9’s, 2002’s etc.

E28, E30’s etc. That’s my golden age of cars. 

Munich Legends? - Was there a Barney Hayes or something like that?

4 hours ago, J88TEO said:

Munich Legends? - Was there a Barney Hayes or something like that?

Haha the infamous. His tenure was before my time, but it changed hands before I joined. But I've heard all the stories about him. 

Haha the infamous. His tenure was before my time, but it changed hands before I joined. But I've heard all the stories about him. 

Met him years ago and shipped the parts for my E9. I was back in my home country then and came in for a visit. Took the opportunity to source the parts while I was here on holiday and met up with BH. They had the Glossier Beer car there then!

Hmm, apologies for the sidetrack, but I think this thread definitely needs some pictures of these cars 🙂 

Munich Legends....Always did want to visit one day but could never afford what they were selling.

Funnily enough, two of my favourite BMW's that I used to own were also the slowest; I have an automatic E34 520i and a manual E28 518i.  They were just such nice cars to drive around in that I didn't care about performance.  The E34 especially was immaculate inside and out.

I am going to have to go hunt down some pictures I think.

Oh, I forgot.

My brother still has his E30 325i Sport Mtech 2.  He has had it almost 20 years now, but sadly it has been in pieces in the garage for the last 10.  Hopefully he will get it back on the road again in the near future.