Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone cured the steering VGRS issue?

My LS460 has the VGRS steering warning on the dash. It previously had another warning related to the VSC, but my service people (not Lexus) managed to clear that fault by doing a wheel alignment and resetting/clearing some codes. After which the steering wheel (which was quite a few notches off centre) corrected itself. Or least almost corrected itself. It's quite literally about one notch off dead centre now.

Lexus say that the fault is related to either the Steering ECU, the column or the entire rack, and are quoting silly money. The fault I understand is actually related to the steering ECU and I think it was actually a recall in the USA. It comes about only on the 1st Gen LS460s and happens if you switch locks too fast while parking.

I'm taking it back to the service centre this week and they're going to try another alignment to see if they can get it cleared completely.

I thought I'd ask here though to see if anyone else has had the problem and managed to cure it. I should add that apart from the warning and the fact that the wheel is the tiniest bit off centre the car is perfectly fine.

There was a problem with a limited number of 460s and 600s early on - I think there were only about forty cars in the UK that suffered from a problem which left the steering wheel askew if you returned rapidly from cornering to a straight line, at low speed.  VOSA was informed, and you can check on the gov.uk's 'check mot' page to see if there is an outstanding recall on your car.  Look at its MOT history, and go to the bottom of the page.  In the USA I believe about 10,000 cars were recalled.

The big recall for all of these cars was, of course, that the valve springs were too weak, and had to be replaced.

If your car has been anywhere near a dealer since it was new then almost certainly it will have had either or both of these problems fixed.

I'm sorry that I can't be of any real help.

This happened to me a few years ago, here is my post on the topic:

On the US forum there are many entries about steering rack problems. What happens is that the steering wheel, for no reason, takes up a 45 degrees left or right position with the front wheels straight ahead. Running diagnostic check gives an error code which requires a steering rack change. 

I had this happen to me and took it to my local Lexus dealer. I told him about the US forum and he just laughed. He was adamant that the problem was NOT the rack. They ran a full diagnostic and, sure enough, got a code which recommended a steering rack change. He still didn't believe it and told his guys to run a full program check on the various systems. They found a corrupt script in the Auto-Parking module. A quick re-boot and all was well. That was 5 years ago and I've had no problems since. 

Interestingly, he told me that, after a rack change, they would have to do the same re-boot as part of the schedule. Makes you wonder how many racks (at around $5000) have been changed for a computer glitch. The fix cost me about 130 euro.

I have also agree - i have read more than once that this issue is resolved by plugging in techstream and updating - I think you need to find a Lexus dealer who have done this before

lexus ls460 2006 vgrs ligth on - LS 400 / Lexus LS 430 / Lexus LS 460 / Lexus 600h / Lexus 500h Club - Lexus Owners Club

4 hours ago, Tulpen said:

This happened to me a few years ago, here is my post on the topic:

On the US forum there are many entries about steering rack problems. What happens is that the steering wheel, for no reason, takes up a 45 degrees left or right position with the front wheels straight ahead. Running diagnostic check gives an error code which requires a steering rack change. 

I had this happen to me and took it to my local Lexus dealer. I told him about the US forum and he just laughed. He was adamant that the problem was NOT the rack. They ran a full diagnostic and, sure enough, got a code which recommended a steering rack change. He still didn't believe it and told his guys to run a full program check on the various systems. They found a corrupt script in the Auto-Parking module. A quick re-boot and all was well. That was 5 years ago and I've had no problems since. 

Interestingly, he told me that, after a rack change, they would have to do the same re-boot as part of the schedule. Makes you wonder how many racks (at around $5000) have been changed for a computer glitch. The fix cost me about 130 euro.

Hi George. I saw your story elsewhere after I posted this. My service people don't have Techstream, so I guess I'll need to find a Lexus dealer that are prepared to do more than just tell me I need a new steering rack. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks also to Mark, for your input as well. 

• 2 years later...

I drive a Lexus is 350 FSport, it started few years ago to show vgrs warning and the steering would give a funny sound. It took it to the dealer several times but the car doesn't get better, instead it gets worse

I can't 2km without the warning poping out and the steering give me the funny noise. How can I fix it. 

Protea, South Africa 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I changed the rack on my LS 460 2006 due to water ingress from a leaky rubber boot/gaiter on the rack to track rod.

It was grinding by the time I changed it, but the warning light displayed before the noise.

Because it is a electric powered rack rather than a hydraulic it is more sensitive to water ingress and therefore warning lights.

I replaced it with a good used item,

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links