Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 Wet Carpets

Hi I have a 2006 RX300 3.0I Auto Petrol and have got a problem with wet carpets on the passenger side of the car in the back. They have started to get wet in the front as well. Don't have a sunroof and not sure where the water is getting in to the car. The rubber round the door's are good, the window's are shut and not leaking. Has anyone got any ideas where I can look? Please help, the carpets are starting to get marked where they can't dry out at the moment with so much rain we are having in the UK.

Hi Andrew and welcome to the club.

There have been many threads about this so you should be able to search for them, although I have to admit that I rarely manage to use the search function successfully.

What I can say is that where the tailgate gas struts fix to the body is often a suspect area, as are the rear lights and their seals. There may be some standing water, say under the luggage area floor, so if there is you may have to drill a hole through the floor to let it drain out.

I'll send you a private message with some info that may be helpful.

• Like 3

From your Avatar it looks like you have roof bars.  Rubber gaskets in the roof attachment of these have been known to have perished and allow water in which can run down behind trim to the floor.  If this is the case, some silicon sealant may cure.  But check out what Herbs has suggested.  Also, if you can't readily find what you want by using the search facility, I suggest you go back page by page looking at likely headings, then bookmark relevant ones so you get a more comprehensive picture of known possibilities. Some of the threads have pictures to show what has been found. 

• Like 2

It sounds like your boot is full of water and by braking it has only 1 way to go - forward. Leaks can be very difficult to trace. I ended up by sealing every seam and made sure rear light gaskets were intact. I ended up drilling drain holes and lifted carpets to dry it out which it did eventually. This seems to be a problem with the RX along with underbody rust, and was why i moved it on.

Pete

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:38 PM, aever34 said:

Hi I have a 2006 RX300 3.0I Auto Petrol and have got a problem with wet carpets on the passenger side of the car in the back. They have started to get wet in the front as well. Don't have a sunroof and not sure where the water is getting in to the car. The rubber round the door's are good, the window's are shut and not leaking. Has anyone got any ideas where I can look? Please help, the carpets are starting to get marked where they can't dry out at the moment with so much rain we are having in the UK.

Any progress, Andrew?

Just a update i have removed all the box covering in the boot and found there was big puddle of water in the left side of the boot so have dried up the water and taken the back lights off and resealed with silicon sealer have cleaned out all the drain ways so now lets hope its sorted or maybe 

Thanks for all the pointers to look for

• Like 1