Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Post Service Extra Bar Bonus!

Since going in for the 20k service yesterday, I've had an extra bar on my Battery meter. I am absolutely convinced (and prepared to be proved wrong) that there were two empty/blank bars at the top when full before. I'm sure I posted a photo of this but i post so much rubbish on here that there's far too many of my posts to go through...

image.thumb.png.a002ff3930c3b27aab71614b375476b0.png

38 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Since going in for the 20k service yesterday, I've had an extra bar on my battery meter. I am absolutely convinced (and prepared to be proved wrong) that there were two empty/blank bars at the top when full before. I'm sure I posted a photo of this but i post so much rubbish on here that there's far too many of my posts to go through...

image.thumb.png.a002ff3930c3b27aab71614b375476b0.png

Only ever counted 6 bars on my GS Gen 3 James, so can I have some of what your drinking please?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snap. My RX went in for service on Monday and it came back with a Battery showing more bars than usual. I'm assuming it's something to do with the Hybrid health check that they do. Possibly they load the Battery fully to see if it performs properly for the check whereas in normal use the car's computer  only allows charging to 80-90%. Someone on here will know the answer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

Snap. My RX went in for service on Monday and it came back with a battery showing more bars than usual. I'm assuming it's something to do with the Hybrid health check that they do. Possibly they load the battery fully to see if it performs properly for the check whereas in normal use the car's computer  only allows charging to 80-90%. Someone on here will know the answer.

That`s two such reports now as James reported his IS.

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Since going in for the 20k service yesterday, I've had an extra bar on my battery meter. I am absolutely convinced (and prepared to be proved wrong) that there were two empty/blank bars at the top when full before.

I seem to remember you said you were trying Hybrid Assistant a couple of months ago. If you've got any of the records from then you could compare what the percentage state of charge was then and whether it's changed now.

23 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

Possibly they load the battery fully to see if it performs properly for the check whereas in normal use the car's computer  only allows charging to 80-90%

The bars on the meter don't represent the full capacity of the Battery. The lowest my Battery will go is 40% (generally shown as two bars or very occasionally as one bar) and then the engine starts. The engine then keeps running until the Battery has reached 50% (three bars) and then it stops.

In normal use, the Battery percentage is generally in the 50s (three to five bars). I believe the maximum it will go to is 80% at which point motor-generater 1 (MG1) will start drawing power from the Battery to reduce the charge. If the car is stationary MG1 will be spinning the engine as a load to use up the excess power and it sounds as if the engine is running but in fact it isn't using any petrol while being spun by MG1.

If there has been a change in the software, I wonder if they have simply changed the number of bars used to represent any given percentage. This might be because people instinctively think it's good to have more bars rather than fewer, as you would with the petrol tank. But the Battery is more like a container that you're using to collect excess energy. If it's already full you can't collect any excess energy. So ideally you would want the Battery to be around 50% capacity. That would give plenty of room to save energy from braking but also enough already stored for a quick burst of acceleration.

• Like 2

I have occasionally seen the Battery indicator "full" - all bars - after a long hill descent - for the first part of the descent it was in EV (braking regeneration) but once the Battery gauge was "full" the engine started up, but (I assume) not burning fuel but by being turned over the electric motors to use the excess energy being generated that couldn't be stored in the Battery. Once back on the flat the car switched back to EV mode again (actually seemed to run at a higher speed in EV than usual for a while) and the Battery dropped in level but then stayed at it's usual level of showing about 80% charged. My guess is that "extra" after the service is probably to do with the hybrid check but if it reports higher on-going maybe a software change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

I seem to remember you said you were trying Hybrid Assistant a couple of months ago. If you've got any of the records from then you could compare what the percentage state of charge was then and whether it's changed now.

The bars on the meter don't represent the full capacity of the battery. The lowest my battery will go is 40% (generally shown as two bars or very occasionally as one bar) and then the engine starts. The engine then keeps running until the battery has reached 50% (three bars) and then it stops.

In normal use, the battery percentage is generally in the 50s (three to five bars). I believe the maximum it will go to is 80% at which point motor-generater 1 (MG1) will start drawing power from the battery to reduce the charge. If the car is stationary MG1 will be spinning the engine as a load to use up the excess power and it sounds as if the engine is running but in fact it isn't using any petrol while being spun by MG1.

If there has been a change in the software, I wonder if they have simply changed the number of bars used to represent any given percentage. This might be because people instinctively think it's good to have more bars rather than fewer, as you would with the petrol tank. But the battery is more like a container that you're using to collect excess energy. If it's already full you can't collect any excess energy. So ideally you would want the battery to be around 50% capacity. That would give plenty of room to save energy from braking but also enough already stored for a quick burst of acceleration.

A good point about Hybrid Assistant. I'll plug it in again the next time I take the car for a spin. 

I see full bar every time I go downhill and when going up engine is running and keeps running and showing 5 or 6 stripes. Unfortunately I can only use EV mode when going below 30km/h which is only useful in parking lots.

4 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I see full bar every time I go downhill and when going up engine is running and keeps running and showing 5 or 6 stripes. Unfortunately I can only use EV mode when going below 30km/h which is only useful in parking lots.

30km/h in forced EV mode.

But my car (2013) runs up to 44mph in EV mode (i.e. car enables it itself if the conditions are right), meaning it's fairly useful.

Newer models can use EV mode at even higher speeds I understand.

1 hour ago, matt8 said:

30km/h in forced EV mode.

But my car (2013) runs up to 44mph in EV mode (i.e. car enables it itself if the conditions are right), meaning it's fairly useful.

Newer models can use EV mode at even higher speeds I understand.

Thank you. Great info. Did not know that. Mine is 2016. Will it be using EV up to 80 - 90 km/h? I rarely go faster as I do not want to pay fines.

Which are the conditions that must be right in order to have EV mode? Want to pollute as little as possible so if there is something I can do in order to use the power stored in the Battery more efficient I will do that. I only see the EV light when not using the speeder pedal or when braking.

20210105_153860.jpg

I would agree with the use of Hybrid Assistant. I recently purchase an OBDLink LX to use with Hybrid Assistant/Hybrid Reporter and I have to say it is very good indeed. A wealth of information can be analysed and the real-time functionality of the Hybrid Assistant can help guide you to improve your efficiency and hybrid driving techniques.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have tried my hardest, but I just can't get that elusive post-hybrid Battery health check extra bar to come back.

Immediately after health check: image.png.739ccbb9dfc1370e0a189c76d453683a.png

The best I can do now: image.thumb.png.3e80b5f9eb3c0a27cf1959a0901a2e35.png

It's like there's something missing from my life. I can't sleep, I can't concentrate on work. I've turned to drink (well, that's not strictly accurate as I was already pointing in that direction anyway) and today's music just doesn't sound like it did in the good old days. Damn you Lexus and your hybrid Battery health checks giving me false hope of getting a fully lit up Battery meter.... *

* I hope you do all realise that I'm saying that with a pinch of salt :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1