Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi 

What Battery would you guys recommend for a 1999 lexus ls400? Is it best to buy from the dealers? 

I've sorted out all the advisories on the mot from back in November, and now the Battery is weak, I can tell because of the way it struggles to start up first thing in the morning, and few weeks ago was totally flat, but I managed to jump start it, and now from time I get the check vsc come up. 

Thanks in advance. 

I have an old trade card for Halfords, so tend to get the Calcium or Silver batteries, have never had issues with them or Yuasa (silver) and the halfrods own brand used to be made by Bosch (unsure if still the case), plus the warranty cover is pretty decent. Unsure how the prices stack up against LPD but I had presumed (maybe incorrectly) that they would be a rip off. About to replace my '96 LS Battery as it has a Lion Battery (aka big paperweight) so I will be on the prowl soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

so I will be on the prowl soon.

you might find that an OEM Lexus main dealer / Toyota Battery will be great value for money .......  and they'll possibly just fit it for you while u wait ...... a 10 min ( free ) job for them

Malc

4 hours ago, Malc said:

you might find that an OEM Lexus main dealer / Toyota battery will be great value for money .......  and they'll possibly just fit it for you while u wait ...... a 10 min ( free ) job for them

Malc

I have a good relationship with my local dealer so I will probs give them a call and see what they can do for moi 😄

• Like 1

I have bought, time and again (over the years for my Mk4 LS400 and now for my LS430). They fit and are the cheapest but expect maximum performance for 2-3 (2 years is the warranty period from Lexus).  The other I would recommend (used for my Porsche) is the Bosch (I think S4 for the LS400) and it actually felt much better and comes with a 4 year warranty.  If you look around you should be able to get for a decent price.  The major disadvantages with the Bosch :  you will have to arrange for the fitting (I bought mine online) and of course if it's still under warranty you need to return and wait for the replacement to be delivered so I think the Bosch is a better longer lasting Battery but I find it much easier to just get the car to Lexus and let them replace (whether under warranty or not) it rather than have to arrange for removal, shipping and fitting. 

I must confess that my latest Ls400 Battery is a Yusuaf ? and was about £70 thru my indy ...  he supplied and fitted when he replaced the alternator as when that went pop it also took out the Battery

HOWEVER, when the Honda Legend Battery failed this winter the RAC were called out and I went with their Varta Battery replacement at £137.99 with a 5 year warranty ...........  and my thoughts are that if it fails prematurely then the RAC have all the documentation and warranty stuff and WILL replace it .....  labour too

Malc

People have mixed results on claiming against a Battery warranty whatever the manufacturer. The only cover manufacturing faults which are rare; most failures, especially in the last year, are due to lack of use/discharged state and are therefore not covered.

Best to find a good retailer that will swap out a failed Battery almost no questions asked and let them take it up with the manufacturer. If you have to claim directly then you are going to struggle.

Most have warranty T&Cs close to this:

Warranty Coverage

Batteries sold are sold with a warranty against premature failure due to manufacturing or material defects only.
Due to the high quality of standards of the technical and manufacturing, the number of batteries that fail due to manufacturing defects is negligible.

Battery problems that ARE covered as a manufacturing fault.
● Short circuit / Dead Cell.
● Internal Break – unless caused by the Battery being dropped or damaged by the customer.
● Premature failure due to manufacturing or material defect.

Battery problems that ARE NOT covered by the manufacturing warranty
● Physical Damage
● Sulphation
● Wear and Tear
● Deep Cycling  / Over discharging
● Over charging
● Under charging
● Incorrect Application

If you fancy a “genuine” Toyota Battery they come up at the price below!

IIRC any Toyota part number beginning with the usual 5 numbers but then ending in 5 letters are apparently “budget” parts (oil filters are another example).

8A2C02DA-3B8A-4E5D-BEBD-BA0A3DD58BCB.png

• Like 1

Years ago I used a local motor factors for my Mark 4 LS400 Battery - after about a year the car failed to start - they swapped it over without quibble - In this case I was able to approach them face to face with proof of purchase - that's one advantage of buying local - ideally a well established outlet

Couple of years ago i replaced my LS430 Battery with an Exide one from car parts for less which I think had a 3 year warranty - my thinking here CPFL will still be around in 3 years time and Exide are a Battery business so the chances of it failing were less.

I think if you stick to a mainstream business and keep your proof purchase then you cannot go wrong - just do your homework beforehand and make sure the correct amperage and CCA Battery is fitted.

4 hours ago, cruisermark said:

I think if you stick to a mainstream business and keep your proof purchase then you cannot go wrong

that's primarily why I went with the RAC provided and fitted Varta 5 year warranty Battery ........  albeit maybe at a little challenging price !

I guess so few buyers would likely be around at 5 years to make a claim ..........  maybe they just don't understand Ls400 owners :yahoo:

Malc

Since I bought my Celsior back in 2006 I must have replaced the Battery 4 or 5 times with 2 Toyota branded and 3 aftermarket. 

Personally I think lack of regular use causes them to fail, once they go flat they never seem to fully recover from a charge and completely fail a short time later.

For the last few years I have been using a “Smart Charger” which I regularly connect. This appears to keep the Battery in good condition as the present one is now in its 4th year with a 3 year warranty.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Since I bought my Celsior back in 2006 I must have replaced the battery 4 or 5 times with 2 Toyota branded and 3 aftermarket. 

Personally I think lack of regular use causes them to fail, once they go flat they never seem to fully recover from a charge and completely fail a short time later.

For the last few years I have been using a “Smart Charger” which I regularly connect. This appears to keep the battery in good condition as the present one is now in its 4th year with a 3 year warranty.

I totally agree with that, regular use makes a car Battery more efficient and last longer.