Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it time for a new NX or stick with the existing one?

Hi

I currently own a 2015 NX300h Luxury which I bought via a PCP almost three years and is now it is decision time so I have a few questions.

The first option is just to hand over the car and walk away. I dont fancy this as I like Lexus (the current one is my 3rd) and am minded to continue with them

The second is to finance the existing car either via a loan or a further PCP. Any thoughts in this? The car has only doen 33k miles so there should be plenty of life in it yet but what are your experiences of the NX and service costs once it passes 5 years old?

The third option is to trade in against a newer NX and I have a few questions on this process.

At the time of purchase there was an indication that the PX value could exceed to balloon payment. What are your experiences of this or was it sales talk?

My local Lexus dealers has several NX in stock. They describe one as NX300h plus premium pack and leather, another a NX300h F Sport and yet another as NX300 F-Sport plus premium pack and leather. I thought they all had leather? Even the least expensive version in the photos had flaps for changing gear (a little toy I suspect which you give up on quite quickly)

I have always found my NX Luxury very comfortable and when I have replaced the tyres they are a decent price (£115/tyre). What are your experiences of the F Sport model from a ride perspective and the cost of tyres?

Can anyone advise of the engine and drivetrain in 2019-2020 models is any different to that in the 2015 model? Any difference in the petrol consumption (I get about 37-38mpg)?

Are there any other upgrades that came in the facelift model?

Is there a way to establish the original list price of a second hand car so I can assess if the higher rates of tax will be payable? 

Finally the wider satnav screen seems to hard to read according to other posts so the use of a head-up display seems to be preferred. What models have this facility?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks for your assistance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keywest said:

Is there a way to establish the original list price of a second hand car so I can assess if the higher rates of tax will be payable? 

If you do a car tax check on the gov website, it will tell you if the extra rate is payable.

48971820_Screenshot2021-01-07at09_43_25.thumb.png.5bb7573eabdd710816fe4287867af0fd.png

If this row isn't present, then the car doesn't have the extra tax payable.

I have a 2018 facelift model.  I believe one of the other extras is the adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning.  I love the adaptive cruise - makes driving on motorways so easy.  You've already mentioned the wider SatNav screen - I really like this but the text is quite small.  However I use Apple CarPlay most of the time now.

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of mine in the near future.  With lockdowns and the fact we now have an electric car in the household, the NX just isn't getting used.  I've only done around 3k miles in the last year.  Just don't know what to replace it with.  We need a 2nd car that is big enough to take suitcases on long journeys - just doesn't need to be a £30-40k car!

• Like 1

With regards to fuel consumption, I have a 2018 facelift NX Luxury and I'm achieving similar figures to what you have quoted for your 2015 model (my MPG varies slightly depending on the season - just under 40 in the winter and just over 40 in the summer).

In general, apart from some minor changes that have been referenced in this topic, I wouldn't imagine that you will notice a great deal of difference between your current NX and a slightly newer, facelifted, one.

I've never had any issues with the larger satnav screen but, like @pobrown, I have taken advantage of the upgrade to apple CarPlay and Android Auto that was available to NXs built in 2018 and after. If the screen is indeed a problem for you, you may want to look for a NX that has had the retrofit (or at least is eligible for it).

Mine's not a F Sport model so I can't comment on the differences there.

Also have a 2015 Luxury (purchased outright from new in my case). I considered part-exchange for a post-facelift model a couple of years ago, but didn't bother because the changes in spec were barely noticeable. The next generation (due next year?) should see a big improvement in economy and the option of a plug-in hybrid if it's based, as expected, on the new RAV4 TNGA platform. So is it an option for you to buy out or finance your current car & then PX for the next gen model (new or used) in a year or two?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, keywest said:

They describe one as NX300h plus premium pack and leather, another a NX300h F Sport and yet another as NX300 F-Sport plus premium pack and leather. I thought they all had leather?

The base grade doesn't have leather as standard, It has the Tahara synthetic leather. You need the 'premium pack plus' (premium pack and leather) option pack to get real leather.

All F Sports and Takumi grades have leather as standard and there is no premium pack for the F Sport, the only option is the Takumi pack.

17 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

The base grade doesn't have leather as standard, It has the Tahara synthetic leather. You need the 'premium pack plus' (premium pack and leather) option pack to get real leather.

All F Sports and Takumi grades have leather as standard and there is no premium pack for the F Sport, the only option is the Takumi pack.

Which is better, Tahara or the real leather?

Just now, royoftherovers said:

Stork or Butter, Geoff ?

I have real leather in my GS and love it but was wondering how the Tahara feels and how it wears compared to leather.

If you plan to purchase a vehicle outright, you ought to keep the vehicle for a while in order for it to be cost effective. Unless you are talking abt some minority cars where it doesnt depreciate and instead keep climbing in value.

if you are gonna switch often enough, then just get the car you want on a monthly payment you are happy with.

17 hours ago, keywest said:

Thanks for all of the replies. I have decided to buy out the finance and keep the car for another coupe of years and then see what is on offer then. 

Good move I think 👍