Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving on snow

In answer to the question about where we live, it is a very small village at 3000 ft up a 6 km small and steep mountain road. The road is cleared regularly so it is not a problem unless you want to leave or are coming back from somewhere when it is snowing. I suppose we would put chains on then. But we do go skiing and you can get caught in bad weather then. However as I said before we obviously WILL have snow tyres as we do now on the xtrail. Thanks for all your answers and I think we will go for an NX.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chris elliott said:

In answer to the question about where we live, it is a very small village at 3000 ft up a 6 km small and steep mountain road. The road is cleared regularly so it is not a problem unless you want to leave or are coming back from somewhere when it is snowing. I suppose we would put chains on then. But we do go skiing and you can get caught in bad weather then. However as I said before we obviously WILL have snow tyres as we do now on the xtrail. Thanks for all your answers and I think we will go for an NX.

Good for you Chris. I think you’ll enjoy the car very much and I’m sure that on the right tyres it will be fine for what you’ve explained. Good luck with your purchase and it would be good to hear back at some point when you’ve had chance to use it in these conditions. Thanks! 😀

Had to venture out in today's heavy snow (for approved reasons) and the NX was fine on ungritted & unplowed local country roads with some steepish uphill stretches, including one where I passed several stuck vehicles. However I credit the Michelin CrossClimates with a lot of this. The last time we had any significant snowfall, the NX did not inspire confidence on its OEM Bridgestones. I suspect with the relatively small amounts of snow most of the UK generally gets, tyre choice is almost as important as the vehicle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin J said:

Had to venture out in today's heavy snow (for approved reasons) and the NX was fine on ungritted & unplowed local country roads with some steepish uphill stretches, including one where I passed several stuck vehicles. However I credit the Michelin CrossClimates with a lot of this. The last time we had any significant snowfall, the NX did not inspire confidence on its OEM Bridgestones. I suspect with the relatively small amounts of snow most of the UK generally gets, tyre choice is almost as important as the vehicle.

Looking forward to getting mine done however due to the very low mileage I’m doing nowadays and the fact I still have 3mm tread depth I will defer this for a while. Just hope I don’t get stuck anywhere!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

isn't a good deal of the consideration to have a vehicle that can plough itself thru some of those drifts and get out the other side ok ..........  and continue onwards ?

I don't know the clearance level under the NX nor any other vehicles tbh BUT I'd have thought a big Toyota Land Cruiser of some sought would be my preferred " safe " vehicle .....  and summat else for normal driving conditions maybe ........  a lesser car is ok provided it does actually get you thru those drifts and out the other side, NX or not

I've been driving my AWD 56 plate Honda Legend these past days in the icy road conditions here in Kent ....  ( knowing my Ls400 would fail at the first attempt ) and then popping it into " snow mode " also helps sensitise the traction and makes the AWD better responsive I guess ...........  and it seems to work ok too :yes:

Malc

oh for the white stuff to vanish eh !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting an NX soon, and i live in rural(ish) Scotland. Plan A is to get all season tyres for next winter as use them all the time. What I'm interested is the engine braking performance of the hybrid. The car will have "flappy paddles" so hopefully i'll be able to use virtual gears to slow down a bit without using the pedals. Any thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, RichieinScotland said:

I'm getting an NX soon, and i live in rural(ish) Scotland. Plan A is to get all season tyres for next winter as use them all the time. What I'm interested is the engine braking performance of the hybrid. The car will have "flappy paddles" so hopefully i'll be able to use virtual gears to slow down a bit without using the pedals. Any thoughts on this?

Get a subaru forester .............. best car I ever had in the snow . 4 wheel drive (2+2) on CRV is not bad either ,I was at Kinloss so know what the weather up there is like . All round I would go for a forester with Michelin Cross Climates (superb in winter and great in summer as well )

All the IS200 . IS250 ,GS450h . were all crap in winter ice and snow . The SC I have now is only a summer car so will not use it in snow . 

FORGET the badge and get a car suitable for the type of weather you WILL meet .The forester is a real nice vehicle to drive and just as prestige's as the lower runabouts like the NX 

10 hours ago, nicnac said:

Get a subaru forester .............. best car I ever had in the snow . 4 wheel drive (2+2) on CRV is not bad either ,I was at Kinloss so know what the weather up there is like . All round I would go for a forester with Michelin Cross Climates (superb in winter and great in summer as well )

All the IS200 . IS250 ,GS450h . were all crap in winter ice and snow . The SC I have now is only a summer car so will not use it in snow . 

FORGET the badge and get a car suitable for the type of weather you WILL meet .The forester is a real nice vehicle to drive and just as prestige's as the lower runabouts like the NX 

Managed with 2wd and winters so far (about 20 years up here) but use the gears and the engine to brake a lot, so I’ll be happy with the NX for the flat and uphill, just wondering about the downhill bits! 😂

2 hours ago, RichieinScotland said:

Managed with 2wd and winters so far (about 20 years up here) but use the gears and the engine to brake a lot, so I’ll be happy with the NX for the flat and uphill, just wondering about the downhill bits! 😂

Your choice ....................only advice ............... but why not get a more capable vehicle for the terrain ...................

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Is the Subaru largely a TOYOTA Nic ?

No John .Subaru are totally their own design . They have an equal 4 wheel drive distribution system which is really good in offroad and snow /ice with the right tyres of course. They also have an X Mode which works to assist the traction . Having experience in both I would highly recommend them for those in harshish environments. 

They dont have the Lexus name , but far superior for rougher terrain driving . 

They are very nice machines to drive as well . 

12 minutes ago, nicnac said:

No John .Subaru are totally their own design . They have an equal 4 wheel drive distribution system which is really good in offroad and snow /ice with the right tyres of course. They also have an X Mode which works to assist the traction . Having experience in both I would highly recommend them for those in harshish environments. 

I accept what you say and I did know all of that Nic. I failed to explain that there is a relationship between the Subaru and Toyota Companies to the effect that Toyota has a investment in Subaru. I believe that this may lead to an exchange of technologies.

I certainly remember the little Justy from Subaru.

19 minutes ago, nicnac said:

I like the Subaru but wanted the premium feel of the Lexus, and also if I can manage the normal commute in a 2wd then the additional kick of AWD when needed should be all that I need for traction. It’s more braking. Is the Forester a CVT box? If so any tips for driving one would be appreciated 👍 

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I accept what you say and I did know all of that Nic. I failed to explain that there is a relationship between the Subaru and Toyota Companies to the effect that Toyota has a investment in Subaru. I believe that this may lead to an exchange of technologies.

I certainly remember the little Justy from Subaru.

I think about 20% share financially but I cant see Toyota using the boxer and symmetrical AWD system .They have not as of 2021 . 

For the sake of the thread on winter driving . I bought a Subaru in 2010 because my GS450h was marooned at work .I just could not get from home or back . I drove the forester  and the amount of drivers I saw stranded was quite funny . Slithering around on the least of inclines . The forester just literally drove past them with ease as they floundered . I sold the 450h after 6 months . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichieinScotland said:

I like the Subaru but wanted the premium feel of the Lexus, and also if I can manage the normal commute in a 2wd then the additional kick of AWD when needed should be all that I need for traction. It’s more braking. Is the Forester a CVT box? If so any tips for driving one would be appreciated 👍 

Its more the way the Subaru symmetrical AWD  works that matters Ritchie . A lot of "so called" 4 wheel drive do not cut it in the snow . Yes it is CVT and you have a system called Xmode which is fantastic . You really should go to a dealer and try one . 

I sat in an outback premier  recently and thought to myself ...........this is as plush as a Lexus !!!!!!!!! there you go .... I love the Lexus premium feel , but actually the Subaru is lovely these days !!

13 minutes ago, nicnac said:

It’s more braking.

Im afraid braking in any car in slippery conditions is a difficult one ! . Xmode in the snow will do all of that thinking for you , but its down largely to your tyres . I have found that Michelin Cross climates meet most conditions , both summer and winter with good results . They are snowflake marked so can be used as a winter tyre in places where it is mandatory . 

I reckon if I lived in Knocando thats what I would have ... A forester on Cross Climates .....................and of course a 12 bore to fend of the locals !!!!😎

2 hours ago, nicnac said:

Im afraid braking in any car in slippery conditions is a difficult one ! . Xmode in the snow will do all of that thinking for you , but its down largely to your tyres . I have found that Michelin Cross climates meet most conditions , both summer and winter with good results . They are snowflake marked so can be used as a winter tyre in places where it is mandatory . 

I reckon if I lived in Knocando thats what I would have ... A forester on Cross Climates .....................and of course a 12 bore to fend of the locals !!!!😎

I must admit i didn't drive the Forester as got a great deal on a Lexus, so i went for that. Thanks for the advice on the Michelins, i'll get them at the end of the year. And enjoy the Scooby 🙂

44 minutes ago, RichieinScotland said:

I must admit i didn't drive the Forester as got a great deal on a Lexus, so i went for that.

enjoy .......................hopefully on this side of the dyke!😬😂😂😂