Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cat Converter theft

JerryJerry

44 minutes ago, nicnac said:

OK now I get it..  Thought did come to my mind however by the time I've been to the cabinet, unlocked the door with 2 locks, find which cartridge to use, load up, go out the house.. They'd be long gone 😂 and yes I would be arrested. I had an off the cuff chat with my FEO and most certainly will lose my guns and licence and maybe a record for protecting your own property.. 

16 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

OK now I get it..  Thought did come to my mind however by the time I've been to the cabinet, unlocked the door with 2 locks, find which cartridge to use, load up, go out the house.. They'd be long gone 😂 and yes I would be arrested. I had an off the cuff chat with my FEO and most certainly will lose my guns and licence and maybe a record for protecting your own property.. 

What if you invite them in for a cuppa ?............would it be ok to CORRECT  them ??

PS : you should always have a contingency plan and have it as a memory item to deal with such cases ........ just like in an aircraft !

1 hour ago, nicnac said:

Unfortunately if you defended your own property on your own land you may still and probably would be charged with excessive force and you would be the one incarcerated .  

If on the other hand the sub species that go round stealing like this were to be met with superior force  on a few occasions , they might think twice about going down that route ..............

I believe in the rule of law and do not condone  violence , but do believe in the right to protect yourself and your property ................ 

I`ll drink to that Nick, but poor old Tony Martin got put away largely because our Politicians and Judiciary are born without B****.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nicnac said:

Just as another thought ......................what if you went out and shot out there tyres on the getaway car ................would that be ok ?

Do it from a mile away via a snipers hut, wearing full Ayatollah`s uniform and a prosthetic leg, just in case you get hauled before the Beak !

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ll drink to that Nick, but poor old Tony Martin got put away largely because our Politicians and Judiciary are born without B****.

Yes john , 

That was a blatant case of injustice .

He should have just been charged with a unregistered firearm and admonished .

The poor devil made the mistake of leaving the other one alive . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nicnac said:

Just as another thought ......................what if you went out and shot out there tyres on the getaway car ................would that be ok ?

Nope.. Will get done for discharging a firearm in a public place

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Do it from a mile away via a snipers hut, wearing full Ayatollah`s uniform and a prosthetic leg, just in case you get hauled before the Beak !

is that the case of not having a leg to stand on >???????????? Good thinking . !!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

Nope.. Will get done for discharging a firearm in a public place

Would be worth it Andrew !!! Can you imagine the look on there faces as you went out with your OU . Brings to mind Clint !

correction ........Bring the Semi instead!

24 minutes ago, nicnac said:

Would be worth it Andrew !!! Can you imagine the look on there faces as you went out with your OU . Brings to mind Clint !

correction ........Bring the Semi instead!

Take your pick.. I got Semi, O/U and pump 🙂

4 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

Take your pick.. I got Semi, O/U and pump 🙂

nice ............ may I ask which ones / ..............PM me if you dont want to share info on here 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicnac said:

nice ............ may I ask which ones / ..............PM me if you dont want to share info on here 

I'll just generalise so there's no harm.. Browning Cynergy for the O/U, Benelli and Benelli for the Semi and Pump 🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

I'll just generalise so there's no harm.. Browning Cynergy for the O/U, Benelli and Benelli for the Semi and Pump 🙂

very Nice ............. Miroku based I take it  but newer action .Benelli are great semis ............. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a spate of CATs being stolen over the last few weeks in my area, all neighbouring roads. They seem to be Jazz's, CRVs and Lexus but I don't know what models, although some have been the Prius.

My brother used to work for Toyota/Lexus and I was talking to him about getting a catloc. He said they still get nicked with them fitted, it happened to customers and colleagues. They even stole several in one go from a dealers forecourt.

We hardly use the car now and have too many anyway so I'm seriously considering selling it now.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, JerryJerry said:

hi all - will not end the problem but some good news. 

Am sorely tempted to go along to the trial and vent.

https://news.met.police.uk/news/police-operation-to-stop-thefts-of-catalytic-converters-423914

You beat me to it!

On 2/5/2021 at 4:42 PM, ColinBarber said:

Not a popular target, certainly not yet anyway.

I have seen a YouTube video featuring an IS which claimed that the cat on this model is particularly inaccessible.

Pictures taken under the car revealed that only a very small part of the cat is visible, shown to be positioned vertically and covered by a heat shield shroud.  The rest is only accessible from above - and again only with some difficulty.

Perhaps at the next service, if I go along, I’ll try to have a look when it’s up on the hoist, and check if this applies to my version.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, -Rich- said:

Been a spate of CATs being stolen over the last few weeks in my area, all neighbouring roads. They seem to be Jazz's, CRVs and Lexus but I don't know what models, although some have been the Prius.

My brother used to work for Toyota/Lexus and I was talking to him about getting a catloc. He said they still get nicked with them fitted, it happened to customers and colleagues. They even stole several in one go from a dealers forecourt.

We hardly use the car now and have too many anyway so I'm seriously considering selling it now.

Removal time for a cat without v with a Lexus Catlock fitted to a CT200h, goes from less than 3 mins to nearer 30 mins if additional tools are available.

Considering the meagre rewards the thieves get from the scrap guy's maybe £50-£100 dunno! I can see why they would not want to spend the additional time stealing a protected cat when there are many more unprotected cars available.

Considering the vast number being stolen, my dealer or postings I have read on other sites have no reported owner cases, were Lexus fitted Catloc CT200h cars have had the cat stolen. I am sure there maybe cases but I still consider that the investment I made is most likely a well considered deterrent.  

• 1 month later...

I just saw this! 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/toyota-uk-offers-tracking-kits-to-combat-catalytic-converter-theft/ar-BB1gJgfX?li=BBoPWjQ

ANybody knows about it? I will be calling Lexus Glasgow today wrt my Battery Health Cheack and will ask them about tracking kits!