Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reliable/accurate tyre pressure gauge

Does anyone have a brand/model that they'd recommend from experience? I bought a digital one from amazon for about 6 quid and unsurprisingly it reads about 7 psi or ½ a bar less than what the TPMS is telling me via Carista.  I'm suspecting the gauge rather than the TPMS..

On the upside, the cheap gauge did match the Mesa Red paintwork but that was it's only redeeming feature, oh, and I can return it for a refund.

I too bought the TireTek off amazon as supplied by Odyseaco.

I think the pressure range is more appropriate for car tyres and I liked the rubber bumper protection.  Also the way it retains the reading when disconnected and its use as a way of deflating tyres.

Only downside for some these days is that it’s made in China - but the distributor is in the UK.

It proved to be very easy to use and consistent in its readings.  And you can complete an online registration for a 12 month warranty.

As it happens it developed a fault after 6 months! It ceased to hold the recorded pressure on removal.

I contacted Odyseaco and they sent a replacement by return and told me not to bother to return the faulty gauge.  This has performed perfectly ever since.

Out of curiosity I researched this problem and found it was a known - but rare - event and was easily rectified.  So I feel a bit guilty but I do now have two working TireTek gauges!  Meanwhile, full marks to TireTek customer service!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LenT said:

I too bought the TireTek off Amazon as supplied by Odyseaco.

I think the pressure range is more appropriate for car tyres and I liked the rubber bumper protection.  Also the way it retains the reading when disconnected and its use as a way of deflating tyres.

Only downside for some these days is that it’s made in China - but the distributor is in the UK.

It proved to be very easy to use and consistent in its readings.  And you can complete an online registration for a 12 month warranty.

As it happens it developed a fault after 6 months! It ceased to hold the recorded pressure on removal.

I contacted Odyseaco and they sent a replacement by return and told me not to bother to return the faulty gauge.  This has performed perfectly ever since.

Out of curiosity I researched this problem and found it was a known - but rare - event and was easily rectified.  So I feel a bit guilty but I do now have two working TireTek gauges!  Meanwhile, full marks to TireTek customer service!

I've bought 3 during the last 2 years , no issues so far , recently they had a promotion to register for a lifetime warranty but I never received the confirmation email , but at the price offered I don't mind 

• Thanks 1

I have two, a TireTec and a Draper, both similar to the ones linked here.  They read within one psi of each other, that's sufficiently accurate for me.  Unless they're both 25% error 😱.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Herbie said:

This is the one that I bought and I have to say it's excellent. Good, clear, easy to read and very accurate. Highly recommended.

I also have one of these.  Very happy with it so far.

I am seriously considering a compressor now myself.

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

I am seriously considering a compressor now myself.

I got one from either Aldi or Lidl. I can't remember which it was but I'm almost sure that they've both sold compressors in the past.

It was either £79 or £89 at the time and primarily bought for blowing out all the dust and crud from computers before I set about repairing them. It's been excellent for all sorts of things, including the car tyres. Highly recommended.

thats the one i have from Aldi the blue Ferrox i think it has a 25ltr tank

its bloody noisy @ 98Db so i made an mdf enclosure and lined it with foam to

sound proof it you can now talk whilst standing next to it when its running,

i have a manifold on the wall where i have an airline and a wall mounted reel

connected to it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info chaps.

Ideally I would want something with a bigger tank so it doesn't kick in every few seconds and can operate some air tools as well.

Still, the Aldi/Lidl one is tempting given the price...

10 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Thanks for the info chaps.

Ideally I would want something with a bigger tank so it doesn't kick in every few seconds and can operate some air tools as well.

Still, the Aldi/Lidl one is tempting given the price...

here is a link for the compressor

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-2-5hp-air-compressor/p/705785387017900

for me i have space issue in the garage as i lost a chunk for a utility room

so i cant have a compressor thats too big,

with an output of 9.3cfm this will run most tools you'd need at home and 2.5hp motor it refills pretty quickly .

its not for professional use as it would be charging up all day long but for home use its great.

20201107_190844.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Mark.

It seems to no longer be available?  Also, I have read that if you want to use an impact driver than a 25 litre tank isn't advisable.

I have found this one that I like to look of:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc50h-50-litre-high-flow-air-compressor

Will now have to see if the missus allows it 🙂

i have been looking for a knackered 24ltr compressor so i can

remotely add a tank onto my compressor to increase its capacity

i'd probably locate it in the roof space of the garage,

dont tell the missus and when she finds it tell her you've had it ages

just like her new outfit you found in the wardrobe 🙂

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

It seems to no longer be available?  Also, I have read that if you want to use an impact driver than a 25 litre tank isn't advisable.

Nice piece of kit and modestly priced.  I thought I’d paid over the odds for my 2nd hand Performance Power one but it did come with a whole pile of extras including an unused heavy duty stapler gun with staples, paint spraying attachments and a really good tyre inflator with gauge. Very noisy so might use the stapler gun to build a soundproof housing!  Useful as a golf shoe cleaner too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Ordered this a few weeks ago.

Returning my second unit and have declined a third.

I'm finding quality control is poor.

Don't bother with this.

Can't fault the service though. Quick and helpful. Once I get my refund I can say so confidently.

3 hours ago, matt8 said:

Ordered this a few weeks ago.

Returning my second unit and have declined a third.

I'm finding quality control is poor.

Don't bother with this.

Can't fault the service though. Quick and helpful. Once I get my refund I can say so confidently.

Hmm, this isn't good.

It is a shame because I really value good customer service.

If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with your one(s)?

I don't suppose anyone can recommend something similar perhaps?

Thanks.

Firstly, as regards tyre pressure gauges.  Many of those on the market require you ensure the gauge is held firmly and squarely for an accurate reading.   It's probably easier to have one of the type with a connector that actually locks on the valve by using a lever. 

However, like somebody who criticised the present offerings of the type said, I too have a 50 year old 'Dunlop' pocket gauge with a calibrated inner cylinder that slides out and find it accurate.  (It was used extensively years ago when I was competing in motor cycle trials and we let tyres down for more grip for 'mud plugging' sections and then reinflated for the ride home.  It also served well on some cars and more recently on my RX450h.)  With other cars with short valves or obstructing  spokes, it was awkward to use, so I bought a digital one which again seems to agree with the readings on my RX.  It does have the advantage of beeping 3 times when a figure has been registered,  was cheap and I have had it for a least 14 years.  It looks like the BYFRI one on amazon

Before my small and old Airmate compressor eventually failed, I sometimes used it for blowing up my tyres if there was a queue for air at my usual Petrol Station.  It has been easier to pay 30p occasionally than run out the very long hose off my 50L  v twin compressor which is also very noisy.   If you are contemplating one of the compressors from Aldi or Lidl be aware that the coupling is different to the standard UK one.  I needed to modify some of the German accessories I bought to take UK couplings so I could use with my compressor.

However, I also have a very small tyre compressor which can either run off 12v DC or AC mains. It is kept in the car and would be useful in the event of a slow puncture or very occasional  top up at home on AC as during isolating at home https://www.amazon.co.uk/P-I-Auto-Store-Compressor-Accessories/dp/B074G1BRWH It lacks a preset and cut off so you have to keep an eye on the gauge. I then check separately with my pocket gauge.  It is small, slow and quite noisy but with supplied adapter can also blow up balls etc.