Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, except your don'ts were more like "common sense thing not to do with any car". Like why exactly would you suddenly accelerate in mid corner when road is slippery... ever? 

Well, unless you want to lose control... in which case you will achieve exactly that... even in FWD car.

trust me Linas i have seem lots of wanabe Hamilton's  (BMW) in ditches with the rear of the car taking the impact most of them just after a roundabout.. i can bet you 9 times out of 10 they had their foot down whilst in mid corner which caught them out..

And they would have been in the ditch with any car with the similar power, going at similar speed, the only difference that they would be facing the ditch. + they probably had their stability control off for "better effect".

you could slice and dice it how ever you want to but this does not dispute the fact that FWD is more forgiving in the hands of  "average" joe be it in rain, sleet or snow so a driver who's driven FWD all their life cannot transfer the same driving characteristics over to RWD..   

and one does not have to be driving RWD at similar speed of the FWD to loose the rear end in those conditions.. FWD might forgive you RWD wont.. 

ok... so be it...

but we both agree that with 200hp in shape of IS250 mk2, you really don't need to be specifically bothered about "losing rear end" at any moment. Just not that kind of power where one needs to think twice before driving it in rain or snow.

Isn't that what threads mean to be? 😁

I still would like to know what will happen if car comes into corner too hot and when it starts sliding, the driver brakes and increases steering angle FWD vs. RWD.

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

So Mike how are you finding your rear wheel drive car? You've started a thread which at times looks like a little war or words lol. 

I really find little difference between this car and my previous FWDs. Having read the horror stories about wet road mishandling,I expected worse. It however sticks to the road like **** to a blanket and I am very pleased with it. My only gripe is fuel consumption which around town is horrendous.

I must admit that I never intended to open a 5h1tstorm.

• Haha 1

A good driver should never find themselves losing either front or rear traction in either a fwd or rwd car as they would be driving at a speed suitable for both road and weather conditions!

• Like 1

What kind of mpg you getting then Mike? On ultra short trips I'm getting very high teens. On a run of say 30 miles at legal speeds I'm getting mid to high 30's. I can't remember what age etc your car is and how many miles etc but maybe clean the MAF sensor and even the throttle body. I believe doing that improves the car.

4 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

What kind of mpg you getting then Mike? On ultra short trips I'm getting very high teens. On a run of say 30 miles at legal speeds I'm getting mid to high 30's. I can't remember what age etc your car is and how many miles etc but maybe clean the MAF sensor and even the throttle body. I believe doing that improves the car.

If I drive like a man with an empty fuel tank then I get about 20. If I drive normally and in traffic it can get to 17. Not been on motorway for weeks but last time got over 30 doing a speed over what I should have been doing.

I find that the first few miles gulps and wonder if that is an auto choke thing?

It also does not like being stuck at slow changing traffic lights.

I also admit to being a comfort freak with Ac, heated seats, running lights on and all toys playing. Must use some power?

2 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

A good driver should never find themselves losing either front or rear traction in either a fwd or rwd car as they would be driving at a speed suitable for both road and weather conditions!

Exactly, if you loosing grip on either wheels, then it is already something wrong. I guess that was my point - but I must admit you spelled it out much clearer. 

1 hour ago, markeyszoo said:

I also admit to being a comfort freak with Ac, heated seats, running lights on and all toys playing. Must use some power?

Still... quite a lot. My car has some issues towards the end (192k miles) and few times I got as low as ... 22MPG tank if memory serves. On the motorway I would easily get high 30's even low 40's.

I guess you stating your "spot" consumption? Have you very measured whole tank? If it is anything below ~25 In reasonable driving (even around city) and without winning every traffic light then you probably should look for some issues.

I guess granted with COVID and only very occasional very short runs + could weather, short term fuel consumption could be rather low, but over whole tank it should still be from mid to high 20s.

I have very heavy foot and my all time average was like ~28 driving ~70-80% of time in the city.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links