Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 2 for 1 warranty

KenMavor

So I'm going to ask some silly questions re the Lexus warranty as I need to take one out very soon.  Just trying to get my head around the pre-requisites when buying a Lexus and not necessarily from a Lexus dealer.

1.  Lexus warranty is currently 2 for 1 offer.  Think I've got that right.

2.  Warranty is for cars under 10 years old OR up to 140k miles.  Is the 10 year measurement from first registration date?  Anyone seen, or hear of a car, on a first warranty application being done for a car over 10 years old?

4.  Does the application of a warranty on a non franchise Lexus car require a full Lexus service history along with hybrid Battery check?

4.  Does the warranty require servicing by a Lexus franchise garage?  This is an important one for me as in Aberdeen there is no Lexus dealer only a Toyota dealer and they said they can offer me a Lexus warranty but NOT a service plan.  Would prefer both a warranty and service plan if possible.

Any other information that would be useful in understanding whether a Lexus warranty can be taken out on a non Lexus franchised car?

I don't want to buy a second hand Lexus and then find I cant take out a Lexus warranty on the car.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ken,

In answer:

1. Correct, although it has been 2 for 1 for quite some time now.
  2. Yep, 10 years or 140k miles.  It is 10 years from first registration date. From my understanding, you can purchase a warranty that will apply to a car over 10 years old provided you do so before it does become a decade old e.g. buying 4 years' worth of warranty for a 9 year old car.
  3. (4) You seem to have used the number 4 twice 🙂 Anyway, no, the car doesn't need a full Lexus history to qualify, although it will most likely need to pass a Visual Safety Inspection by the dealer before they will warranty it (which is free).  There are some dealers that will warranty it without one though.
  4. It does stipulate servicing by a Lexus main dealer, but I am unsure if a Toyota one will do.  It would certainly need to be by a franchise.

There is more information here:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty

Personally I have found the warranty very good.  There have been an odd exceptions when something wasn't covered, but I have had a good return on my previous warranties (yet to claim on my current one).

It should also be noted that the way it works is that you need to take the car into the dealer to have it inspected for a fault, which they will then investigate and report back.  However, this is the tricky part: You will have to pay for the inspection if the fault is deemed a non warranty failure.  For me, this meant paying £186 for 1 hours of Lexus' time to diagnose what was potentially a simple fault.  If the repair is judged a warranty claim, and it is accepted by the warranty company, then they will pay this investigation charge and you won't be liable for anything.  So, it can be a bit of a gamble sometimes.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links