Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple Car Play

Dear Lexus Owners, Has anyone managed to have their Lexus upgraded with apple Car Play / Android Play without changing the head unit. I have a 2018 RC F 10th Anniversary and Lexus UK are saying it now can't be upgraded to support apple Car Play but yet it was always scheduled too along with RC 300H, ES, NX and RX. APCP is available in the USA and Japan and as far as I know its its the same head unit in the 2018 models.  I have heard some 3rd parties in the UK can do it too but would like to know if anyone else has done it (without changing the head unit) and if it was successful ? Any solution to install apple Car play would be welcomed as their current infotainment system drives me nuts.

I took a punt on an apple CarPlay solution for my RCF from Ali Express.

The BeatSonic one was a) out of stock at the time and b) 3x the price and c) not wireless...... so having fitted one from china to my wife's mercedes with excellent results I thought why not.

Shortlisted 5 sellers and then selected that down to 1 after exchanging many messages with each of the sellers.

I was ill over Xmas and New Year but plan to fit myself very soon and if successful, I will post up links and a guide.

• Like 2

Same,  I decided to pack my job in the week before Christmas so whilst desperately looking for something new updating the infotainment is one of the first things I need to do once I have frequent money rolling in again. 

I have seen these ali Express units but for the GSF the housing looks like it's the wrong way round as it's for LHD rather than RHD 

2 hours ago, Medster said:

Thanks BillNick, Look forward to hearing the outcome - Hope you are now feeling better.

Much better now thank you. However the wife has insisted on DIY first a foremost lol....Ill get to it soon 🙂

51 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Same,  I decided to pack my job in the week before Christmas so whilst desperately looking for something new updating the infotainment is one of the first things I need to do once I have frequent money rolling in again. 

I have seen these ali Express units but for the GSF the housing looks like it's the wrong way round as it's for LHD rather than RHD 

Are you looking at the replacement Android screen units? I have to say I didn't let the RHD/LHD thing bother me buying only the wiring/module. All the seller asked was model year and which control I had on the center consol. Joystick/Touchpad.

3/5 sellers I contacted said that their unit will not work on the Touchpad. Glad I asked as I read reviews of people that had installed it only to find they cannot move the cursor when in CarPlay mode. Their only option was voice control for every command - big no no!!

The seller I bought it from seemed to be sure Touchpad was fine and I got them to confirm in messaging that it will work so I have fallback.

Here's hoping. Reluctant to pay 3x the amount when I know the units from China can and do work just as well...

By way of update, I watched the BeatSonic install video figuring I could at the very least learn how to take the dash apart (which I did).

Anyway, it seems a lot of the harness' and connectors shown in their video resonate with what I have in the box from China - Supports my generalist attitude of "they're all built in the same place anyway" (famous last words).

Has filled me with a bit more confidence and the desire to get the install done.

But, its VERY cold right now so I am happy to opt for the DIY until we get a clear weekend closer to 10 degrees 🙂

Sounds like you are making progress

I don't blame you either - It is freezing out there however I am  not sure I have the stomach to pull my dash apart - LOL -

Will wait to hear back from you 

I am not that confident to do a job like that .... Gave me heart palpitations watching the video!!   I guarantee that when its put back I will have some screws left over !! LOL !! 

It seems this install though is only for Lexus RC and RCF up to 2015 only ? my 2018 Model has a bigger screen but is everything else the same ?

59 minutes ago, Medster said:

I am not that confident to do a job like that .... Gave me heart palpitations watching the video!!   I guarantee that when its put back I will have some screws left over !! LOL !! 

It seems this install though is only for Lexus RC and RCF up to 2015 only ? my 2018 Model has a bigger screen but is everything else the same ?

Same here, I'll just pay someone to do it for me 😂

easy install and as billy said just have confidence , Ive taken the infotainment system out of a LS600hL about 6 times to fit and replace additional stuff (viatech system and the grom vline 2 systems, initially hair raising but once you’ve done it, makes this install look way easier.... just dont go dropping stuff behind coz believe you me its a pain to fish nuts out even with a magnetic prod 🤣 I’m talking from experience 😬

• Like 1