Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

cleaning Matt paint on a 10th Anniversary RC-F

For those that have the matt paint the accompanying paint care booklet makes it look a daunting task. I am pleased to say that the easiest and best way i have found so far is normal neutral Ph car shampoo with no wax added and well diluted in warm water. and then a water rinse. sponge it dont brush and leather with synthetic cloth.

PXL_20201109_144740111.jpg

• Like 1

It's the door just below the glass that looks a lot more shiny than I'd imagine a matt finish to look. 

I remember looking at a palladium silver matt finish on a Mercedes and commenting how flat it looked. Salesman said it was a pain for finger prints and virtually impossible to keep looking matt.

Have you considered any coatings designed specifically for matt paint?

And to Peter's point - there are coatings which can moderate the gloss as well i.e. some can make paint more matt. Wheres if you applying wax then I guess it always going to make paint more shiny (although maybe nowadays there are waxes for matt pain specifically, I just never came across such product).

On 1/14/2021 at 9:43 AM, timothyrogers62 said:

It more a sheen than a matt. Also the bonnet and roof are glossy carbon items

I think the light sheen looks much better than fully matt.

My neighbour had a car which was totally matt, and very drab looking. On the spots where it had got really dirty behind the front wheels, and places where birds had crapped, they went noticeably shiny, even with super gentle rubbing. When the sun got on it, the shiny spots stood out like a nipple on a cold day.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 9:54 PM, Flytvr said:

I’d go for NGenco.

Wow. Lexus managed to sell Anniversary editions to the public. Thought they’d be stuck in the showrooms forever.

Good second hand buy for me. As far as I could see all aniver were sold 

14 hours ago, Flytvr said:

They still not sold them 🙈

Same company has both, probs kicking themselves! Ironically, when the first lockdown came into force last year, they put the prices up by like £5-7k... for whatever reason.

'lads they arent selling, I've had an idea... lets put the price up!'

Shame it isn't in white (personal fave) as I'd go have a ganders at one and kick tyres and offer them some ridic low ball offer haha!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

I just couldn't spend anytime in a track edition due to the utterly dreadful red interior.

Yeah I have the red interior on my GSF, but the TE seems overly red, also a silly thing that bugs me is that it didn't get an updated steering wheel haha!

Carbon kit does look nice in my opinion. Remember seeing it at FOS and it really did look mega. Still super expensive for what it is.

5 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Yeah I have the red interior on my GSF, but the TE seems overly red, also a silly thing that bugs me is that it didn't get an updated steering wheel haha!

Carbon kit does look nice in my opinion. Remember seeing it at FOS and it really did look mega. Still super expensive for what it is.

Agree, to overly red for me and should have gone with the standard red in the RCF & GSF.

What were they thinking with red carpets, will be nightmare to keep clean 🤦‍♂️ 

8 hours ago, timothyrogers62 said:

Good second hand buy for me. As far as I could see all aniver were sold 

Not by public thought, usually these more special cars are bought at massive discount by dealer reps and principals. Which makes them excellent value for money when few years later they appear on second hand market.

6 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

they put the prices up by like £5-7k... for whatever reason.

'lads they arent selling, I've had an idea... lets put the price up!'

I think it makes sense in a ways, or at least I think I know why they did it. 

Basically, those are "rare" cars so they can always make excuse - "there are only two in UK and this is the price" and they will be right you won't even find another one for sale if you wanted to (the reality is that it seems nobody does). And then they have very reasonable strategy - make it look like they make you excellent offer. It is not as impressive if you get an offer to buy £69k car for £67k, but when the offer is to buy "£79k" car for £67k it may fool somebody ... after all "you making £12k saving.. you know"... 

So yeah.. that was just an age old tactic to make impression of large discount. 

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Not by public thought, usually these more special cars are bought at massive discount by dealer reps and principals. Which makes them excellent value for money when few years later they appear on second hand market.

I think it makes sense in a ways, or at least I think I know why they did it. 

Basically, those are "rare" cars so they can always make excuse - "there are only two in UK and this is the price" and they will be right you won't even find another one for sale if you wanted to (the reality is that it seems nobody does). And then they have very reasonable strategy - make it look like they make you excellent offer. It is not as impressive if you get an offer to buy £69k car for £67k, but when the offer is to buy "£79k" car for £67k it may fool somebody ... after all "you making £12k saving.. you know"... 

So yeah.. that was just an age old tactic to make impression of large discount. 

I am aware of such tactics, I am that saddo that lives on autotrader every evening, spending imaginary money! 😂

Poor explanation on my part - When first listed many moons ago, they were the price you see them at today. When Covid came knocking they put the prices up into the mid and high 80k region, which seemed a bit dumb for the midst of a pandemic. Could of course as you mentioned above be they were trying to dupe people into thinking they had discounted a mid 80k car after restrictions eased. Could argue with them being a Lexus, not gonna be that many eyes on them in comparison to M, RS and AMG cars, so why bother?!

10 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

so why bother?!

I agree.. I don't know either. Just saying - I see what they were trying to do there? Unlikely to succeed, not that sort of car, not that sort of clientele etc. 

• Like 1

I remember visiting AFN in Guildford in the nineties. They had a delivery mileage Audi Quattro Sport (short wheel base) homologation car in the showroom. It had a sticker price of £50k if memory serves. 

I remember the salesman saying that it would be a great car and would have sold if it didn’t look so aggressive and the rear seats weren’t so small?! That motorsport special languished in that dealer for over twenty years until some brave soul came along...either that or they sent it to auction once it’s value passed £200k. 

I’m not saying the track edition is the same. But every dog, tends to have its day... eventually. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...