Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 boot gas struts

I’ll second...third SGS, they are local to me in Derbyshire so I took mine into them.

Super job, release bonnet catch, lift bonnet a few inches then it opens by itself.

They also make a good quality range of trolley jacks, axle stands and other parts at a good price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I’ll second...third SGS, they are local to me in Derbyshire so I took mine into them.

Super job, release bonnet catch, lift bonnet a few inches then it opens by itself.

They also make a good quality range of trolley jacks, axle stands and other parts at a good price.

For some reason they list the LS400 bonnet struts (89-94) twice, but don't have LS430 bonnet struts on their website.
I need a set of bonnet struts as since the colder weather kicked in I've had the bonnet resting on my head when plugging in my Battery maintainer.
Does anyone have part numbers for the bonnet struts for the 430?
I found 5344059115 but SGS can't find anything with that number.

26 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

I need a set of bonnet struts

I'd have thought they would refurbish your existing ones' .....  if you cannot get replacements

when I had my Mazda 323f 💖     towards the end of life, I needed new rear window / hatch ..  struts .....  I sent off the old ones and they refurbished them ..  just like new too

Brilliant company is SGS

Malc

• Like 1

Thanks all. :thumbup:
I'm not keen on the idea of sending them to SGS for refurbishment as I am opening the bonnet every other day at the moment.
Derby is also a bit too far to go for new struts.

I tried amayama but the only ones available are £85 + £31 shipping EACH! 😲

I have messaged that eBay seller about the price Jon so we will see what they say.

I'm happy to pay a reasonable price for these but not £200 for a pair of struts from Japan, or £330 for all 4 struts.

I bought two bonnet struts off eBay three years ago and they were from china £25 the pair and they still work great.

The technology in one of these items is not rocket science and the manufacturing of most worldwide are chinese companies.

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

I have messaged that eBay seller about the price Jon so we will see what they say.

I've had a reply and they are currently out of stock, so they raised their price to prevent orders.
When they get new stock in, they say they will correct the price.
Strange way to run a business, but OK. 🤣

I ordered these in the end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-FRONT-BONNET-HOOD-GAS-STRUTS-FITS-LEXUS-SEDAN-LS430-2001-2006-5344059115-/183390158334
They come with a 3 year warranty and for £17 for the pair I'm not going to be too upset if they fail after that.

• Like 2

oh dear, a broomstick served me well with my Mk1 for some years ........  never opening the bonnet save refilling the screenwash meant very very few visits to the " underside "

Malc

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

Hi

George - please post your opinion of them when they arrive and you have fitted them

Will do. They don't come with the balls, so hopefully I can just pop the old ones off and fit these new ones to the existing balls. 🤞

On 1/11/2021 at 1:02 AM, GEN said:

I would be grateful if someone could recommend a place to obtain replacement gas struts for the boot on the LS430 (2005 model year ;if it makes any difference).

Thank you. 

If you don't find them at SGS I'd go for the pair of new ones on eBay for £15 the pair, I bet they'd be fine.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:36 PM, BigBoomer said:

Will do. They don't come with the balls, so hopefully I can just pop the old ones off and fit these new ones to the existing balls. 🤞

If I remember correctly the ball end on your existing struts will have to be cut across to release the fastening best to do this with the strut in a vice unscrew the fastening from the car first. Screw the ball end to the car and the new struts just clip on.

42 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

They arrived today so delivered in 2 days. 😄
I'll have a go at fitting them tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips on what I might need to do. :thumbup:

Don't forget to drop the engine and gearbox first.

And I strongly recommend a helper to hold the painfully heavy bonnet while you attach the struts. 

• Haha 1