Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

N/S door mirror Folding fault

Alan E

Hi Guys. I am new here and late last year purchased a 55 reg SC430. During my short ownership its has developed a few problems. One of which is frustrating. It's the N/S door mirror, it folds inwards ok, but will not go back to the driving position like the Drivers mirror does. I have to manually move it outwards and when there it is fine.

All  the other adjustments like up/down work great, as does the in/out adjustments. Its just the folding part which is playing up 90% of the time ( it does work 10% of the time) 

Does anyone know if if this user fixable or is it beyond our skill level to correct? I am much obliged for any help or suggestions that could help me. Thanks

Hi. I had a similar problem with my SC which had been unused for a while before I bought it last summer. A liberal dosing of WD 40 between mirror and its bracket did the trick. Good luck - and enjoy 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 10:45 PM, apcbbb said:

Hi. I had a similar problem with my SC which had been unused for a while before I bought it last summer. A liberal dosing of WD 40 between mirror and its bracket did the trick. Good luck - and enjoy 

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your help. I sprayed the mirror housing (Blindly) with WD40 and left for a few days to do it's thing. Tried it yesterday and low and behold Magic it worked as sweet as a nut. Perfect, Thanks very much for helping me sort this out 

18 minutes ago, Alan E said:

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your help. I sprayed the mirror housing (Blindly) with WD40 and left for a few days to do it's thing. Tried it yesterday and low and behold Magic it worked as sweet as a nut. Perfect, Thanks very much for helping me sort this out 

Alan, Not Magic, but a Miracle. Hallelujah!🤣

21 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Alan, Not Magic, but a Miracle. Hallelujah!🤣

You are right there John. I am still in disbelieve I got it rectified so easy. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, markeyszoo said:

I came out 3 days ago and neither mirror would open up. They were frozen solid. Took a couple of miles for them to defrost.

Makes me happy that I live where temperature is 15 degrees Celsius at night and all local born tell me it is freesing cold.

Did you actually drive a couple of miles without mirrors?

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Makes me happy that I live where temperature is 15 degrees Celsius at night and all local born tell me it is freesing cold.

Did you actually drive a couple of miles without mirrors?

the mirror on the front windscreen was working.

Remember that i come from a generation when the outside mirrors were located on the front of the cars wings and useless.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, markeyszoo said:

the mirror on the front windscreen was working.

Remember that i come from a generation when the outside mirrors were located on the front of the cars wings and useless.

"the outside mirrors were located on the front of the cars wings and useless".

and

the wipers were vacuum operated

the indicators were semaphore

the windscreen opened outwards

the drivers door was hinged at the B pillar

the plugs could be changed in  a short while

a de-coke was performed every 10,000 miles and,and,and

Edited by royoftherovers
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

and

You sound the same age as me John, dad had a 1946 Hillman Minx it had semaphores and a opening windscreen and doors hinged on the B pillar, didn't do a de-coke but remember buying pads and a bag of copper rivets and fixing them to the old brake shoes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dixgas said:

You sound the same age as me John, dad had a 1946 Hillman Minx it had semaphores and a opening windscreen and doors hinged on the B pillar, didn't do a de-coke but remember buying pads and a bag of copper rivets and fixing them to the old brake shoes.

And did we both sleep with Anita Ekberg and have a peek at Dad`s copy of Reveille,  David?

9 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

And did we both sleep with Anita Ekberg and have a peek at Dad`s copy of Reveille,  David?

Jane Asher for me John, Macca was mad letting her slip away, dad must have kept his mags well hidden.

39 minutes ago, Dixgas said:

Jane Asher for me John, Macca was mad letting her slip away, dad must have kept his mags well hidden.

Not wishing to upset you old pal, but I think I slept with Jane Asher before you did. A really lovely girl.

As was Marianne Faithfull before she slid down a hole.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Not wishing to upset you old pal, but I think I slept with Jane Asher before you did. A really lovely girl.

As was Marianne Faithfull before she slid down a hole.

You b******d I knew there was something going on.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

and

Wing mirrors on Toyota Camry

img033.jpg

related but not the same ................if you have a problem with your door mirrors not going up /down /left right. There are 2 motors in the unit that can be replaced / repaired . The IS mirrors have the same motors and are more common to buy on eBay

PS I thought I was the only one they slept with ........

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links