Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Earth strap .

Captain sly

Hi, I have an earth problem on the soarer (no, I don't mean mud on her 😀) when I try to start her there is nothing,  dead, but when I jump start by going to the Battery positive and earth anywhere on the engine she starts first time every time and when the Battery is good, if it is dead I just jump negative Battery to engine anywhere and it works. Am I better off tracing the old earth and cleaning it, or just fit a new earth strap? 

34 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I think I'd be inclined to just fit a new one.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking ..... It's good to get confirmation that it's what someone else would do.

It's the V8 so same as LS400, where would you go with earth if you don't mind me asking?  

I have no idea I'm afraid - I've got an RX450h so never seen under the bonnet of a Soarer/LS400.

I'd say it should be alright anywhere as long as you can get access to clean the area and make a good, tight connection.

• Thanks 1

Looks like there are 2 earth points from the negative  battery clamp, strange coincidence if both ground points have failed but they look easy enough to trace and access.

I would think the shorter one goes to the body and the longer one to the engine block....just thought the engine is sat on rubber mounts so maybe would explain no circuit if that lead is not connected correctly.

8B59D632-5C04-42D8-8DFD-6F6156B1FBAF.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Looks like there are 2 earth points from the negative  battery clamp, strange coincidence if both ground points have failed but they look easy enough to trace and access.

I would think the shorter one goes to the body and the longer one to the engine block....just thought the engine is sat on rubber mounts so maybe would explain no circuit if that lead is not connected correctly.

8B59D632-5C04-42D8-8DFD-6F6156B1FBAF.png

Thanks for that, very helpful. Thinking about it, all the other electrics work, it's just dead when I crank it so probably is the one going to the engine hence it cranks when I connect negative directly to the engine. Next time I will try connecting negative to a clean good body contact see what I get.

Also, I'm probably in the wrong place, so if anyone wants to move the thread to the right place feel free to do so, I'm just finding my way around 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links