Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cat theft.. insurance and residual value effects

MadJam250

With so many of these occurring now are owners considering changing their cars due to such risk and the consequential hike of insurance premiums (and, potentially, a lower demand in older hybrids and therefore a knock-on effect with regards to values dropping)?  Or is the latter not perceived as an issue? 

Personally, I would eat the cost of having a straight pipe put on and take my chance that it would pass an MOT. We know that hybrids aren't tested on emissions so it would be up to the individual tester if they noticed/ignored that a cat is missing.

Once a straight pipe is installed, that would stymie any future attempts to rob the cat so there's just the one initial cost of having the straight pipe installed and I wouldn't notify the insurance or get them involved at all.

Hi Everyone

Having been an RX owner, and currently a CT and NX owner, I have seen countless pages and articles regarding cat theft on these wonderful and informative forums.

Touch wood and whistle, I haven't had any problems, but do understand and sympathise with Lexus owners who are vulnerable to this problem because of their geographical location to scroats!!!!!

I appreciate everyone seems to be looking at prevention of theft on current vehicles, but is it worth looking to the future, also, and perhaps petitioning Toyota / Lexus - and indeed most other motor manufacturers - to ensure they DESIGN out the problem by physically locating the Cat(s) closer to the manifold, for instance. 

I know this wont help current vehicles and also appreciate that all electric is the way to go, but that will be along time coming.

So for the time being...........................????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

Although that would invalidate your insurance as it's mandatory to have a cat. 

It would still have a cat because the primary cat by the manifold is still there.

But altering a vehicle's emissions could be breaking the law and you from an insurance point of view it should be declared as a modification.

Hi, Guys and Gals, I think this subject is being slightly taken out of context. Yes we are having Cats stolen off Lexus, but any modern Petrol Car is vulnerable, BMW, Merc. Range Rovers, Fords etc. are all loosing them. so changing Marques is not really going to help. Hybrids were targetted first because the Scrotes were originally of the opinion Hybrid Cats would be worth more. Great shame but we can only be vigilent and fit Anti-Theft devices.

Enjoy your Lexus!