Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2021/2022 NX spy shots

I suspect we'll end up with something that strongly resembles the recently released Japan market Harrier (4th Gen), North America Toyota Venza, which is also based off the current generation RAV4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Harrier#XU80

Bonnet creases roughly in the same areas, full width rear tail light strip (like the UX).

2 hours ago, subria88 said:

I suspect we'll end up with something that strongly resembles the recently released Japan market Harrier (4th Gen), North America Toyota Venza, which is also based off the current generation RAV4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Harrier#XU80

Bonnet creases roughly in the same areas, full width rear tail light strip (like the UX).

I thought Harrier = RX, not RAV4/NX. But in either case they all seems to share same platform now.

• Like 1

Harrier was the same as the RX for the first two generations until Lexus arrived in Japan around 2005 and the Toyota Harrier was discontinued in that model form. From the 3rd generation on, the Harrier has been separate from the RX

19 hours ago, Martin J said:

..this from Car and Driver has the same shots, plus rude remarks about the current NX interior which I think is still one of the best cabins available.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35194149/2022-lexus-nx-spied/

^^ Agree about the interior, it’s superb! I think they were - as usual for the motoring press - making their point about the infotainment but conflating that with the interior in general. Journalistic standards these days aren’t what they were!

• Like 3

The harrier is too big - its more RX size

The new NX is heavily based on the RAV4 for sure but it won't look anything like it. This new NX is likely to come with the plug in hybrid option - the 302hp version from the RAV4 too. Looks like its slightly bigger than the outgoing model but wont be too far off the current NX size.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, rayaans said:

The new NX is heavily based on the RAV4 for sure but it won't look anything like it. This new NX is likely to come with the plug in hybrid option - the 302hp version from the RAV4 too. Looks like its slightly bigger than the outgoing model but wont be too far off the current NX size.

I wonder how Lexus marketing will square that when they've been selling the idea that self-charging is superior to the better options of plug-in hybrid or full electric. 🤔

On 1/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, javadude said:

I wonder how Lexus marketing will square that when they've been selling the idea that self-charging is superior to the better options of plug-in hybrid or full electric. 🤔

To be honest, Toyota did the same and have just launched the RAV4 PHEV and no-one’s batted and eyelid. It’s a natural progression. 

5 minutes ago, Grumps said:

The Rav4 plug in hybrid starts from 47k. Serious money!

😮You could buy a lots of different full EVs for similar or less and do 200-300 miles on electric and pay 1/10th the price of petrol.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, rayaans said:

The harrier is too big - its more RX size

I hope it's not that much bigger than the current NX. If it won't fit in my garage then I'm going to have to think again with regards to my next car.

5 hours ago, Grumps said:

The Rav4 plug in hybrid starts from 47k. Serious money!

Yes, I was surprised at the list price - a £10-12K premium over the standard hybrid.  This suggests a plug-in NX would cost £50K to £55K.  Low BIK rates may make the plug-in work for company car drivers, but these prices are eye-wateringly high for private buyers. A Polestar 2 starts to seem like good value!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Martin J said:

Yes, I was surprised at the list price - a £10-12K premium over the standard hybrid.  This suggests a plug-in NX would cost £50K to £55K.  Low BIK rates may make the plug-in work for company car drivers, but these prices are eye-wateringly high for private buyers. A Polestar 2 starts to seem like good value!

I suspect it literally is just to feed the company car drivers

The majority of private buyers will still opt for the 300h. 

• Like 1

Yes, I too was surprised by the list price of the RAV4 and agree that the NX PHEV is likely to be £50k plus which is disappointing. I will probably hold off changing my NX until further details are made available but as others have already said there are a growing number of quality EV's which can be bought for less. Lexus need to bear this in mind. 

On 1/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Who would have thought dazzle camouflage from WW1 would come back?

It does make it difficult to fully see the lines of the car.

An interesting video below where a guy in the US tries to discern what's under all that camouflage:-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andy B said:

An interesting video below where a guy in the US tries to discern what's under all that camouflage:-

Yes, seems to confirm that nothing radical lurks under the camo. Personally would have liked to see the next gen recapture the edginess of the LF-NX concept.  And an NX500e does sound too good to be true!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

See https://www.motor1.com/news/487217/next-gen-lexus-nx-rendering/

To me, this isn't sufficiently different to the current model to be a new "generation"...

That rendering is rubbish though

It's essentially different Lexus models mish-mashed together 

Oh btw it doesn't look like that I've seen the official photos 😉

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

Official photos? OFFICIAL PHOTOS?! 😆 where where where?! 🤣

I have a friend in the US who works heavily for Lexus. A lot of my information comes from him. Ive seen the photos for the new NX and it does look quite nice in my opinion. Yes, nothing hugely radical but an evolution of the current design. The interior though...... 😍

• Like 2

I still remember when the 2nd gen LS400 came out and it pretty much looked the same as the 1st gen. Despite everything being brand new. I think they had acknowledged they had got it wrong in that case, familiar but different at the same time is hard to achieve.

• Like 1

I hope they bring more engine options other than a hybrid, would also be nice if they gave the 300h powertrain a refresh too! I guess it will still be a CVT regardless.  I wonder if they will continue to have the wee mirror in the centre console in the mk2 NX?

I reckon it’ll have the updated and slightly more powerful hybrid power train from the RAV4 which the journos seem to rate more than the old one (which was the NX has to this day) as well as the PHEV option which also seems to be a very well regarded newcomer. The latter has a total output of 302bhp but some very heavy batteries to drag up the motorway when the electrons have been used up. 

• Like 1