Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spark plugs

I had a problem a couple of weeks ago. First of all the car needed jump starting (again) luckily I keep a charged up Battery in the garage.

So I said to my wife lets go for a ride to get the Battery charged up.  We got a couple of miles down the road and it was really running rough,

so much so that I stopped in a layby and called the AA. Eventually a chap who does Green Flag breakdowns turned up and diagnosed it as

a misfire on No.3  Cylinder.  I limped home with him following me.  I took it over to the dealer and they said it was a spark plug. They changed

all 4 at a cost of £208. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but cheaper than changing the coils.  Not that straight forward a job, but having seen a video

on You Tube, I would probably do it myself if it happened again.. What really annoyed me was the fact that if it had been an actual AA patrol

vehicle which had come out, he probably would have changed the plug there and then.   We live and learn  !!

I remember buying 8 genuine Lexus ones on eBay (Denso), sold by a Lexus dealership for a £1 each delivered. Bargain! No idea why they sold them that cheap.

It pains me to see such a hefty tag for your 4.

How much of that bill was labour?

All fine since? Let's hope it stays that way and isn't something else.

2 hours ago, Hadrian said:

I stopped in a layby and called the AA. Eventually a chap who does Green Flag breakdowns turned up

Why did GF turn up if you called the AA?

12 hours ago, matt8 said:

I remember buying 8 genuine Lexus ones on eBay (Denso), sold by a Lexus dealership for a £1 each delivered. Bargain! No idea why they sold them that cheap.

It pains me to see such a hefty tag for your 4.

How much of that bill was labour?

All fine since? Let's hope it stays that way and isn't something else.

£125 Labour. I hope it's fine now too.

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

Why did GF turn up if you called the AA?

I don't think he was Actually Green Flag, but he thought that's who I belonged to, as that's where the majority of

his work comes from

I can only assume that if the AA are overloaded with work, they pass the job down the line.

Even this chap covered a huge area in his breakdown truck. Anywhere in Essex, and up as far as Bury St Edmunds.

I am close to Lexus Southend at Rayleigh Weir.

It wasn't until after I called the AA, that I remembered that Lexus Breakdown  is included with my Service contract.

Although being a Saturday there's every chance the job would be subbed out to a local garage.

2 hours ago, Hadrian said:

It wasn't until after I called the AA, that I remembered that Lexus Breakdown  is included with my Service contract.

And ironically, Lexus Breakdown is provided by the AA.

It also means that you must be paying for two lots of cover. I know it's "included" but it's not free, the price will be baked into the service contract.

Anyway, glad it's sorted now.

£208!!! wow.

I did a how to on changing the plugs a while back, its not difficult and takes about 30 mins.

Lexus charge a small fortune for the plugs, I believe they're about £35 per plug incl vat, if you can find a denso dealer they can supply you with the same plug that's not Lexus branded for a fraction of the cost, IIRC a set of 4 denso plugs are about £60

The plugs should last 60,000 miles, what mileage has yours got on it?

3 hours ago, Hadrian said:

I don't think he was Actually Green Flag, but he thought that's who I belonged to, as that's where the majority of

his work comes from

I can only assume that if the AA are overloaded with work, they pass the job down the line.

Even this chap covered a huge area in his breakdown truck. Anywhere in Essex, and up as far as Bury St Edmunds.

I am close to Lexus Southend at Rayleigh Weir.

Although being a Saturday there's every chance the job would be subbed out to a local garage.

After the first three years the Lexus breakdown expires and then is either renewed as a standalone or is part of the Extended Warranty (which makes the Extended Warranty better value as its full AA Euro cover and includes the addition of a partner too for any car either person is driving). I wasn't aware it could be included in a service plan though 

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

After the first three years the Lexus breakdown expires and then is either renewed as a standalone or is part of the Extended Warranty (which makes the Extended Warranty better value as its full AA Euro cover and includes the addition of a partner too for any car either person is driving). I wasn't aware it could be included in a service plan though 

I'm pretty sure it is, but I stand to be corrected.

12 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

I'm pretty sure it is, but I stand to be corrected.

I wonder if it's a dealer specific thing - just looked at Inchcape - Lexus Service Plans | Lexus Servicing | Inchcape - and  Breakdown Cover is included with a service plan there at a small extra cost - I have my servicing with Jemca and breakdown cover has never been included in my Service Plan, but I have it as part of the Extended Warranty... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

£208!!! wow.

I did a how to on changing the plugs a while back, its not difficult and takes about 30 mins.

Lexus charge a small fortune for the plugs, I believe they're about £35 per plug incl vat, if you can find a denso dealer they can supply you with the same plug that's not Lexus branded for a fraction of the cost, IIRC a set of 4 denso plugs are about £60

The plugs should last 60,000 miles, what mileage has yours got on it?

Yes having seen a video, I can see that it's not a difficult job. Although at the time I didn't know if it was a plug or coil

causing the misfire. The car has only done about 28,800 miles, but I wonder if recent lack of use might be a

contributing factor ?  I was charged £49.07 + vat for the four plugs.  Don't Toyota own 25% of Denso ?

I thought plugs were changed at 60,000 miles which is what the next service will be.  If they are going to change them I shall

ask for the old ones back.  😄

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

Yes having seen a video, I can see that it's not a difficult job. Although at the time I didn't know if it was a plug or coil

causing the misfire. The car has only done about 28,800 miles, but I wonder if recent lack of use might be a

contributing factor ?  I was charged £49.07 + vat for the four plugs.  Don't Toyota own 25% of Denso ?

I thought plugs were changed at 60,000 miles which is what the next service will be.  If they are going to change them I shall

ask for the old ones back.  😄

that's a good price for the 4 plugs, last time I enquired about them in the parts dept I needed smelling salts!!

1 hour ago, Malc said:

aren't modern plugs a change at 100k miles ?

60k on all current models I believe. It is only based on mileage though, not 60k/6 years (whichever occurs first) so if you don't do 10k miles a year they don't need to be changed on the 6th service.

Had my last service done at the local Indy - he rang me up and asked if I knew when the plugs were last done as he couldn't believe how expensive they were and wanted to check if they really needed doing - IIRC he said they were £120