Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crashed my lovely new IS250, potential write off

Hi folks, despite COVID and lockdown affecting everyone in 2020 my year went rather well and I ended it off nicely with the purchase of an IS250 F Sport. Unfortunately after a sat nav mishap and coming to an awkward junction I did have an accident a few days ago in which the bumper and driver side got taken out. The other person I don't believe was at fault an independent party cause an obstruction in the road so that blocked my vision and I didn't have enough time to react sadly. 

As annoying as it is, thankfully me and my partner left without any injury and am currently awaiting for my insurance provider to go over their "engineers report" to decide if the car is a write off. From the way they have been behaving with me it does look like it may be and I wanted to get opinions from fellow forum members. 

IMG_1243D.thumb.JPG.92cf6ddebca16be52e15046dc775c9bb.JPGIMG_1242D.thumb.JPG.64c7bff60db35862a24febbd0622c27d.JPG

From what I could tell, the car still drives fine, only the AFS disabled light goes off in the dash. The driver side headlight was cracked so doesnt function, the driver side of the bumper was dragged off and the fog light is still functional. It does look like the crash bar has taken damage but no air bags went off, would you guys say the car be worth buying back and replacing the damaged parts? I was after this car for weeks and weeks so its a shame to have it gone after only 2 weeks of ownership!I am with Hastings and from what I've seen they don't tend to let you buy back your vehicle unless you really reiterate is so any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

All the best

Bill

23 minutes ago, markeyszoo said:

Sad news but how did that not trigger an air bag?

I was only doing a few miles per hour probably no more than five, and the other guy was doing 30 and it was more of a scrape from what I can tell. Airbags were working from what I can tell! 

If you looking to keep the car I would rather negotiate with insurance and insist not to write it off. I know it is not always possible to do it, but you can argue with assessors report and even insist on using different assessor.

If they write it off, then not only it will have category attached to it forever (affecting the price etc), but as well I think it will have kind of moral value of the car depreciated for you (at least I would feel that way). My car was written-off and I just could not justify spending on it's maintenance after that e.g. thought in my case the accident was just a scratch and did not impact the car at all.

Besides you right - some companies simply won't let you keep it anyway, so when it is written off you may not have a choice.

So just going through the options again:

1. Insist on fixing it and not writing off = you will have same car fixed to reasonable standard and no material loss. Basically, if you challenge the list of fixing needed and insurance sees the benefit in it (e.g. you say that based on their quote you only consider that £1800 ow work is actually necessary and remaining £2000 is made up as it always is), then they may actually agree with you. Paying £1800 to fix the car is cheaper for them than paying say £5000 for it to be written off.
  2. If financially viable buy it back (it may be most financially feasible as well) e.g. in my case Insurance offered £3800, whereas I only valued my car at the time ~£3000 and let me buy it back for £531 and I knew the repair prices is 15 minutes and some polishing compound. And even with cat-N the car was still worth £2000. That was my case - you may be completely different depending on options, mileage and what your insurance actually offers. But bear in mind moral issues - as I said knowing it was write-off I could not put myself to spend any money on maintenance and keep-up.
  3. Take the car what they offer, but likely that is going to be below market value and you are unlikely to be able to replace the same car like for like.

Bear in mind that your insurance will go ballistic next year regardless, what options you choose here won't matter.

Generally, the worse is the condition of you car pre-accident, the better is to take the pay out and leave the car. Ideal situation newer car with lover mileage, but really poor condition - insurance will price it high where actual condition would not justify it. The worst starting position is - high mileage, older car in excellent condition (that was my case) - Insurance does not want to pay anything for it, even if car was excellent condition before crash.

As for actual repairing of the car - I can see myself completing it under £1000. Bumper is £160, used headlight £150, decent shop will take another £300-450 for painting the bumper, minor pieces and sundry parts. There may be some minor details which could not be seen, but this is clearly not a major damage.

Obviously, Insurance estimate I would expect here will be at least £3000-4000, new light alone with fitting will be £1000 on it's own. Bumper with all internal pieces and painting another £1000, probably part blend on bonnet, and side panel.. they usually add charges for inspection, storage and unknown sundries etc. And it suddenly turns into £1000's.

Here is my damage which was £3200.

image.thumb.png.9f69970a82ee9c82da2c268d307d8721.png

Yes it includes refurbishment for both front wheels and missing piece for headlight washer witch turned out to be £487 + VAT, but still... it was "just a scratch".

image.thumb.png.1cbeb6c38d792a64750e44a0368bf08c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see from your profile that you have been driving for less than 2 years and currently pay about £140 a month for your IS250 insurance, sadly after this (fault) event they ( insurance company’s) will hike your premiums sky high so trying to insure the ( now repaired) IS250 may be another factor in the decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to learn of your prang Bilal. What Linas has put may sound daunting but very well put and gives you a great insight. To repair that car with used parts would be high hundreds but thousands in new parts. If you are that way inclined as to do the repair yourself then I wonder if its possible to withdraw your car from the claim and cover the costs yourself or get some advice and quotes from any garages you know of. Keep us informed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

withdraw your car from the claim

Two options here again:

1. Withdrawing car from the case would guarantee it won't be written off. But you will get completely nothing from insurance and you will have to cover ~£1000-1500 repair bill yourself + you insurance next year will be sky-high.
  2. Actually, trying to get insurance to agree to repair your car. "Benefit" of that - you will only have pay sky-high insurance, but nothing for repairs.

Actually, I advise not to withdraw it yet, because your insurance will be sky-high anyway, it does not matter what you do now - so may as well take advantage of them repairing your car if that could be agreed. UK insurance is a fraud, it will increase when you get into accident no matter who's fault it was or whenever you make the claim or not. As you were at fault here, again it won't make any difference whenever you get your car repaired on insurance money, scrap it and take cash or windrow it and repair yourself.

I think if all fails and you could not agree with insurance to repair it, and they insist on writing it off... I think (but I cannot guarantee) you can withdraw your car from the claim at any point.

It is just sad that in our country after paying thousands for insurance every year you are still better of to agree with third party yourself and pay it out of your pocket without declaring it to insurance at all.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Two options here again:

1. Withdrawing car from the case would guarantee it won't be written off. But you will get completely nothing from insurance and you will have to cover ~£1000-1500 repair bill yourself + you insurance next year will be sky-high.
  2. Actually, trying to get insurance to agree to repair your car. "Benefit" of that - you will only have pay sky-high insurance, but nothing for repairs.

Actually, I advise not to withdraw it yet, because your insurance will be sky-high anyway, it does not matter what you do now - so may as well take advantage of them repairing your car if that could be agreed. UK insurance is a fraud, it will increase when you get into accident no matter who's fault it was or whenever you make the claim or not. As you were at fault here, again it won't make any difference whenever you get your car repaired on insurance money, scrap it and take cash or windrow it and repair yourself.

I think if all fails and you could not agree with insurance to repair it, and they insist on writing it off... I think (but I cannot guarantee) you can withdraw your car from the claim at any point.

It is just sad that in our country after paying thousands for insurance every year you are still better of to agree with third party yourself and pay it out of your pocket without declaring it to insurance at all.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and very handy advice! Sadly you are right, even for various of my family members Insurance they would have been much better off dealing with the third party directly. I did manage to speak to the insurance company and they chased it up with the engineer who was assessing the damage, thankfully they have actually authorised the repair and that will be going ahead now! At least thats not an expense I need to worry about for the moment, my excess is only £95 which isnt too bad! 

7 hours ago, Texas said:

I see from your profile that you have been driving for less than 2 years and currently pay about £140 a month for your IS250 insurance, sadly after this (fault) event they ( insurance company’s) will hike your premiums sky high so trying to insure the ( now repaired) IS250 may be another factor in the decision.

Sadly you are right,  my premiums will take a big hit unfortunately.  I had a bit of a fiasco where with my first car (A corsa) I moved from NG2 in Nottingham to NG8 when I bought my house and they doubled my insurance from £90 to £180! With any luck I can keep the premiums to less than £200 I will be happy as that was what I used to pay so I can certainly budget for it, 

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah... £95 is amazing. Mine is now lower ... £750, but it used to be £3000 for a while.

Wow that is certainly alot! The only reason mine is £95 as I changed vehicles mid policy so that doesnt hinder me too much financially, thanks again for the advice Linas its very much appreciated. 

• Like 1

When I moved to Romford my Insurance dropped by 30%... Imagine what was the rating in the area i lived before 😁

RM Romford

1, 6, 9-10, 12 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F *

2-5, 11, 17-18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . E *

7-8, 13-16, 19-20 . . . . . . . . . . . . D *

35 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.uk/car-insurance-post-code-ratings.html

This may be of interest to a good number of folk on here.

Really useful Vlad, thank you 🤝 - mine is F* - I can see why my insurance is the level it is now 😐

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

Any new developements?

Did you get her repaired?

I actually got her back the day before Yesterday! Have been busy trying to get the GROM VLINE2 unit to work in the car, no such luck yet but the garage did a wonderful job and a nice polish and she's looking the best she ever has! 

IMG_1621D.JPG

IMG_1622D.JPG

• Like 5

On 1/13/2021 at 12:46 AM, McShmoopy said:

I was only doing a few miles per hour probably no more than five, and the other guy was doing 30 and it was more of a scrape from what I can tell. Airbags were working from what I can tell! 

I was interested to read this as I acquired my Lexus because an Iveco truck had written off my Honda Accord on the M5.  It changed lanes and hit my near side rear wheel arch in doing so, spinning the Honda in front of the cab and pushing us along the M5 for about seven seconds.  The HGV was doing about 50mph.

Every nearside body panel was damaged, internal damage to suspension and Battery compartment, and bonnet and boot lids also apparently had to be replaced.

And yet, none of the air bags deployed!  I can only presume it was because this was a spinning force rather than more of a fore and aft impact.  Or maybe there’s another reason!

1 hour ago, LenT said:

I was interested to read this as I acquired my Lexus because an Iveco truck had written off my Honda Accord on the M5.  It changed lanes and hit my near side rear wheel arch in doing so, spinning the Honda in front of the cab and pushing us along the M5 for about seven seconds.  The HGV was doing about 50mph.

Every nearside body panel was damaged, internal damage to suspension and battery compartment, and bonnet and boot lids also apparently had to be replaced.

And yet, none of the air bags deployed!  I can only presume it was because this was a spinning force rather than more of a fore and aft impact.  Or maybe there’s another reason!

Sorry to read that Len, thanks for sharing.

Perhaps you should ask the airbag question of Honda.co.uk ?

Airbags have very specific conditions under which they deploy... sadly in reality those conditions are not 100% correct. They will work most of the time in frontal collisions and straight forward side collisions, but anything more complex like overturning or spinning car are likely to result in fairly unpredictable deployment. In rear end collision they should not deploy, as well if car is upside-down and many other situations.

• Like 1