Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crashed my lovely new IS250, potential write off

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Sorry to read that Len, thanks for sharing.

Perhaps you should ask the airbag question of Honda.co.uk ?

On the positive side, John, wife and I both walked away.  Honda had discontinued the Accord so I popped in to Lexus and saw the IS250.  The other driver’s Insurers paid out full market value, so I bought the Lexus.

All in all - a result!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Airbags have very specific conditions under which they deploy... sadly in reality those conditions are not 100% correct. They will work most of the time in frontal collisions and straight forward side collisions, but anything more complex like overturning or spinning car are likely to result in fairly unpredictable deployment. In rear end collision they should not deploy, as well if car is upside-down and many other situations.

Yes, I think you’ve nailed it there Linas. At least we didn’t test them by ending upside down!

18 hours ago, scudney said:

Nice to see you have got it back and you are on the road again Bilal 👍 

Cheers for that mate

17 hours ago, Linas.P said:

great outcome in the end!

Thanks Linas, insurance havent contacted me at all after I gave them the dash cam footage so not sure where I stand with them in terms of liability and my premiums. As far as the car is concerned I couldn't be happier! 

4 hours ago, LenT said:

I was interested to read this as I acquired my Lexus because an Iveco truck had written off my Honda Accord on the M5.  It changed lanes and hit my near side rear wheel arch in doing so, spinning the Honda in front of the cab and pushing us along the M5 for about seven seconds.  The HGV was doing about 50mph.

Every nearside body panel was damaged, internal damage to suspension and battery compartment, and bonnet and boot lids also apparently had to be replaced.

And yet, none of the air bags deployed!  I can only presume it was because this was a spinning force rather than more of a fore and aft impact.  Or maybe there’s another reason!

Ah sorry to hear that Len! I think as Linas mentioned there are certain conditions for the airbags to trigger, I believe a youtube channel host (Car Throttle) had a very similar incident where he was caused him to spin in front of the cab and drag him along and I believe his air bag didnt trigger from the footage. I've linked the clip for you just below 🙂

1 hour ago, McShmoopy said:

Ah sorry to hear that Len! I think as Linas mentioned there are certain conditions for the airbags to trigger, I believe a youtube channel host (Car Throttle) had a very similar incident where he was caused him to spin in front of the cab and drag him along and I believe his air bag didnt trigger from the footage. 

As you say, Bilal, very similar, right down to the undeploying air bags.  Mind you, a more frightening experience than ours.  At least our lad knew what he’d done.  He saw the Honda and stopped.  The saloon driver must have wondered what else he could do to attract the other driver’s attention.

I wonder if he sounded the horn?

2 hours ago, LenT said:

As you say, Bilal, very similar, right down to the undeploying air bags.  Mind you, a more frightening experience than ours.  At least our lad knew what he’d done.  He saw the Honda and stopped.  The saloon driver must have wondered what else he could do to attract the other driver’s attention.

I wonder if he sounded the horn?

I should have hoped so but I put that down to the truck driver not paying that much attention, I believe he was alright and the car naturally a write off. Hope you and your partner aren't too shaken up with your incident! 

7 hours ago, McShmoopy said:

Hope you and your partner aren't too shaken up with your incident! 

Thank you Bilal.  My wife did decide that we weren’t going to use Motorways again, but she eventually got over that.  But she probably had the worst of it as her window smashed and she had a close-up view of an Iveco cab trying to get inside the car!

But an interesting similarity with your own incident is that in both cases our dashcam footage proved very useful.  Since then I’ve taken every opportunity to urge other drivers to invest in one.  Or even two.

I’m sure that eventually all car makers will fit them as standard.

Yes I think with the cost of simple technology being cheap now it should be made mandatory that All new cars be fitted with dash cams and also that all used cars have then fitted too, maybe a pre requisite of insurance. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LenT said:

Thank you Bilal.  My wife did decide that we weren’t going to use Motorways again, but she eventually got over that.  But she probably had the worst of it as her window smashed and she had a close-up view of an Iveco cab trying to get inside the car!

But an interesting similarity with your own incident is that in both cases our dashcam footage proved very useful.  Since then I’ve taken every opportunity to urge other drivers to invest in one.  Or even two.

I’m sure that eventually all car makers will fit them as standard.

Ah bless her, I’ve always been a little uneasy driving near trucks but something like that would definitely put me off! Couldn’t agree more about the dash cam, as soon as I got the car back I was straight onto Amazon to buy a dash cam. I’m currently just deciding how I’m going to wire it up either permanently or via the cigarette lighter. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes I think with the cost of simple technology being cheap now it should be made mandatory that All new cars be fitted with dash cams and also that all used cars have then fitted too, maybe a pre requisite of insurance. 

If nothing else I reckon a reduction of your insurance premium would be a good incentive for all drivers to have one!!

47 minutes ago, McShmoopy said:

I’m currently just deciding how I’m going to wire it up either permanently or via the cigarette lighter. 

I would recommend a permanent connection.  Apart from avoiding the possibility of losing camera power in some incident, it also keeps the camera powered up when the ignition is off and you’re  parked up having a relaxing lunch and some idiot backs into your car in the underground car park.  Or similar!

My camera is a BlackVue and they supply an accessory that connects to a live feed with the ignition off.  You can set the Battery voltage so that it won’t drain the Battery.

I expect other systems are available.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, LenT said:

I would recommend a permanent connection.  Apart from avoiding the possibility of losing camera power in some incident, it also keeps the camera powered up when the ignition is off and you’re  parked up having a relaxing lunch and some idiot backs into your car in the underground car park.  Or similar!

My camera is a BlackVue and they supply an accessory that connects to a live feed with the ignition off.  You can set the battery voltage so that it won’t drain the battery.

I expect other systems are available.

Thats a good shout Len, should I be at all concerned for power draw from the camera at all? 

Before one looks to have a dash cam permanently wired you have to check with the manufacturer to make sure the dash cam can be permanently powered. 

Nextbase do Not recommend this. So be very wary.

1 hour ago, McShmoopy said:

Thats a good shout Len, should I be at all concerned for power draw from the camera at all? 

https://blackvue.com/product/blackvue-power-magic-pro-vehicle-battery-discharge-prevention-for-parking-mode/

If it’s permitted on this site, this link should take you to the BlackVue Power Magic page which will give you the technical details.  I see Vladimir’s note about Nextbase, but I can only speak for BlackVue cameras. I’ve had them for over ten years, with the same fitted Power Kit, and never had a problem.

Basically it’s connected to a terminal in the fuse box that’s live when the ignition is off.  It provides enough power to the camera to keep the sensors active.  If the camera detects movement in front of it, or impact, the recording mode is activated.

The camera will return to standby mode once the sensors are no longer activated, or the set recording  time ends.  Should the Power Magic detect that the car Battery has reached the minimum  preset voltage level, it switches off the camera to stop any further drain.

How long that might take, the tech details might give you that information. But I’ve left the camera switched on when parked overnight and never had a problem.

I should add that you can switch the Power Magic completely off if you choose so that the camera is not even in standby mode.

Whether it would work with other cameras I don’t know.  Possibly a BlackVue dealer could advise. 

If Nextbase cameras are unpowered when the ignition is off, then I presume they can’t record parking incidents, unless they have a Battery backup.  Incidentally BlackVue also do a Battery power pack as an alternative to the car Battery system.

BTW: My apologies if the typography looks a bit naff!

• Like 1

Excellent post Len. Nextbase do indeed have an internal Battery, well mine does anyway. Mine is the 322GW with the attached rear view camera which by the way for its position which is next to the rear view mirror is outstanding. 

22 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Nextbase do indeed have an internal battery, well mine does anyway. Mine is the 322GW with the attached rear view camera which by the way for its position which is next to the rear view mirror is outstanding. 

Another fine make.  Being an old’un myself, the technology built in to these systems amazes me.  I take it that you’ve chosen to locate the rear camera on the front screen facing inwards.  It certainly simplifies the wiring and I presume also gives you a recording of what your passengers are getting up to - which must improve their behaviour!

My rear camera is located on the rear window, which sometimes produces an interesting reaction.  I’ve watched cars committing risky overtakes in order to race up to my rear bumper.  But instead of racing past, they then drop back rather quickly!  My guess is they’ve got close enough to spot the camera - but by then it’s too late!

Incidentally I think having a camera has improved my driving too.  I’m very aware that my actions are also being recorded

Len. The 322GW and others in the range of which mine is at the bottom lol has a socket on its side where a rear facing camera plugs into. Great idea and yes saves ooodles of time wiring.

Oh yes I've seen for myself idiots racing towards a car with a camera in the rear screen then suddenly slow right down. Oh how it makes me laugh. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links