Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, I am about to buy a RX450 2019 with a genuine tow bar, can anyone kindly share information on how the vehicle tows.

I plan to tow a 1900kgs caravan.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

steve

Hi Steve

I tow 1650kgs with Gen3 (2013) RX450h Premier and it is a brilliant tow car, ample power, stable and of course sheer luxury. Fuel low twenties per gallon. Good job your potential RX already has a towbar - saves you around £1200 after market fit on a Gen4. I use cruise control as often as possible because it can be easy to exceed limits without noticing but probably not so much with another 250kgs behind. I assume you will be towing a twin axle caravan and at 1900kgs fuel consumption will probably drop to high teens.

Over the last 15 years or so, I have towed our various caravans all over the UK and Europe with a Lexus RX400 and now RX450 totalling around 50,000 miles with caravan in tow. My RX400 was one of the first batch of retail RX Hybrids imported into the UK in June 2005 and I had done 186,000 miles when I sold it still going strong last year.

Any specific question let me know - I wouldn't tow with anything else but I am biased.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ken Crawley said:

Did I just notice you are looking at RX450L? A far as I am aware, a towbar cannot be fitted to the L version.

You need to check before commiting to buy !!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this is just the 2020 onwards but I spotted this a few days ago to answer someone asking about towing with an ES

Towing capabilities of new Lexus range

• Like 1

I've towed a 1650kg caravan with the a 2019 RX450h. It's a good stable, comfortable tow car. Don't expect great fuel economy, and while capable, I missed the torque of a diesel turbo for towing particularly on climbs.

Hi Stephen, I tow a 1750kg van with my 2016 RX450h. I have had no problems at all. MPG wise its a bit more thirsty than the ML350 that I have had previously but there is only 2 or 3 MPG in it. The Lexus is a lot more comfortable and reliable!  Off the mark it may seem a little more sluggish but with a 1.75 ton caravan behind you you do not want to be going anywhere fast anyway. Load wise with one rearseat down ( the other one is occupied by the dog! ) there is enough room to get awning, groundsheet, gas BBQ, crate of food, TV, bottles of water ,wine etc various other bits and still be able to see out of the rear window (not that you can see much just the front of the van😉 ). I have tried sport mode but found it made very little difference towing it just made the engine work harder so I don't bother. The only downside is that it does wear the front tyres faster so I don't bother putting premium boots on it just expect to replace them more frequently.

Bri

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, Ken Crawley said:

Hi Steve

I tow 1650kgs with Gen3 (2013) RX450h Premier and it is a brilliant tow car, ample power, stable and of course sheer luxury. Fuel low twenties per gallon. Good job your potential RX already has a towbar - saves you around £1200 after market fit on a Gen4. I use cruise control as often as possible because it can be easy to exceed limits without noticing but probably not so much with another 250kgs behind. I assume you will be towing a twin axle caravan and at 1900kgs fuel consumption will probably drop to high teens.

Over the last 15 years or so, I have towed our various caravans all over the UK and Europe with a Lexus RX400 and now RX450 totalling around 50,000 miles with caravan in tow. My RX400 was one of the first batch of retail RX Hybrids imported into the UK in June 2005 and I had done 186,000 miles when I sold it still going strong last year.

Any specific question let me know - I wouldn't tow with anything else but I am biased.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, Ken Crawley said:

Hi Steve

On 7/27/2022 at 7:39 PM, Joffee said:

Do uk spec cars come with the towing pack, I'm particularly interested in a 2010 rx450h 

Only if ordered by the original buyer, PF Jones do a Wesfalia bar and dedicated electrical kit ( what Lexus fit for a premium) and will fit on your drive if needed. That's who did my towbar.

• Like 1