Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I realise this subject has probably been done to death.. but I'm going to replace the radiator myself on my LS430 as a preventative measure, and I had a few questions. Firstly I'm thinking of buying a Nissens rad from CP4L for £100.. In my experience Nissens make very good OE plus rads .. has anyone had experience on whether they're a good fit? No open ports that shouldn't be there?

Secondly I'm doing the coolant hoses and oil cooler hoses whilst I'm at it, which I'm getting genuine parts from Lexus parts direct for pretty cheap.. however you can't get the hose clamps from them.. and Lexus themselves told me they're not in the country and need shipping in. Reluctant to use universal hose clamps as it'll be pretty catastrophic if they came lose. 

What have you guys used?

32 minutes ago, Micholas said:

I realise this subject has probably been done to death.. but I'm going to replace the radiator myself on my LS430 as a preventative measure, and I had a few questions. Firstly I'm thinking of buying a Nissens rad from CP4L for £100.. In my experience Nissens make very good OE plus rads .. has anyone had experience on whether they're a good fit? No open ports that shouldn't be there?

Secondly I'm doing the coolant hoses and oil cooler hoses whilst I'm at it, which I'm getting genuine parts from Lexus parts direct for pretty cheap.. however you can't get the hose clamps from them.. and Lexus themselves told me they're not in the country and need shipping in. Reluctant to use universal hose clamps as it'll be pretty catastrophic if they came lose. 

What have you guys used?

I've replaced two LS430 rads using Koyo which seem fine, although Nissens are good. The all important point is to be sure you get one with the nozzle at the end which connects the small hose to the expansion tank, the ones without are for the US/Japanese market like mine.  As far as the oil cooler hoses go, I replaced mine and I used jubilee clips but really good quality stainless steel ones, the cheaper ones I wouldn't trust.  I also bought 5 litres of Toyota ready mixed red coolant.  Changing the radiator is a piece of cake, especially if you're fitting new cooler hoses, that means you can do it all from above.  The foam between the rad and AC condenser will disintegrate but I would just discard it.  The whole job can be done in about an hour.

Thanks for this! Surely if I'm replacing the oil cooler hoses I need to do this from the bottom when I'm connecting it to the oil cooler lines. FYI I've not had a real dig around in the engine bay yet, but from what I remember connection at the gearbox end is not reachable from above?

This is the radiator I fitted to my LS430 two years ago, and it has been fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIT-FOR-LEXUS-LS430-AUTOMATIC-MANUAL-RADIATOR-2000-2006-2-YEAR-WARRANTY/152429318586?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Picked it as it was one of the few offering a 2 year guarantee.

I used ordinary 316 stainless steel Jubilee Clips for all the hoses, these are better than the original spring clips which are designed to be fast to fit on the production line. Being adjustable you can release them or tighten them up to cure any slight leaks.

Although the transmission cooling hoses were twenty years old they looked in perfect condition, so I just reconnected them. Use a couple of brake hose clamps when you disconnect them to avoid loosing transmission fluid. It's an easy job and I've had no problems.

When you come to refill the radiator and header tank with antifreeze it will take you a few attempts to get the air out of the heater system. The first time you fill the system take the car for a short run with the heating turned up full and get the engine up to its' normal temprature. Then when you leave it to go cold you will find the system needs topping up again, top it up and repeat the process. It may need topping up a couple of more times, but when you no longer need to top it up all the air will be out of the heater system.

Good luck.

John N

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John N said:

Although the transmission cooling hoses were twenty years old they looked in perfect condition,

and mine still are at 25 years and 232k miles old :thumbsup:

Malc

On 1/13/2021 at 11:14 PM, Micholas said:

Thanks for this! Surely if I'm replacing the oil cooler hoses I need to do this from the bottom when I'm connecting it to the oil cooler lines. FYI I've not had a real dig around in the engine bay yet, but from what I remember connection at the gearbox end is not reachable from above?

You can connect the new cooler hoses to the radiator before you install it and connection to transmission pipes is easy enough to do from on top.  As I say, both times I did it all without going underneath.  I would estimate trans fluid loss to be about an eggcup full at most, that's without plugging the hoses at all.  If you've got a pre facelift you're lucky enough to have a dipstick so if you do need to top the fluid up it's easy, just remember to use Toyota Type 1V.