Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Radiator Replacement LS430

I bought 10mm hose on fleabay to replace the gearbox cooler hoses, mine on a 2004 were ok but spongy.

Paul Frost has an external cooler kit For about £100 ,you would be mad not to install one if you have the skills.

1 hour ago, LexusRbest said:

I bought 10mm hose on fleabay to replace the gearbox cooler hoses, mine on a 2004 were ok but spongy.

Paul Frost has an external cooler kit For about £100 ,you would be mad not to install one if you have the skills.

A cooler is actually a really simple thing to install with loads of space for one, I did one some years ago, although I would prefer the original setup. Saying that, if I intended to keep the car for many years I might consider it.

I am no expert on ATF oil coolers but if I added one It must be one with a thermostat valve only sending oil thorugh cooler if oil is warm . 85 C at least. .
Here In Sweden getting engine and oils varm fast is important. Overheating is not a common issue.   

3 hours ago, Mikaelse said:

I am no expert on ATF oil coolers but if I added one It must be one with a thermostat valve only sending oil thorugh cooler if oil is warm . 85 C at least. .
Here In Sweden getting engine and oils varm fast is important. Overheating is not a common issue.   

That's why I say I would choose the original setup, it's what the engineers at Toyota designed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The-Acre said:

That's why I say I would choose the original setup, it's what the engineers at Toyota designed.

I can remember on my Mark 1 The kickdown would not operate until the transmission fluid was warm and at that time we had some pretty harsh winters so I had to let the engine warm up so the gears changed promptly before I set out on my journey.

• Like 2

Hi all

Seeing as I got a day off work and it’s the only dry day for the next couple of weeks, I replaced the rad today. Bit of pain of a job really, but mostly down to whoever had been in the engine bay last. Plus those ATF hoses were seized on the pipes lol. 

Anyway is there a better way to refill the coolant than the expansion tank? I’ve probably put a litre in and it’s filled the tank but the level is barely going down. It’s not filled the radiator or the hoses, I brought one of those Mickey Mouse eBay rads, so it only had a bleed screw on top rather than a fill cap. 

Cheers

Procedure that relates to the non vvt-i engine, removed the nut above the water pump at the top of the engine but the 430 engine does not have this nut.

I suspect you may have to open the drain cocks on the engine and run coolant through the system until all the air is out and the reservoir is constantly topped up until it is at its  correct level, then close the drain cocks.

This will have to be done whilst the engine is ticking over.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, John N said:

Just use the port with a plastc screw plug on top of the radiator the first time you fill the system with anti-freeze. Then fill the reservoir with anti-freeze. After that top the system up (when it's cold) using the reservoir filler cap as the air trapped in the heater bleeds out of the system over the next few days.

The plastic screw plug on top of the radiator is where you put the anti-freeze in the first time you fill the radiator. Then when the radiator is full to the top, replace the plug, and fill the reservoir bottle with anti-freeze.

Take the car for a short run, watching the temprature gauge, after it has reached normal operating temprature park the car and allow the engine to go cold. You should find the level in the reservoir bottle has gone down, as the air trapped in the heater escapes. So top it up and repeat the process until the level in the reservoir stays on the normal mark.

John N

I will let you know if I have a problem with overcooling but when there is a known catastrophic failure of these wonderful cars why would you baulk at a £100 fix by removing the cooling of transmission from the engine cooling radiator to an independent  cooler?

my car is on its second radiator  which also dumped coolant into the transmission.!!!  Twice is enough guys!

12 hours ago, ambermarine said:

I can remember on my Mark 1 The kickdown would not operate until the transmission fluid was warm and at that time we had some pretty harsh winters so I had to let the engine warm up so the gears changed promptly before I set out on my journey.

Most Toyota transmissions won't go into top gear/overdrive until it is at a certain temperature. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links