Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anthracite alloys (17")

I bought my Lexus with what appear to be 'black polished' alloys, wheels that I now believe to be referred to as 'anthracite'.  Research suggests that these are more expensive than standard 'chrome' alloys so I've upped my kerb awareness accordingly.  But are they standard Lexus issue or are they more likely to be refurbished?  Either way how can I tell?  Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Yes indeed - standard alloys for pre-facelift cars (have set of these myself). It is nice that you have them refurbished as these were notorious for bubbling-up and pealing away (issue with primer). If done properly your alloys should last you forever (or until you kerb them).

In terms of your allows - I would say they are just black, maybe they have little bit of metallic flakes in them... just cannot see in the picture. In this case they would be black metallic.

Anthracite in my books would be looking like this:

s-l1600.jpg

In terms of costs - Anthracite used to be considered "premium colour" in days when all wheels from factory been in that "car alloy silver colour". It used to cost ~£10 per wheel to have them in Anthracite over silver, but nowadays many cars have something similar from factory so many places just consider it to be one of the standard colours.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:15 PM, ahmed24 said:

spacer.png  spacer.png

These are my original wheels powder-coated in dark Anthracite. Your ones don't look like anthracite to me.

Originally they were notorious for the bubbling problem. Lexus swapped them out many times in the 3 year warranty period. Since powder coating it's been in good shape so far and much easier to clean too.

I recently had my aftermarket wheels refurbished in Anthracite and still not sure if I like them over the original mirror finished silver. Also very weary of kerbs as rash would be obvious. 

I did look at some of those rim protectors but again not sure if they would look naff, at around £40.00 a set they work out at half the cost of just one wheel repair.

853FCEFD-05E4-47FB-8A38-49D41203D244.jpeg

• Like 1

Thats a beautiful looking wheel and colour Steve. I'd love them on my car. I'm super careful now where kerbs are concerned. A few months ago I kerbed badly front kerb side. Very annoying with myself. Luckily there's a rather excellent wheel refurbishment place a 10 min walk away. 60 quid a wheel to strip/fix/powder coat. I'm sure i posted a pic or 2 back then but those rim protectors are a good idea. But I'd say of all those I've seen on cars I'd have to say only about 25% of them looked good. The rest either looked badly fitted or wrong colour or just plane cheap looking.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:22 PM, Linas.P said:

Yes indeed - standard alloys for pre-facelift cars (have set of these myself). It is nice that you have them refurbished as these were notorious for bubbling-up and pealing away (issue with primer). If done properly your alloys should last you forever (or until you kerb them).

In terms of your allows - I would say they are just black, maybe they have little bit of metallic flakes in them... just cannot see in the picture. In this case they would be black metallic.

Anthracite in my books would be looking like this:

s-l1600.jpg

In terms of costs - Anthracite used to be considered "premium colour" in days when all wheels from factory been in that "car alloy silver colour". It used to cost ~£10 per wheel to have them in Anthracite over silver, but nowadays many cars have something similar from factory so many places just consider it to be one of the standard colours.

FAW are really good. I think I'm gonna go there to look for a new set of rims. I got my spacers from them for my car. It's really good

On 1/15/2021 at 10:14 PM, Marleez said:

Are these wheels available in 18s? I would like them on my car. I have nx alloys. I dont like them

No, they were only available in 17”

14 hours ago, Marleez said:

I'm after some 18s in a similar style. Maybe I should change the colour of the ones I have to black

Yeah, but for the price of colour change, that is already half-price of new set of wheels you like, and considering your ones should be worth something when you sell them, that is price of whole new set.

Just seen another set of F-Sports on eBay, quite expensive thought - £990... but seems they require no refurbishment.

Black alloys is matter of the taste and indeed they suite some cars. I think they looks great on lighter colour cars, like whites and light silver colours. Sadly every-time I see black alloys my first though - "somebody was on the budget", because black is always the cheapest option when refurbishing.

Personally not a fan of black alloy wheels,seems to be some sort of band wagon effect going on lol 😆 seems to be a lot of cars with them both old and new with them,black wheels, black tyres where is the contrast 🤔

As I said - colour is kind of personal choice, bu I can see benefits of black wheels.

Cheap to refurbish, easy to match colour if refurbishing only one, easy to touch-up, durable finish .... so there are some specific benefits.

Just to clarify regarding price - normal wheel refurbishment process usually includes acid striping (and sometimes sandblasting as well), then wheels usually are powered coated and the powder coat is usually black. So if you just want black wheels that is where it ends - no further steps required so you can quickly save yourself £20 per wheel. Powder coat can be sanded and polished, so no need of extra finishing, clear coat etc and it is as well quite hard (harder than normal paint or even lacquer).

Glad you posted those pics of your car because of that lip below the bumper. My car is missing that I think coz I've got a number of what look like mounting lugs under the bumper. Think I'll look for that lip to put on mine. Makes the car look even better. 

Your colour wheels look a lot like mine. Looks really good. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links