Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 400 - Lexus Option Wheels in 2000...

I had an LS 400, 20 years ago. In those days, there were several Motorways and By Passes, that had some concrete sections. I regularly used to drive between Exeter and Bristol on the M5, which had two concrete sections. The LS 400 was a great car, you didn’t know if you were on the concrete, or the asphalt surface, the ride was so good…

The Sales Manager at Plymouth, where I bought the car. Talked me into changing the wheels, which made it look better...! The wheels were a Lexus Option...

The ride up and down the M5 was not the same... I shouldn't have been talked into changing the wheels, to the Lexus option wheels, that were available at the time...

I changed to another car, a few months later... and I didn’t have another Lexus until November this year. I bought an LC 500 and the ride is very good... 

Has anybody else experienced the difference in the super ride that the LS 400 has, being compromised by changing the wheels...?

16 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

I had an LS 400, 20 years ago. In those days, there were several Motorways and By Passes, that had some concrete sections. I regularly used to drive between Exeter and Bristol on the M5, which had two concrete sections. The LS 400 was a great car, you didn’t know if you were on the concrete, or the asphalt surface, the ride was so good…

The Sales Manager at Plymouth, where I bought the car. Talked me into changing the wheels, which made it look better...! The wheels were a Lexus Option...

The ride up and down the M5 was not the same... I shouldn't have been talked into changing the wheels, to the Lexus option wheels, that were available at the time...

I changed to another car, a few months later... and I didn’t have another Lexus until November this year. I bought an LC 500 and the ride is very good... 

Has anybody else experienced the difference in the super ride that the LS 400 has, being compromised by changing the wheels...?

Yes, I changed the wheels on my MK4 LS400 for something "more modern" and lower profile, after driving a short distance I quickly put the originals back on!  

• 2 weeks later...

In my youth I had a commute that took me through some great twisty roads that were virtually empty, in a mercedes convertible 560SL 

Some sections were really testing on the car at the limit.

I fitted wider tyres, wider wheels ,offset wider wheels, better quality tyres in my efforts to go faster, handle better.

All I discovered was that the manufacturer had in fact fitted the optimum tyre and rim width and offset  after their testing !!!!!

By all means change for cosmetics but beware losing the ‘cloud’ ride.

• Like 2