Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blue interior illumination issues

Hi all,

New here and new to the lexus gang. Bought an IS300h recently and its beautiful- absolutely love it. Only thing is barely any of my interior lights on the centre console work! The actual panels work i.e. air con, stereo etc but as soon as the car detects its night time and headlights switch on- the mini AC screen goes black and nothing inside lights up. When I say nothing inside I mean specifically:

1. Clock has no backlight so impossible to read at night but the clock works in telling time

2. The AC panel (with the hazard button) function fine but again, no blue illumination behind it. When the day lights are on the small climate control screen turns on but when its night, it goes black?!

3. The cd player doesnt illuminate either

The window buttons are illuminated and even the USB ports inside the elbow rest illuminate but the main centre console doesnt?! Got a mechanic to check all fuses- everything's fine. Double checked the issue by covering the Any ideas what this could be? I'd rather avoid going to lexus for the £192 fault finding cost.

TIA

10 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

If a mechanic has checked it, this may be a silly suggestion but is the panel light dimmer control turned right down?

It's not a silly suggestion at all William. Sometimes it's the simplest, most basic of things that throw us - having an interest in things sometimes makes us start off looking too deeply for explanations.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Sometimes it's the simplest, most basic of things that throw us

Yes, you've reminded me that the most frequent fault logged by the computer support team at a firm where I once worked was " N.P.I. ".

(Not Plugged In.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not silly at all mate. I checked this and it only changes the light settings on the speedometer panel behind the steering wheel (not sure the actual name)

44 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

If a mechanic has checked it, this may be a silly suggestion but is the panel light dimmer control turned right down?

image.thumb.png.f7c5950c5099987bf2c419b39aa0f4d5.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

Yes, you've reminded me that the most frequent fault logged by the computer support team at a firm where I once worked was " N.P.I. ".

(Not Plugged In.)

My favourite was telling people it was an I.D. 10 T problem.  I'd usually disappeared by the time they wrote down ID10T 🙂

• Haha 2

Now that it's getting dark I've tried the dimmer control on my car. There are two settings for the dimmer - one when it's daylight and one when it's dark and the headlights are on. The manual says there are two settings depending on whether the tail lights are on or not but I'm not sure that's correct as I can't get to the second setting until the car senses it's dark outside.

When it's dark and I turn on the lights, the instrument panel lights dim to the level that's been preset. I can control this up and down and although the lights on the aircon and the clock go quite dim they don't go out completely. I know this doesn't help solve your problem but at least this is what I imagine is supposed to happen. It'll be interesting to hear if you find out what the problem is.

19 hours ago, 200h said:

is there a feature called night mode on the IS

so when it goes dark  the un necessary lights are turn off

Never heard of this... But I tried it last night... and...nothing. Same problem. Complete darkness inside except for when I have a fan on. When a fan is on the light for it turns on but the backlight still isnt on.

20 hours ago, Thackeray said:

(Not Plugged In.)

Squirrelled for future use! 

On 1/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, syntax_brandman said:

Hi all,

New here and new to the lexus gang. Bought an IS300h recently and its beautiful- absolutely love it. Only thing is barely any of my interior lights on the centre console work! The actual panels work i.e. air con, stereo etc but as soon as the car detects its night time and headlights switch on- the mini AC screen goes black and nothing inside lights up. When I say nothing inside I mean specifically:

1. Clock has no backlight so impossible to read at night but the clock works in telling time

2. The AC panel (with the hazard button) function fine but again, no blue illumination behind it. When the day lights are on the small climate control screen turns on but when its night, it goes black?!

3. The cd player doesnt illuminate either

The window buttons are illuminated and even the USB ports inside the elbow rest illuminate but the main centre console doesnt?! Got a mechanic to check all fuses- everything's fine. Double checked the issue by covering the Any ideas what this could be? I'd rather avoid going to lexus for the £192 fault finding cost.

TIA

Can you confirm that all of the lights in the attachment are working?

Interior Lighting.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 11:24 PM, vory said:

Did you find the source of this problem as my car does the exact same thing.

Hi, have you dectected the source of the problem?