Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic Converter Theft Latest (Tameside)

Yes.  In 20K miles from date of purchase...and bought at 15K miles, I have cared for my RX almost obsessively, had it regularly serviced at Lexus and driven it regularly but not to any high mileage.  It gets between 5 and 6K miles per year.  In that time I have had the following go wrong:

.  Steering rack and motor replacement (under warranty) after a fault was spotted during a service.  It had started knocking and makind off noises for a few months previous which was reported;

.  PBD motor and ECU failure (recently);

.  2 nr control arms (suspension bushes shot);

.  rattles due to trim issue needing work on main dash facia looked at with an attempted repair (unsuccessful);

.  ECU reflashed and update to main info screen due to recurring lag issues on start up

. Axiliiary Battery replaced after one year's ownership when it failed almost overnight.  It had not been run flat...ever in my ownership until then;

For the UK's most reliable SUV, that lot added up to almost 4.5Ks worth of repairs.

My previous GS300 suffered similar electrical, suspension, exhaust and other less serious minor niggles, plus failure of several hydraulic tappets at 60K miles.

Some night just say I've been unlucky...Lexus dealership thinks so, but I have never before owned any car (I usually change them after 4 years ownership) which has given so much trouble at such low mileages other than a volvo V60 which was plagued with reliability issues (powerpacks to doors failing, throttle body failure, engine mount failures, constant blowing of light bulbs, drive shaft failures).  We are fortunate enough to own 3 cars between us.  Our Honda Civic has had zero issues in a similar ownership period and same miles.  My 16 year old Rav4 has had no serious issues in 100,000 miles of motoring and I will run that one into the ground.  It is the single most reliable car we've ever owned.  The RX not so much but it is superbly comfortable which matters to me on long runs as I have serious back injuries which mean terrible pain in most other cars if I need to drive for more than 40 minutes or so.

You can only speak as you find but cost of purchase or marque is no guarantee of reliability imho.  I appreciate many will have had very few issues and are understandably delighted with their RX's.  I am not one of those people....but I still like the car and body-work and interior wise it is one of the best quality screwed together and well thought out cars I have owned.  Electrical and the off mechanical issues have let it down.

Many thanks Paul for taking the time to detail the problems you have had.

If you have stated  that previously, I have either missed it or, forgotten it.

Certainly it is a major surprise to me to receive such a report on such a vehicle as the RX450h.

I assume it was bought from Lexus locally and serviced by them throughout. I also presume that you did not think it necessary to take out the official Lexus Extended Warranty, which for an average payment of £40 odd per month would have covered most if not all of the difficulties you had.

For Lexus to state that you were unlucky relative to the RX generally, suggests to me that they should in those circumstances have moved Heaven and Earth to ensure that you did not remain a dissatisfied customer. Was it Lexus Cheltenham ?

I note that your experience with Honda and the Toyota has been considerably more satisfying and in fact mirrors mine.

Thanks for the update, which will serve to remind me that Lexus are not always built, or maintained, by Gods !

Hi John

yes, it was an official warranted Lexus vehicle bought at Lexus in Cheltenham.  They have been excellent throughout and most work was in fact covered under warranty (I took the extended warranty out). I have nothing but praise for their customer service but they're really as disappointed and surprised as I am with these series of events, and have no answer for the failures other than bad luck, which I am prepared to accept.

The more complex these cars get, the more I guess we ought to expect problems, especially at the 5 years plus age when many sensors and electronic devices have reached their designed and specified reliability age.  I, for one, don't need nor value the electronic powered rear door...I'd much prefer an simple centrally locked manual rear door.  That would have put paid to the cost of the latest failure.  Expectations of customers dictate these things though as people tend to compare features when car buying without really thinking about the true benefit to cost/reliability issues.

As for the control arms, I put that down to the plethora of speed humps and raised sections at local pedestrian crossings.  2.3 tonnes is a heavy vehicle and unfortunately it does give things like suspension bushings are hard time.  I aim to keep my 2014 F-Sport RX for another 6 or 7 years, having already owned it 4 years, as the value to me was in long term ownership and running costs.  To date it has proved rather expensive to run...poor on petrol in the hilly area I live in and over complex.  I recently re-invested in a new extended warranty after leaving it 6 months after my last one ran out, due to my lack of faith in ongoing reliability based on experience to date.  As you say, it ought to capture anything more that happens.  People who don't take it out I am afraid could be selling themselves short so I now consider it as a mandatory part of annual running costs, plus the AA breakdown covers all vehicles we own and of course there's the free MOTs.  All in all, it's a small price for peace of mind.

Had it been any other car other than Lexus, I'd have moved it on, but customer service is second to none and my confidence is less with the vehicle and more that any serious issues will be swiftly dealt with in a professional and dedicated manner by Lexus Cheltenham.  None of their other current vehicles appeal to me.  The ES being FWD put an end to my interest in their saloons.  I was a big Mk2/3 GS fan but things have gone downhill since the mid noughties when their top spec GS models were almost on a par with the LS.

• Like 1

Many thanks Paul that reply warmed the cockles of my heart !

Full marks to Lexus Cheltenham then. We have a couple of members who speak warmly of them.

My GS Gen 3 450h is covered by the Lexus Extended until 2023.but onlyhad to use it once--for a new headlight. As you rightly say, it is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I continue to be amazed at people who say it (RX) is not economical when they drive it at considerable speed and it possess almost the aerodynamic qualities of a brick !

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 1

My long term average is 27pmg based on the trip computer, and I don't have a lead right foot.  No doubt it would be better than that in a flatter area.  On several 200 mile trips, mostly M-ways at 70-75mph it returned 32mpg.  Cross country it delivers closer to 34-35mpg in light traffic with infrequent stops.  Such a heavy vehicle will be very sensitive to how gently or not the right foot is used.  The old Rav4 gets closer to 36mpg average and on longer runs, closer to 42mpg but it is a whopping whole tonne lighter! Sorry to the OP for the extended thread drift.

• Like 2

Today my car passed its MOT with no secondary cat, just a straight pipe. Called to check first the answer was: 

"We do not do an emissions test but will perform a visual inspection. If the primary cats and sensors are in place and we have no other car to compare yours against then we do not know which cars have secondary catalysts and which have simply had a silencer removed therefore we will pass it" 

Naturally MOT found more bushes to replace, very annoying as one of the front lower arm bushes has play and the lower arms were new last year from Lexus Parts direct...

I've been worrying that they wouldn't pass it, so much so that I have bought a catalyst to weld in but with more snow incoming wanted the RX legal again. 

So straight pipe and a slightly friendly chat seems to do the trick 👍

• Like 2

Thank you for the information.

The MOT is due in February so it's something to consider.

Not replacing with another cat has multiple benefits, no chance of further theft and I will not contributing to the theiving toe rags ongoing profit margins and pension.

Regards.

• Haha 1

Do we know how modified CAT (I.e. A pipe welded after theft) would affect extended warranty or servicing at Lexus? I have both the service plan and warranty, and would like to plan ahead for when the (by the looks of it) inevitable happens. Thanks.

I'm not obsessed with that, but I try to remove metadata from pictures I post here and on social media to not make it easier for thieves to find my car, as I guess some are probably lurking here on forum to find their next victim. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Just a quick update Ashton Police contacted me today.

They asked for some details and confirmed that they are looking into the case and that there has been a spate of similar thefts and it is now on their radar.

Let’s hope something transpire like an arrest and conviction.

Also, I returned to the car park a week after the cat theft from my car, my granddaughter and I did some shopping at Sainsburys and left my wife in the car.

On our return she related something that was unusual. She saw a large scrap metal wagon with scrap visible in the back. It parked on the hatched area of the parking from which a person in a Hi Vis jacked alighted and immediately disappeared from view (she thought he dropped to the ground). Suddenly flashing lights and an alarm from a silver SUV next to the wagon started, the person in Hi Vis jumped into the wagon and it exited the car park. Apparently as the wagon pulled away someone was running towards the wagon pointing what look liked a key fob at the silver car.

Make of it what you will, but keep an eye open for large scrap wagons in mainly car orientated car parks.

• Sad 1

Hi.

Had the Hybrid Battery test undertaken to day (passed with flying colours) at Lexus in Stockport.

Speaking to staff on reception in the service department, they said that 3 customers this week alone have confirmed that they have had catalytic convertors stolen.

• Like 1

I replaced my missing cat with a flex pipe, but now the exhaust it deeper, louder and of course smokes more when cold. The cat seems to reduce the smoke and noise significantly. I definitely notice it's missing, which takes away from the Lexus experience. Anyone else experienced that and how to minimize it? Thanks.

P.S. No exhaust leaks, all coming out the exhaust pipe at the back.

4 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

I replaced my missing cat with a flex pipe, but now the exhaust it deeper, louder and of course smokes more when cold. The cat seems to reduce the smoke and noise significantly. I definitely notice it's missing, which takes away from the Lexus experience. Anyone else experienced that and how to minimize it? Thanks.

P.S. No exhaust leaks, all coming out the exhaust pipe at the back.

Not much you can do other than to put a silencer in place where the cat was, or put larger silencers on the rear to replace to original ones. The cat plays a part in keeping the noise down.

If you were to put a silencer in where the old cat was, you run the risk of someone cutting it out thinking it is a cat 😞

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, royoftherovers said:

Not checked the signage, I assume it will say "...at owners risk...."

Phil, You could be right, but one never knows!

And do read the signage re the cctv as the statements on both signs could be contradictory.

The fact that it states a certain position doesn't make it so? 

42 minutes ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

Does this affect the Gen 4 RX450h?

Any car on the road fitted with a cat could be a target, but I haven't heard of a single instance of a series IV RX being targeted. Cats on newer vehicles are supposedly not as valuable.

12 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Any car on the road fitted with a cat could be a target, but I haven't heard of a single instance of a series IV RX being targeted. Cats on newer vehicles are supposedly not as valuable.

It's strange why they are targeting some and not others. The problem is it kind of gives them a bad name. 

On 4/20/2021 at 10:58 AM, Dylanlewis2000 said:

It's strange why they are targeting some and not others. The problem is it kind of gives them a bad name. 

The thing is, some cats have a bigger matrix inside than others and so they are correspondingly worth more to the scrap man. If the scrap value of one cat is £20 and another is £250 then the thieves are obviously going to target the cars with higher value cats. The rumour is that earlier Hybrid models had higher levels of one of the rare metals, so that's why hybrids are getting targeted. Obviously petrol models with bigger cats are also among the main targets.