Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GS300 making noise when turning wheel

I have a 2003 Lexus GS300 with 87,000 on the odometer. She runs like a dream. Recently had my rear disc and pads replaced (a week ago). I have noticed today that when I turn the wheel (mainly right) I hear some form of squealing noise in my left front passenger side. I have lifted the hood and it sounds like it is coming from the engine? 

I have checked my power steering fluid, which is full. I have had the car since October 2020 and it has never made this sound. Car is regularly serviced and has had most things fixed such as cam belt etc, lower ball joints etc.

any suggestions of what this could be? 

I have attached a video to this channel, which may be more helpful. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KkkK3eO9-0s

37 minutes ago, Alexander-Lexus said:

I have a 2003 Lexus GS300 with 87,000 on the odometer. She runs like a dream. Recently had my rear disc and pads replaced (a week ago). I have noticed today that when I turn the wheel (mainly right) I hear some form of squealing noise in my left front passenger side. I have lifted the hood and it sounds like it is coming from the engine? 

I have checked my power steering fluid, which is full. I have had the car since October 2020 and it has never made this sound. Car is regularly serviced and has had most things fixed such as cam belt etc, lower ball joints etc.

any suggestions of what this could be? 

I have attached a video to this channel, which may be more helpful. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KkkK3eO9-0s

I wonder if it could be the power steering pump belt slipping? Has it been replaced at anytime do you know?

If I may suggest, try replacing the power steering fluid. As far as I can see from the parts diagram there is no fluid filter that may have been blocked. Turn the steering wheel fully to each direction to bleed the system.

My respect and admiration to your knowledge, contributions and days you have won!

Chris.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alexander-Lexus said:

I haven’t got any documentation to state it has been replaced. I will attempt to look today and see if there is any leaking. 

Out of curiosity, are these job expensive? 

If it turns out to be either of the above options then no, not expensive jobs.  I'm not too familiar with the GS300 layout but on the LS400/430 belt replacement takes just a few minutes and about £15.  Hopefully "Tigerfish" will be along to offer advice, he's the earlier GS knowledge!  Btw, if the rest of the car looks like it does in the video you've got a beauty!

Aux belt does indeed take minutes. Worth changing regardless.

I'll be honest, I didn't hear anything unusual in that video. Do you notice the noise when the car is moving and the steering isn't under such load?

I think it may help if you can get someone with a little bit of mechanical knowledge to listen under the bonnet when you turn the steering wheel, especially get them to concentrate on the steering pump itself.  It may also help to remove the belt and feel for any play/grinding in the various bearings/pulleys that the belt drives.

Thanks. I have a recommended mobile mechanic in my area coming out to see it. He suspects it’s the pump but said he will inspect first - could be that the wrong steering fluid is in. 

I’m sure it will be fixed soon

Thanks all! 

18 minutes ago, Alexander-Lexus said:

Thanks. I have a recommended mobile mechanic in my area coming out to see it. He suspects it’s the pump but said he will inspect first - could be that the wrong steering fluid is in. 

I’m sure it will be fixed soon

Thanks all! 

Keep us posted, it may help someone else at some point.

Upon further consideration, without the engine runnining, turn the steering wheel fully to the right and then to the left. If no noise is heard, then the problem is with the power steering.

If the noise is present, check all ball joints of the front suspension associated with each wheel. Also check the shock absorber top bearing in the engine bay if rotated by the shock absorber.

Chris.

Mobile mechanic has been out. He said the belt is fine, looks new and is clean. He said the pump looks new/newish as the bolts around it look new which may indicate it’s already been relaxed. He suggested replacing the power steering fluid firstly to see if that would make a difference rather than going straight to the pump. 

He said that he wouldn’t be actively concerned about the noise, it may be a valve or something similar but it isn’t very loud and you have to listen very closely to hear it. 

He also recommended I also contact Lexus for price etc for diagnostic is it needs further inspection. I called Lexus who said it is £85 per hour for diagnostic - this looks like it could be an expensive job. In all honesty, I think I’ll leave it until my driving is directly effected by it. 

the lower ball joints were only replaced around two years ago and recent service said they were fine. Although, I do note that the Lexus service in December did say that the lower arm bushes were perishing slightly and the OSR shock absorber was misting very slightly - not sure if that would have anything to do with it? 

Hi 

Great car and still one of the best cars I ever owned.  The things to be aware of, if not already done, at this mileage are shocks do fail on these sometimes rather too prematurely.  They were under specified by Lexus who for reasons known only to themselves refused to ever properly address the issue.  They are not cheap top replace and if one is weeping, then it's time to replace not just it, but both as a working pair.  It transforms the handling when you have these renewed.

The other bugbear is the exhaust at the point it splits from one to two at the Y junction.  This is a point of stress and the welds tend to fail here eventually.  Mine went at 67K miles and cost £750 from Lexus for a new back box and Y junction (no aftermarket parts were available).  Finally, the TPMS on mine was very temperamental, and eventually the transponders in the wheels failed, setting me back £284 to replace.  I took the opportunity to powder coat the wheels as all Lexus cars of this period had awful laquer quality, not up to British winter driving.  The salt destroys the allows once the lacquer starts to bubble.

Other than these issues, mechanically the cars are solid and that engine is an absolute peach.  Much more economical than the 4.3 V8 and really not a huge amount slower.

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links