Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Update on winter tyre performance on my RX 450H.......20 inch alloys

Thought this would of interest to all RX owners fitted with 20 inch alloys.

Had Yokohama Blue earth winter tyres  235/55/r20 fitted in November..............bought on line at £107 each via Roundtrip Tyres.........had the tyres fitted by Lexus Derby coinciding with the MOT...........they charged £5 per tyre fully fitted and balanced.

The car rides superbly with these tyres particularly in the wet.

Living in the Peak District we have had plenty of snow and icy conditions recently.........the car behaved surefooted and stable  albeit on  short local covid allowed shopping trips etc.

The car rides very well indeed, much better than the normal Bridgestones Summer tyres.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Terry thanks for letting us know, I have a real respect for drivers that put winter/all season tyres on their car, I am one of them!

On my GS I have GoodYear all season and i feel much more confident on white stuff! I also changed on my wifes car her run flats to a Goodyear all season tyres, it transformed the car! It is quieter now, comfier and much more usable when it's cold outside! 

The price you paid for the tyres and especially to fit them is really good! 

• Like 1

TJB, you will have to keep us updated on this especially for the wear rate on them.

I was thinking of them but ended up having two of the new Yokohama Geolander G058 fitted to the front of mine, so far they have proved to be good for noise level and roadholding even in the two big snowfalls we have had over the last two weeks.

Some tyre places are advertising them as summer tyres but Yokohama advise them as All Season.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, flookyk said:

TJB, you will have to keep us updated on this especially for the wear rate on them.

I was thinking of them but ended up having two of the new Yokohama Geolander G058 fitted to the front of mine, so far they have proved to be good for noise level and roadholding even in the two big snowfalls we have had over the last two weeks.

Some tyre places are advertising them as summer tyres but Yokohama advise them as All Season.

I would love to have Cross Climates on my RX, but it doesn't look like Michelin are going to do them for the gen 4.

Might seriously consider the Yokahomas when my Bridgestones require replacement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well having pondered what tyres to put on my car I'm going to sort out the yokahoma geolander cv058 as the replacements for the Bridgestone currently fitted. I got a price today of £141.25 each fitted so hoping my tyre guy (Chris Mullins) in Gloucester can compete.

You said you'd like the Michelin Cross Climates but can't get them, so have a look at Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2.

In tests and reviews the Michelin and these are just one or two points different in each parameter. I've got the Goodyears all round on mine and they are truly superb tyres.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Well having pondered what tyres to put on my car I'm going to sort out the yokahoma geolander cv058 as the replacements for the Bridgestone currently fitted. I got a price today of £141.25 each fitted so hoping my tyre guy (Chris Mullins) in Gloucester can compete.

Morning, I have no interests nor receive favourable treatment but take a look at Oponeo, they have amazing stock of all tyre brands! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I have those Yokohama's fitted to the front of mine in December, quite happy with the road noise and grip even during the  snow and ice we had here Jan/Feb time

I had some Vredestein Wintracs fitted a few years ago, and they were poor. Really noisy, wore fast and grip wasn’t the best - it was disappointing given how well reviewed they were.

Since then, on my Honda CR-V and on my two NXs, I’ve had a set of Falken Eurowinter which were truly excellent in every respect. Current Winter rubber are Bridgestone Blizzak which are generally very good indeed, if not quite as good as the Falken.

• Like 1

Well I bit the bullet and Chris Mullins is getting me 4 yokahoma Geolander CV 508's.
He couldn't match the price, but is a couple of pounds cheaper than Proquip and Black Circle.
He is also going to do trade price on tracking for me.
Hopefully get them fitted Wednesday or Thursday.

Just now, First_Lexus

I had some Vredestein Wintracs fitted a few years ago, and they were poor. Really noisy, wore fast and grip wasn’t the best - it was disappointing given how well reviewed they were.

Since then, on my Honda CR-V and on my two NXs, I’ve had a set of Falken Eurowinter which were truly excellent in every respect. Current Winter rubber are Bridgestone Blizzak which are generally very good indeed, if not quite as good as the Falken.

I didn't want the bother of changing and storing wheels which is why I decided to do as I did on my previous RX and fit all season tyres. Sadly my car has an unusual tyre size so I needed something other than Michelin as it appears they aren't going to do the Cross Climates in 235/55 /20.
The Yokahoma have made some very strong claims for the G058 and their publicity pictures show an RX and the new RAV4 fitted with them.
There is a YouTube video of the RAV44.
Getting them fitted today. 👍

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

I didn't want the bother of changing and storing wheels which is why I decided to do as I did on my previous RX and fit all season tyres.

^^ TBH I’d have probably done the same if Lexus hadn’t provided me with the extra set of wheels for free as a customer service gesture when I changed from NX #1 to NX #2 😁

Full Winter tyres do give me confidence when the weather is poor, but in this country (famous last words coming here!) we don’t really get bad enough Winter snow and ice to justify them. All season tyres are almost certainly a more sensible option.

Just to add, Lexus Swindon store my spare wheels for me and switch them over in just a few minutes - bolt on, bolt off.

• Like 1

Just now, olliesgrandad
Just now, First_Lexus

I didn't want the bother of changing and storing wheels which is why I decided to do as I did on my previous RX and fit all season tyres. Sadly my car has an unusual tyre size so I needed something other than Michelin as it appears they aren't going to do the Cross Climates in 235/55 /20.
The Yokahoma have made some very strong claims for the G058 and their publicity pictures show an RX and the new RAV4 fitted with them.
There is a YouTube video of the RAV44.
Getting them fitted today. 👍

Well I had my new tyres fitted today at Chris Mullins Tyres in Gloucester. As always a good job. 4 wheel alignment check unusually showed all settings perfect. Total cost £630 so I'm very happy and now hoping for snow to see if they can match Cross Climates ❄️😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Well I had my new tyres fitted today at Chris Mullins Tyres in Gloucester. As always a good job. 4 wheel alignment check unusually showed all settings perfect. Total cost £630 so I'm very happy and now hoping for snow to see if they can match Cross Climates ❄️😂

I can't help feeling that whilst you may be delighted to have a winter full of snow next year and thus give your G058's a thorough testing, tho' if you can arrange such weather Les, would you be good enough just to keep all of it in Gloucestershire please 😊

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links