Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has any owners had problems with the petrol cap sticking? I have now passed on my 500 Coupe (replaced it with convertible) to a family member who has now experienced the problem. The cap did stick when I first bought the vehicle but cleared it with WD40, not a good example for this very expensive car.

cheers

steve

• Sad 1

Been well documented on this forum as a fairly common issue.

Some owners have had an updated fuel flap mechanism but others,eg me,have resorted to spray lubricant and a little packing on the flap.

Seems to be a cold weather problem.Mine was perfect all Spring ,Summer and Autumn.

A J.

I have both the updated flap and a "little packing" of my own and I still occasionally get sticking. Yes, it is silly for such a simple thing to be so much trouble. A mechanism like the NX would have been just fine. 

On 1/20/2021 at 8:30 AM, Lakeside said:

Has any owners had problems with the petrol cap sticking? I have now passed on my 500 Coupe (replaced it with convertible) to a family member who has now experienced the problem. The cap did stick when I first bought the vehicle but cleared it with WD40, not a good example for this very expensive car.

cheers

steve

Seem to have solved my sticky flap with a bit of WD40 too....

Pleased to hear this but a word of caution. WD40 eventually turns into a thick sticky greasy goo. I have used dry film lubricant which doesn't do this and also doesn't attract the dirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take it back to Lexus, they will replace the cap free under the warranty, they will need the car all day as it is a long job

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, perhaps the car should go back, just something we could do without during the lockdown.

cheers

steve