Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 Petrol Cap

Lakeside

Has any owners had problems with the petrol cap sticking? I have now passed on my 500 Coupe (replaced it with convertible) to a family member who has now experienced the problem. The cap did stick when I first bought the vehicle but cleared it with WD40, not a good example for this very expensive car.

cheers

steve

• Sad 1

Been well documented on this forum as a fairly common issue.

Some owners have had an updated fuel flap mechanism but others,eg me,have resorted to spray lubricant and a little packing on the flap.

Seems to be a cold weather problem.Mine was perfect all Spring ,Summer and Autumn.

A J.

I have both the updated flap and a "little packing" of my own and I still occasionally get sticking. Yes, it is silly for such a simple thing to be so much trouble. A mechanism like the NX would have been just fine. 

On 1/20/2021 at 8:30 AM, Lakeside said:

Has any owners had problems with the petrol cap sticking? I have now passed on my 500 Coupe (replaced it with convertible) to a family member who has now experienced the problem. The cap did stick when I first bought the vehicle but cleared it with WD40, not a good example for this very expensive car.

cheers

steve

Seem to have solved my sticky flap with a bit of WD40 too....

Pleased to hear this but a word of caution. WD40 eventually turns into a thick sticky greasy goo. I have used dry film lubricant which doesn't do this and also doesn't attract the dirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a problem with the petrol tank cap a couple of weeks after taking delivery of my LC, the lid wouldn’t open whilst I was trying to fill up.

I called my local Lexus dealer who asked me if I had enough gas to get it to them which I had and took it in next day and waited a couple of hours whilst they fixed it.

I would be interested to know what they did in just 2 hours as the recall repair is a all day job.

I just hope they didn't just lube it other wise your be back in a couple of months.

Gordon,

If your LC is a 2020 model,it would seem the fuel cap mechanism fix which was available late 2019 is not a total fix .I was offered the fix a year ago by the dealer but elected to carry on as the warmer weather improved it and I applied a lubricant to the hinge.

A J.

My LC is a 20 plate but when I made the call to dealer and suggested I take in immediately he said that parts would have to be ordered so it would have to be the following afternoon.

Anyhow haven’t had any bother through the recent snow and cold weather, it’s being collected for its first service next week so will ask the to re check it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links