Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen black after battery change

Hi guys, 

So I ordered the IS300h 12v Battery from Lexus parts direct

Arrived today and fitted. Everything is working apart from the sat nav screen. Just wont switch on at all. Everything else seems to work including the AC an everything is lit up

Any ideas?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

Disconnect the battery again for about 10 minutes to see if it was just a one-off transient thing.

Ive disconnected the Battery for about 30 minutes as we speak. I've read online apparently you have to start the vehicle in accessory mode first, then press the volume knob to load the navigation on the 3IS. After that you can start it and it works OK.

Will give it a go in the next few minutes - just seems a bit unusual after a Battery change.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Ive disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes as we speak. I've read online apparently you have to start the vehicle in accessory mode first, then press the volume knob to load the navigation on the 3IS. After that you can start it and it works OK.

Will give it a go in the next few minutes - just seems a bit unusual after a battery change.

OK so I left everything unattached for 40 minutes. I attached the positive terminal, then the negative terminal and put the fuse back in. Started the car in accessory mode and pressed the volume button to turn the screen on but nothing! No difference. 

Turned the car on and again, and nope, its just not turning on. Completely black, reverse camera doesnt turn on etc the whole screen is just black

• Sad 1

Might give it another go tomorrow and wait longer for everything to start up in case it takes ages

The car didnt lose any memory settings whatsoever so Im sure something must be powering it still

Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new Battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.  

Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
1. Remove the Battery terminals for positive and negative
2. Leave the Battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal. 

Found the above rayaans, so leaving it for a long time like are going to do may work. Nothing to lose by this method anyway. Hope it works

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rayaans said:

That's the one I read. Bit weird how the memory seats and everything like that is kept though. 

Anyone know why that is? 

The only thing I can think of, although it's very unlikely, is that it's written into an EEPROM or something, a bit like a computer motherboard has a BIOS that can be flashed, instead of writing it to volatile memory like RAM that will be lost when it powers down.

As I said though, I really can't see it being that so Ocam's Razor says that you just didn't leave the Battery disconnected long enough.

18 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The only thing I can think of, although it's very unlikely, is that it's written into an EEPROM or something, a bit like a computer motherboard has a BIOS that can be flashed, instead of writing it to volatile memory like RAM that will be lost when it powers down.

As I said though, I really can't see it being that so Ocam's Razor says that you just didn't leave the battery disconnected long enough.

So would 40 mins not be enough? I'll check the radio fuse tomorrow and see if that's okay. 

Failing that I'll leave it for 2 hours or so. That should be plenty surely? 

I wonder if there's a lot of capacitors in the car that are holding energy for ages. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow. 

So I left the car for an hour with everything disconnected. Started it in accessory mode as said above and still no difference. The screen just doesnt turn on at all which is really odd.

Checked the radio fuse and its fine as well.

When pressing the Vol button do you press briefly or press and hold for >5sec? I believe a prolonged press resets the audio/nav system.

Is it possible to blank the screen in normal operation?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

When pressing the Vol button do you press briefly or press and hold for >5sec? I believe a prolonged press resets the audio/nav system.

Is it possible to blank the screen in normal operation?

I tried both to no avail.

The problem is, the screen is just not turning on. The usb is off too. It sounds like a fuse issue but the radio fuse is fine 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Bob99 said:

I have seen a picture of the fuse box and there is an ecu acc fuse, could that be an ‘accessories’ fuse. Might be worth a check. 

Thanks, Ill take a look at that one too. 

There are a lot of posts online talking about a dud radio unit. The problem is, the car was fine before the Battery change with no odd symptoms, so how could a dud radio unit be to blame? 

31 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

There is a setting to turn off the screen. That being the case, it might be a software issue.

Possibly could be. If the fuse doesnt work Im out of options and will have to get it checked over at Lexus - or toyota now that Lexus bradford have closed 

Here's a video about turning off the screen.

In the comments after the video, some people are asking how you turn it back on. The answer in this case seems to be press and hold the Menu button (or the Home button, though my car doesn't have a Home button).

I'm sure you've tried everything already but if you haven't tried pressing and holding Menu, maybe it's worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob99 said:

Would removing the sd card before powering up do anything. It may ask you then to insert it and reboot the system.

Did try that actually but nothing changed. Will take a look at that ecu-acc fuse tomorrow hopefully and see if it's that 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 200h said:

hi ray

did you get any further with the screen issue

Nope. its still black - I suspect the radio is dead. Took it into Bradford who checked it out but said they dont have the computer to do the job as they've basically closed Lexus Bradford down and are now just a Toyota dealer with a Lexus bit in the corner. They checked all the fuses though and all are intact. 

So, I need to get in contact with Lexus Stockport or Bolton instead. 

24 minutes ago, 200h said:

here is a link for a replacement screen just incase you need another one but its not cheap

https://www.synetiq.co.uk/parts-breaking/details/multifunction-display-lexus-is-hybrid-2013-to-2016-screen---warranty---10828633/-/76208/

I don't think it's the screen that's the issue. 

Its not turning on because of the radio unit. So I suspect the radio has gone. 

maybe contact the company i mentioned as they are always breaking lexus cars

and could probably help you as the interiors will always be unscathed after an accident

(bar airbag related items) so they could have a replacement head unit they can sell you,

they also give a warranty with the parts they sell it maybe 30 days but its definately

long enough to evaluate if the part bought is working correctly.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...