Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen black after battery change

16 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yeah don't go near a US one. Different device, different software - it has Lexus enform, sat radio etc. and no DAB.

Do you know whether a 2015 unit would work? Synetiq have the premium nav unit and heater controls so I could swap that over

It just looks like the 2015 version is a Matt finish instead

21 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Do you know whether a 2015 unit would work? Synetiq have the premium nav unit and heater controls so I could swap that over

It just looks like the 2015 version is a Matt finish instead

It should do is the best I could say.

The late 2014 model onwards has a different head unit which can play video from the USB ports, and those nasty cheap looking matt finished controls, but I don't see why any of that would result in any wiring change or other incompatibility but unfortunately you can never really know until you try it 😞 

This is frightening as no fuses were blown !

So how can the Nav be caput?

Someone on here or @ Lexus must know the solution as it does not make sense.

Tel

• Like 1

Doesnt make sense but apparently its a known issue in the US

Anyway, I called Lexus Breakers in Accrington and spoke to Scott who took the part number and said give him 30 mins, he'll see if he has any. 

Good news is - he's found the same unit 86804-53P41. Its tested and working with 2 months warranty and has the SD card inside. £375+vat so £450 all in. Will get my local auto electrician to fit the unit next week and hopefully should have a working radio!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Doesnt make sense but apparently its a known issue in the US

Anyway, I called Lexus Breakers in Accrington and spoke to Scott who took the part number and said give him 30 mins, he'll see if he has any. 

Good news is - he's found the same unit 86804-53P41. Its tested and working with 2 months warranty and has the SD card inside. £375+vat so £450 all in. Will get my local auto electrician to fit the unit next week and hopefully should have a working radio!

Really hope this all works out, it's not a good advert for Lexus

7 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Where'd you read this @rayaans? We should probably be more aware with the number of 12v battery changes going on at the mo!

All on ClubLexus. 

Apparently happening a lot there with 2014MY after a Battery change the unit just goes dead. Doesnt seem to affect later models. There's 3 or 4 on th 3IS page fairly recently.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, rayaans said:

All on ClubLexus. 

Apparently happening a lot there with 2014MY after a battery change the unit just goes dead. Doesnt seem to affect later models. There's 3 or 4 on th 3IS page fairly recently.

My IS 300h is a late 2014 model on its original Battery and so I can see a time in the not too distant future when the Battery will need changing. Having read your thread and some of the others on ClubLexus it does appear there is an unexplained problem - I have changed numerous car batteries myself in the past without an issue, but when I need one on this car I think it will now be a visit to Lexus just in case - I have the Extended Warranty too but who knows if that would cover the entertainment system in same circumstances as you had?

Hope that you get yours sorted with the 2nd hand unit.

14 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

My IS 300h is a late 2014 model on its original battery and so I can see a time in the not too distant future when the battery will need changing. Having read your thread and some of the others on ClubLexus it does appear there is an unexplained problem - I have changed numerous car batteries myself in the past without an issue, but when I need one on this car I think it will now be a visit to Lexus just in case - I have the Extended Warranty too but who knows if that would cover the entertainment system in same circumstances as you had?

Hope that you get yours sorted with the 2nd hand unit.

Have you got the shiny black finish on the heater controls or the matt black? I understand the later models are Matt black plastic and they don't suffer from this issue

To be safe I would take it to a Lexus dealer to change the Battery

55 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Apparently happening a lot there with 2014MY after a battery change the unit just goes dead. Doesnt seem to affect later models. There's 3 or 4 on th 3IS page fairly recently.

Have you got a link or an address for the page? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in what your research has found.

47 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

Have you got a link or an address for the page? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in what your research has found.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/

This is the 3IS thread page on clublexus

There are a few posts, more recently probably because of the pandemic regarding radios on 2013/14 IS models.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tel said:

Excellent for Rayaan thank goodness.

If Lexus Dealership had changed the battery I assume they would pay the Bill.

Tel

I presume so. They can't exactly wriggle out of it if you turn up in a car with sat nav, radio and everything working, you turn it on to leave and its dead! 

Hopefully this unit works straight out of the box!

I wonder if there is a way of rebooting it from factory settings. There was when I had. Honda Accord. You had to know the button pressed and order to initiate one. This feels to me like some kind of anti-theft thing perhaps? Maybe the unit has gone into a safe mode and needs to be rebooted from scratch? That said, the replacement wouldn’t work then. Hoping you may have found a reasonably priced solution though 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tel said:

This is frightening as no fuses were blown !

So how can the Nav be caput?

Someone on here or @ Lexus must know the solution as it does not make sense.

Tel

There is probably a fuse inside the unit that has blown. Pioneer electronics are normally pretty good so doubt it would have been damaged any further.

i feel the power supply in the radio has blown and probably needs

a few capacitors replacing as they will of taken a surge when the

12v power was re applied  to the car,

i had this with a philips streamium home audio system

plugged it in again and nothing i found 7 capacitors needed replacing

46 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

There is probably a fuse inside the unit that has blown. Pioneer electronics are normally pretty good so doubt it would have been damaged any further.

39 minutes ago, 200h said:

i feel the power supply in the radio has blown and probably needs

a few capacitors replacing as they will of taken a surge when the

12v power was re applied  to the car,

i had this with a philips streamium home audio system

plugged it in again and nothing i found 7 capacitors needed replacing

The radio unit still has power. It's lit up and the cd ejector still works

Apparently it's the receiver itself that has failed.

The unit isn't a pioneer. It's a Fujitsu Ten

I think it would be of massive interest to everyone if you took your 'damaged ' unit to a car hifi repair place. I'm betting they'd find the problem and fix it for not as much as you'd think. Then you could sell that unit on and recoup a substantial percentage of the unit you've bought. 

Google car hifi repair engineers or home hifi amplifier repair engineers. Well worth a punt.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rayaans said:

The radio unit still has power. It's lit up and the cd ejector still works

Apparently it's the receiver itself that has failed.

The unit isn't a pioneer. It's a Fujitsu Ten

It's all one unit.

Fujitsu Ten supply the 6 speaker system, 8 and 15 are Pioneer.

Here's a 15 speaker system (head units essentially the same):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS300H-F-SPORT-HEAD-UNIT-CD-MARK-LEVISON-HEATER-CONTROL-2013-2016-/402537342656

I'm sure you've seen this and have given it a shot, but a few people are hailing this as the solution on Club Lexus.

Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:

1. Remove the battery terminals for positive and negative

2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)

3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over

4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio

5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal. 

Yep it doesn't work on cars newer than late 2014 as the head unit just dies. Seems to work for newer vehicles

I sent an email to Lexus customer relations. They're liaising with Lexus Stockport to find out the cause. 

I'll hang fire on fitting this used unit for a bit and see what they come up with

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Rayaans out of interest how come you didn't try Lexus Leeds as it's a lot nearer than Stockport?

So it was booked in with Lexus Bradford but it closed and became Toyota Bradford who checked the fuses but didn't have the diagnostic machine apparently to check the radio. Now all my car's are under RRG service plans and they have full record of what I've had done with the car too.

The closest one after Bradford is Stockport for me so just let Toyota Bradford book it into Lexus Stockport. 

Stockport didn't even charge me diagnostics as the problem is completely new to them and they were quite shocked at the repair price

Oh right. I always thought you was in Bradford because of the number of times you mentioned them. Out of interest where are you then? I'm in Rochdale. Suppose Bolton is nearer for me but I know Stockport.