Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen black after battery change

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Oh right. I always thought you was in Bradford because of the number of times you mentioned them. Out of interest where are you then? I'm in Rochdale. Suppose Bolton is nearer for me but I know Stockport.

I'm between Bradford and Leeds, closer to Bradford though. 

I went to Bolton once but found it awfully congested in terms of the dealership itself. Parking was poor in my opinion so preferred Stockport and it's easier to get to for me

What? Between Bradford and Leeds yet you find Stockport easier to get to? Wow. I'm gobsmacked by that. I'm a professional 7.5t driver of over 25 years and knocking on the door of 2 million miles in one. Been all over the country in one and loved every mile. 

Mind you our of Lexus Leeds and Stockport I know where I'd go lol. I've bought 2 cars from Leeds and 1 from Stockport but each of my 4 Lexus's have gone to Stockport for services or a technical issue. Oh I've moved twice in the past few years.

18 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

What? Between Bradford and Leeds yet you find Stockport easier to get to? Wow. I'm gobsmacked by that. I'm a professional 7.5t driver of over 25 years and knocking on the door of 2 million miles in one. Been all over the country in one and loved every mile. 

Mind you our of Lexus Leeds and Stockport I know where I'd go lol. I've bought 2 cars from Leeds and 1 from Stockport but each of my 4 Lexus's have gone to Stockport for services or a technical issue. Oh I've moved twice in the past few years.

In comparison to Bolton I mean. Literally I just get on the M62 and M60 and I'm at Stockport.

Does look quite easy. Much easier than the Jags door panel I pulled off recently. 

Having said that I don't fancy breaking anything so I'll probably just leave it my friend to sort out who's an auto electrician lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rayaans said:

So the radio has arrived. Looks exactly the same and has the SD card inside which is good.

IMG_20210222_121904.thumb.jpg.26901df92495e4e1aa4a9f4066715681.jpg

Just waiting on my auto electrician to sort it out now.

I'm very interested in this thread because it looks like my IS300H is the same vintage as yours - Late 2014 - and I might therefore have the same problem if/when my 12V Battery is replaced. 👍

I'm a bit confused about the mention of an SD card? I thought the standard setup didn't have an SD card - e.g. a USB stick is used to update the Sat Nav. Where is it located?

18 minutes ago, route66 said:

I'm very interested in this thread because it looks like my IS300H is the same vintage as yours - Late 2014 - and I might therefore have the same problem if/when my 12V battery is replaced. 👍

I'm a bit confused about the mention of an SD card? I thought the standard setup didn't have an SD card - e.g. a USB stick is used to update the Sat Nav. Where is it located?

It's in the flap at the front of the radio unit. 

The theory over in the states is that the radio doesn't shut down properly. So it causes the Battery to drain. Which makes you think oh yh let's change the Battery and then it dumps the receiver once power is removed.

So theoretically you could bypass this problem by using a memory saver when changing batteries 

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That sounds like a design flaw which Lexus must be aware of and know of a remedy. 

Probably is.... Hence the radio design and connectors changed in late 2014! 

Anyway, on a side note:

IMG_20210223_174644.thumb.jpg.941a5a50cf5c8bdef45c1655ea34c11b.jpg

Had the radio fitted and its working. Had to resynchronise the reversing camera by turning left and right but other than that, no problem.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Brechin Slate said:

Not sure what that means but great that you have it working again.  I'm a bit disturbed that you're out of pocket though through no fault of your own.

Basically, when the radio unit was connected to the car, it was in accessory mode as the car was left in neutral for easy access to everything so it switched on immediately. 

Now when I put the car in reverse, there were no guidelines and it said, system initialising with a "clickable" question mark next to it. I clicked it and it said turn steering wheel fully to left and then fully to the right to synchronise guidelines. Did that and it was fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, route66 said:

Rayanns system isn't standard, it is the premium nav system. 

13 hours ago, rayaans said:

Hence the radio design and connectors changed in late 2014! 

Are we saying that this will not be an issue on post 2014 cars then?  We can do a Battery change without fear of going through all this?  It'd be good to know!

16 hours ago, rayaans said:

The theory over in the states is that the radio doesn't shut down properly. So it causes the battery to drain. Which makes you think oh yh let's change the battery and then it dumps the receiver once power is removed.

Any more detail on this much appreciated @rayaans

How does one shut it down properly, any idea?

When you say "dumps" the power, what power do you mean sorry? Power built up somewhere?

And you mention Battery drain. Is that a permanent parasitic drain even in day to day use?

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Rayanns system isn't standard, it is the premium nav system. 

Does this problem affect the "standard" radio on my Executive (i.e. with the circular wheel, not the square joystick)?

5 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

Are we saying that this will not be an issue on post 2014 cars then?  We can do a battery change without fear of going through all this?  It'd be good to know!

Apparently not. It seems to only affect cars which have the radio and climate control buttons in this finish:

Lexus-IS-2014-1600-77.jpg

There are no reports of this problem affecting later vehicles with the below finish:

lexus+is+300+4.jpg

Now whether thats due to the vehicles being newer and not needed a Battery change yet, who knows?

4 hours ago, matt8 said:

Any more detail on this much appreciated @rayaans

How does one shut it down properly, any idea?

When you say "dumps" the power, what power do you mean sorry? Power built up somewhere?

And you mention battery drain. Is that a permanent parasitic drain even in day to day use?

Well apparently the radio receiver is supposed to shut down on its own BUT apparently when it becomes faulty it can stay on draining the Battery. So it'll be troublesome to start the vehicle even after 2 days which is what I was experiencing even though the AA guy said it charges fine. So potentially the Battery was fine, and it was actually the radio causing the problem in the first place!

When I say dump the power, I dont mean in technical terms. I meant that the radio unit essentially fries something when the power is removed from it as its been shut down. Whether thats hardware or software, nobody knows until someone has a look at it.

2 hours ago, route66 said:

Does this problem affect the "standard" radio on my Executive (i.e. with the circular wheel, not the square joystick)?

I think there have been some reports in the states about it affecting vehicles without navigation but not entirely sure as they have completely different units over there to us.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, rayaans said:

12 hours ago, route66 said:

I think there have been some reports in the states about it affecting vehicles without navigation but not entirely sure as they have completely different units over there to us.

I have Sat Nav - but don't have the Premium setup.