Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen black after battery change

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Rayaan I know it’s been a while now since you replaced yours but if you still have the old faulty unit I would be happy to take a look at it which may result in a repair or at least help other members in the same position.

It would make a change from LS400 ECUs, Climate Control LCDs, Radio backlight issues and the interior lights controllers I used to repair.

Unfortunately I don't have mine any longer. 

I sold the old unit on eBay for like £300. Someone obviously wanted it in faulty condition for that sum so I suspect they might have known how to fix it.

39 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Unfortunately I don't have mine any longer. 

I sold the old unit on eBay for like £300. Someone obviously wanted it in faulty condition for that sum so I suspect they might have known how to fix it.

Yes, and replace a few 10 dollar components!

5 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

I've tried three repair shops and none of them are confident. Pioneer will not supply the testing and repair instructions after Lexus threatened court action. It's all a big quango. 

Can you post a email me a hi res photo of this unit, the circuit board? Or can you disassemble it..

6 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Companies don't want drama, hence a claim out of the mainstream media, 100 percent Lexus know about this issue but are just playing along with it and charging customers for a replacement unit.

When I complained to the Lexus dealer that wrongly diagnosed it as an amp fault he told me to be thankful it wasn't an NX because he has a customer that's getting a bill in excess of €8,000 to replace his head unit, 

I have rang every audio "expert" that I can find in Ireland and not one will say more than  "sorry we don't touch them"

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, matt8 said:

Looks like we’ve got a few offers from forum members, to take a look at a failed unit, to see if they can diagnose or get to the bottom of it.

Who wants to send their broken unit to either @ColinBarber, @toffee_pie or @steve2006?

When I'm sorted I'll be willing to send mine. Obviously, if Lexus chip in and want it back I'll have to comply, but if they don't and I end up paying for my own second hand unit, it'll be doing the rounds. I don't mind if the three of them pass it around for their research. If they fix it economically I'll pay them for their time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Big T said:

When I complained to the Lexus dealer that wrongly diagnosed it as an amp fault he told me to be thankful it wasn't an NX because he has a customer that's getting a bill in excess of €8,000 to replace his head unit, 

I have rang every audio "expert" that I can find in Ireland and not one will say more than  "sorry we don't touch them"

Exactly my experience. I reckon the guy in Byfleet, Cartronics, was going to source a second hand one and charge me £1810.00. I can't see a repair possibly costing virtually as much as the brand new item in 2013.

The number one rule of companies is not to admit liability unless absolutely necessary - ie air bag recalls and stuff - its the same with everyone, inc the issue I have with a computer manufacturer. 

Anyone paying 2k or such for a unit is bonkers  - please dont and give it to someone to look at as above comment - repairing these is  entirely possible if you have skills, time and patience but all that is lacking now and the easiest route is swap in a brand new unit - its like this for all main components - fancy headlights etc - 

Kazumi Imai would be shocked with this...'The professionals'

AIRED November 8, 2019 3:00 PM on NHK  RUNTIME 1h COUNTRY Japan
Deep in the mountains of Mie Prefecture, a little electronics repair shop stands alone. Appliances that have been given up on and refused by other shops arrive here from throughout the country in hopes that the owner, Kazumi Imai, will breathe new life into them. Amazingly, Imai's repair success rate is over 95%! He's spent half a century dealing with countless electronics, granting the wishes of his clients to keep using them. We take a look at Imai's astonishing repair techniques and his dedication to his way of life.

Many years ago not long after I purchased my 94 Celsior I decided, like many, to replace all the interior lights with LED “bulbs”.

2 weeks later and I had no interior lights due to the nice Far Eastern quality LEDs having gone short circuit.

Being Toyota this was not just a case of a blown fuse but failure of the “Integration Relay” ( basically an ECU for internal lighting control).

Located behind the fuse box once removed it didn’t take me long to find a 10 Ohm fusible resistor open circuit, still a fuse but in the unit.

Replaced the part, ripped out the LEDs to refit the original bulbs and normal service resumed.

Cost to repair…..pennies, cost of replacement unit from Toyota hundreds!

• Like 3

Well, I've spoken to Lexus Stoke and according to them, and I suspect they're lying, it's never happened before when they've changed a 12 volt Battery and it's my fault for changing my Battery on my own car.

I don't recall signing a contract when I paid for the car outright, on the day I collected it, that stated that it was still their property!

I'll be sourcing my own replacement and referencing the numerous posts on this forum regarding the on going issues to take to a small claims court.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

Well, I've spoken to Lexus Stoke and according to them, and I suspect they're lying, it's never happened before when they've changed a 12 volt battery and it's my fault for changing my battery on my own car.

I don't recall signing a contract when I paid for the car outright, on the day I collected it, that stated that it was still their property!

I'll be sourcing my own replacement and referencing the numerous posts on this forum regarding the on going issues to take to a small claims court.

Like I said multiple times, Lexus won't admit liability and for sure are aware of this issue and the SCC is the correct way to go IMO. It's there for reasons just like this

• 2 months later...

Some good news at last. I saw a radio on eBay at a breakers in London, the model number was one up from mine, an 86130 53172, mine is the 53171, the other number is NXF-9038ZT2, the original being NXF-9038 ZT.
I took a punt on it as he only wanted £199 posted and it arrived yesterday.
I've just pulled the two amplifier fuses, radio, ECU Acc and IG1 to deaden all circuits and fitted it. I then switched all the lights on and reinstalled the fuses. There was a nervy moment when one of the amplifier fuses drew a spark though, but it works! I've got everything back except DAB tuning, it says "No Signal" which is strange as the pre programmed stations work! Weird, but I can live with that. 😁
All the vehicle settings I had were retained, as were the phone book entries, even though I didn't transfer the contacts list.

Out of interest, Lexus wanted £6200 for a replacement unit, but offered £3100 back if I exchanged the faulty one! That's funny, as she started off by claiming they can't be repaired.

I'll also be trying a small claims court against Lexus, I can only lose £30 after all.

• Like 3

Great result Paul 😀

it does make me wonder if Lexus are indeed aware of this fault and the replacement you bought is a modified/ upgraded unit particularly given the 2 suffix maybe indicating version 2.

A pity the car is now 10 years old otherwise you could have used the Consumer Rights Act up to 6 years old.

I would have taken Lexus to the SCC long ago if it was me involved - a flawed unit and having the audacity to charge 6 grand to get it replaced - or half that if you send the dud one back - seriously

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

I would have taken Lexus to the SCC long ago if it was me involved - a flawed unit and having the audacity to charge 6 grand to get it replaced - or half that if you send the dud one back - seriously

Then for the dud one to return to the spares shelf ready to retail as a mark 2 version.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 11:48 PM, matt8 said:

Looks like we’ve got a few offers from forum members, to take a look at a failed unit, to see if they can diagnose or get to the bottom of it.

Who wants to send their broken unit to either @ColinBarber, @toffee_pie or @steve2006?

I would have been happy to send my faulty unit to someone to try have it fixed after Lexus replaced it, for €2780 (and that was cheaper than the €3260 another main dealer wanted)but when I asked for the unit they informed me that the faulty one was being classed as a trade in against the new unit 😤😡 and was printed on the receipt as such, 

I love my Lexus but I really really hate the prices we are charged for something that seems to be a massive recurring fault throughout Lexus cars. Maybe they don't make enough profit selling their cars, so find ways to make more money by inserting faults that are well known but seemingly accepted by us, the people that love Lexus cars.

The only thing that I can use to rationalise spending that amount of money on a 9 year old car is that it's the only fault I encountered since I purchased it in 2018 n spread over 5 years it sounds better lol

On 10/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, Paul Brooksbank said:

I've got everything back except DAB tuning, it says "No Signal" which is strange as the pre programmed stations work!

You probably already know this, but the DAB radio can say No Signal if it's out of range of the selected "Ensemble". When this happens, you have to find an Ensemble which is in range. If the pre-sets are working then the No Signal message might be something to do with this.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:11 AM, Thackeray said:

You probably already know this, but the DAB radio can say No Signal if it's out of range of the selected "Ensemble". When this happens, you have to find an Ensemble which is in range. If the pre-sets are working then the No Signal message might be something to do with this.

It's tuned in now and working perfectly. The manual shows the same message in the screen shots too. 😁

2 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

It's tuned in now and working perfectly. The manual shows the same message in the screen shots too. 😁

You should have sent me that dud unit, I highly suspect that Lexus are fully aware of what's happening their Navi units.. 8 thousand pounds to fix a dead screen on a new model. This could potentially open a whole can of worms. 

I've said it a few times but my Subaru has its Battery disconnected about 1,200 times and all I get is a security error at worst which is taken care of by disconnected and reconnecting the Battery terminal again. The unit will never ever implode. The Subaru has multiple ECU, BCUs and other modern complexity like any car.

But yeah, this isn't good for lexus and there not a recall because obviously Lexus aren't saying anything is wrong at all.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:37 PM, toffee_pie said:

You should have sent me that dud unit, I highly suspect that Lexus are fully aware of what's happening their Navi units.. 8 thousand pounds to fix a dead screen on a new model. This could potentially open a whole can of worms. 

I've said it a few times but my Subaru has its battery disconnected about 1,200 times and all I get is a security error at worst which is taken care of by disconnected and reconnecting the battery terminal again. The unit will never ever implode. The Subaru has multiple ECU, BCUs and other modern complexity like any car.

But yeah, this isn't good for lexus and there not a recall because obviously Lexus aren't saying anything is wrong at all.

I can still send it to you Eric, I'm not really bothered if you can't find the fault. Since fitting the replacement I haven't had time to strip out the PCB and photograph the IC's as everything else seems to have gotten in the way.

If you PM me your address I'll get it sent to you, it doesn't matter how long you take.

It does beg the question as to whether it's worth repairing though as my replacement only cost me £199 and the other units for sale on eBay and ACD Lexus breakers in Oswaldtwistle haven't shifted in months. However, even if you only ascertain what's blowing up to help anybody else with the issue, it'll be worth looking at.

3 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

I can still send it to you Eric, I'm not really bothered if you can't find the fault. Since fitting the replacement I haven't had time to strip out the PCB and photograph the IC's as everything else seems to have gotten in the way.

If you PM me your address I'll get it sent to you, it doesn't matter how long you take.

It does beg the question as to whether it's worth repairing though as my replacement only cost me £199 and the other units for sale on Ebay and ACD Lexus breakers in Oswaldtwistle haven't shifted in months. However, even if you only ascertain what's blowing up to help anybody else with the issue, it'll be worth looking at.

I don't really care much about fixing or not - just seeing if I can find out what's happening with the unit and if some light can be shed. I have no idea when I get a chance to look at this but send it anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

just to add insult to injury, tonight in an icey carpark I slid into a pole n hood pop up failure has shown up (as well as needing a new bumper 😭) loving Lexus hurts!!! at this point I think I'd rather hurt a pedestrian than have the hood pop up for their safety lol

woe is me🫣

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links