Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic transmission

Derek Kane

4 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yes I am sure you know that, but there is gap between what ATF does, what role it plays in automatic gearbox is and what you suggesting. Your suggested service period pretty much matches manual transmission service period, yet we can all agree that automatic transmission fluid can last longer.

As I have already said - if not replacing fluid frequently would be so detrimental to wear and reliability of the transmission, then we see a lot of IS250 AT with transmission issues, yet this is virtually unheard of. 

You can not see it can you ?................. I give up trying to make you see the sense in periodically replacing as much fluid as is practical . Listen to Cadodans videos and get back with your thoughts . 

Your point is well understood - you like to spend money and time on issues which are unlikely to ever happen within the period when car is still worth maintaining.

I let you do exactly that, after all that is your time and your money... 

10 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Your point is well understood - you like to spend money and time on issues which are unlikely to ever happen within the period when car is still worth maintaining.

I let you do exactly that, after all that is your time and your money... 

You are obviously a  merchant banker by profession ............................................... ooops did I spell that right ?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, nicnac said:

He doesnt work for trump any more so spare time to hand John 😜

He has an extremely wide range of knowledge and a very good command of English, given his comparative youth and background Nick. I think that you two will get along very well.Seriously.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

He has an extremely wide range of knowledge and a very good command of English, given his comparative youth and background Nick. I think that you two will get along very well.Seriously.

Im sure John ................. and I have a new job for you ...........to head up the diplomatic core on here . 😉

43 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

multitasking 😅

In my time young man you lot spent more time watching cricket all over the World than you did watching the Markets! You were reactionary rather than proactive.

1 minute ago, nicnac said:

Im sure John ................. and I have a new job for you ...........to head up the diplomatic core on here . 😉

Just now, royoftherovers said:

In my time young man you lot spent more time watching cricket all over the World than you did watching the Markets! You were reactionary rather than proactive.

Thanks Nick.I would certainly put square pegs in square holes. But I`m a long time out of that Profession.

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Nick.I would certainly put square pegs in square holes. But I`m a long time out of that Profession.

But always a rational gentleman .................. proper order!

• Like 1

On 16/01/2021 at 11:26 AM, ahmed-abrar said:

yes its worth it if the cars a keeper (3-5 years plus) & your gonna do the mileage, no performance gains in my opinion unless with other engine mods

part no 33.2345 btw if you haven't already checked

On 22/01/2021 at 10:59 AM, Derek Kane said:

Hi all, has anyone here changed the transmission fluid and is there a service interval for that? I know that lexus say its life time but define life time. My car has 89000 on it and I think a change of fluid and filter for that matter would be a good idea at this point. Any advice welcome, thanks. 

I got mine changed at a garage. It's been driving fine

I had mine part changed in 2017 (had 2 out of 3 flushes done before the car, 2007 IS250, was written off in an accident) - had issues a bit with judder and the solenoid issue every so often - it definitely cured the issue and i was waiting to get the 3rd flush done but lost the car before it could be completed. Car was over 100k miles (cant remember the exact mileage, i think near to 114?) - the change was made by an indie garage which i trusted but has closed down now. Took a picture at the time of the differences in the oil - old vs new flush and you can see the difference. This was after second flush and possibly didn't need a 3rd? Remember the old smelling a bit burnt but don't know what it smells like anyway so cant comment on the comparison - car was looked after by me for at least 50k miles before i lost it and was a daily driver with at least 10 miles driven a day, whether that's too short i don't know...

ATF oil.jpg

• 1 month later...

Boy did I have fun reading this thread from start to finish ... all because I'm new not only to Lexus but also to auto boxes and I thought I'd learn something.  Which I certainly did, mostly about (active) service efficiency and logical thinking! 😀

Reminded me of an old adage that compares two different character types ... namely "he who knows not but knows not that he knows not" and then "he who knows and knows that he knows". ☺️

As has already been posted quite succinctly ... reader's choice.  Fascinating.  Thanks guys. 👍

• Haha 2

By the way my 193k miles fluid looked similar to what was posted in this thread - just kind of brown liquid. But I am sure it would look the same after 20k miles as well. 

On 2/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, is200 Newbie said:

I had mine part changed in 2017 (had 2 out of 3 flushes done before the car, 2007 IS250, was written off in an accident) - had issues a bit with judder and the solenoid issue every so often - it definitely cured the issue and i was waiting to get the 3rd flush done but lost the car before it could be completed. Car was over 100k miles (cant remember the exact mileage, i think near to 114?) - the change was made by an indie garage which i trusted but has closed down now. Took a picture at the time of the differences in the oil - old vs new flush and you can see the difference. This was after second flush and possibly didn't need a 3rd? Remember the old smelling a bit burnt but don't know what it smells like anyway so cant comment on the comparison - car was looked after by me for at least 50k miles before i lost it and was a daily driver with at least 10 miles driven a day, whether that's too short i don't know...

ATF oil.jpg

Did you flush or drain the pan? I did a real flush on my car and i did’nt expect any improvement, but after the flush the gearbox change gear dovn in a lower rpm, maybe other things changed to the better too , but i cant be sure. Flushed on 250000km, not recommended by Lexus bay the way. Flushed only vith the atf fluid, no cleaning fluid.

There was a story with BMW when the life-time AT fluids were introduced (similar to Toyota WS): they initially stated life-time/no change and sealed gearboxes. A few years later (>2014?) the no-change recommendations were reversed, and currently you can do an AT oil change with the dealer. I think now the recommendation is 80,000 to 120,000 km or 8 years.

The main argument for not changing the oil (sorry if it was discussed already) used to be that when you do it late, there may be some deposits in the gearbox, which will be washed off from their places by fresh oil, and may instantly block internal systems or alter the way in which tired and worked parts used to cope. So either you do it periodically with reasonable intervals, or when it comes to 200k miles and 10 years, it may be better to leave the gearbox as is.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 4:20 PM, Alfalfa said:

after the flush the gearbox change gear dovn in a lower rpm

This may be due to the difference in viscosity between the old oil and the new one. Oil does not get better with time, and even its core characteristics may be affected.

Last time I changed oil in a fully-fledged AT (it was Nissan Pathfinder) I had similar effect. The sound of the gearbox changed noticeably, and it started picking higher gear at slightly lower RPM. And it was perfectly fine. It might be partly due to the fact that I used LiquiMoly 1800 ATF instead of the Nissan Matic S. Despite LiquiMoly was certified for Matic S specs, it was noticeably different, even by colour.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 7:39 PM, Sundance said:

Boy did I have fun reading this thread from start to finish ... all because I'm new not only to Lexus but also to auto boxes and I thought I'd learn something.  Which I certainly did, mostly about (active) service efficiency and logical thinking! 😀

Reminded me of an old adage that compares two different character types ... namely "he who knows not but knows not that he knows not" and then "he who knows and knows that he knows". ☺️

As has already been posted quite succinctly ... reader's choice.  Fascinating.  Thanks guys. 👍

I know which one I am 🤭

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, nicnac said:

I know which one I am 🤭

I think you've got that sussed Nick! 😉   But then whereas I used to be "he who knows not but knows he knows not" I now occasionally find that I'm more like "he who knows but knows not that he knows".  Ain't life confusing ...? 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, ahmed-abrar said:

this is a heavy posting!! I'm just trying to find out the amount of fluid required when the internal filter is removed & replaced, this WS fluid is not cheap & I'm looking to get enough that is required for the change 

If you only take out the oil in the pan, between 1-2 liters, if you do a full flush, around 7 liters.