Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Breakdown chance at 90%

Hi Guys

Today while renewing my breakdown cover with Greenflag I was told yes I can have Europlus cover (as we like to drive to Europe from time to time) but I would not be covered in Europe as my car was too old and the chance of breakdown was 90% I was then told that I could buy another newer car which wouldn't breakdown to drive when traveling across the channel.

In dismay I thanked the lady for her companies Ignorance and left to search for some cover of my wretched car that I am now scared to take out for a drive to the supermarket as..... I may breakdown at any moment.

Does anyone have any advice on a company that might cover a finely aged Toyota?

19 minutes ago, skyway said:

Hi Guys

Today while renewing my breakdown cover with Greenflag I was told yes I can have Europlus cover (as we like to drive to Europe from time to time) but I would not be covered in Europe as my car was too old and the chance of breakdown was 90% I was then told that I could buy another newer car which wouldn't breakdown to drive when traveling across the channel.

In dismay I thanked the lady for her companies Ignorance and left to search for some cover of my wretched car that I am now scared to take out for a drive to the supermarket as..... I may breakdown at any moment.

Does anyone have any advice on a company that might cover a finely aged Toyota?

My 18 year old, 247,000 mile Mercedes is covered by my Nationwide Flexiplus Account Allan.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Howplum said:

RACs plan has no vehicle age limit.

I found that with European breakdown cover, the RAC were excellent, not that I broke down in my aging Toyota!

• Like 3

I did notice during their TV advertisements that Green Flag only appear to cover cars less than 10 years old, that’s probably the reason they can cut your RAC or AA renewal in half!

I even took mine out of the garage today in the snow....found what I needed from the storage boxes then put it back in....fortunately it didn’t break down 😀

• Like 4

We’re with Britannia (which is backed by LV I think).

Top level cover for two people with European travel is £190. It covers the drivers, not the cars so any car that we’re is in covered. The Lexus IS the main car listed on the policy so no issues with age. 

10 minutes ago, MHT said:

It covers the drivers, not the cars so any car that we’re is in covered

My RAC Full Breakdown Recovery and European Cover too covers me and prtnr driving any car too ..................... and when the alternator went on both our cars over about a year ( Ls400 and 56 plate Honda Legend ) in the UK mind you, the RAC were splendid

I think European / Overseas Recovery of the vehicle to the UK really does depend on vehicle value ......  the occupants are of course Priceless ..........  not Valueless tho'  :thumbsup:

Oh, and my RAC Full cover stuff just happens to now be free of annual charge as I've been a Member for 50+ years

Malc

Liverpool Victoria hassled me for years to get my car insurance so this year I gave them a chance to quote they promptly refused as it was too old I called them a few choice names and told them never to darken my door again.

• Like 2