Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Awards??

Last Sunday I discovered that I was getting a medal for something I did in the Royal Navy over 38 years ago.  Today I discovered that I am now a 'Lexus Enthusiast' instead of an 'Advanced Member'.  Not sure I can take any more of this benevolence, my wife will be bringing me breakfast in bed next!  My question is, what is the forum advanced, enthusiast thing?  Does it change with time on the forum?  What are the stages?  I'm baffled.

• Like 3

I always assumed it was something to do with number of posts.

But I'm much more interested in the medal. Something Falklands related? And if you tell me would you have to kill me?

51 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

But I'm much more interested in the medal. Something Falklands related? And if you tell me would you have to kill me?

Yep, Falklands related, was on a carrier for the duration but half way home I was detoured back down there to help with mine and ordnance clearance as I had previous experience.  Never wanted to go back there again but someone, somewhere had other ideas and I went back another 3 times including six months in the Antarctic. Too many stories, too little time.  I'd left the navy by the time the medal was awarded so didn't get the memo and the MoD was too tight to buy a stamp!  Thanks for the info regarding the posts 👍

• Like 3

Time is something we all have in abundance here. If ever you want to share then post it up.

I noticed a few months ago reports that the Falklands are now free of AP mines. Lately cleared by Zimbabwean contractors.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Time is something we all have in abundance here. If ever you want to share then post it up.

I noticed a few months ago reports that the Falklands are now free of AP mines. Lately cleared by Zimbabwean contractors.

Yep, saw that, not an easy task as anti personnel mines were scattered at random as the Argentinians withdrew.  I unwittingly walked through a minefield after being dropped in San Carlos Settlement and being told to make my way to Ajax Bay where the Scots Guards were holed up waiting for news of when they'd be going home.  Didn't know about the minefield until my legs were kicked from under me and a soldier pointed his weapon at my head as he thought I was an Argentinian deserter.  I told him that I'd been walking from San Carlos for the last 6 hours and he told me it was impossible as it was mined all the way.  He would have been quite happy to shoot me as he was wired having gone through the hell of Tumbledown not long before.  Eventually he pulled my ID card out of my pocket and began to believe me.  We shared a bottle of rum that night and talked about what might have been!

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

A 💙 Like doesn't do that post justice!

Had an interesting 23 years and friends tell me I should write a book but I might have left it a bit late.  Every now and again I get reminded of another adventure that I've forgotten but too many of them include ladies and are not for the faint hearted 🤣🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

Yep, saw that, not an easy task as anti personnel mines were scattered at random as the Argentinians withdrew.  I unwittingly walked through a minefield after being dropped in San Carlos Settlement and being told to make my way to Ajax Bay where the Scots Guards were holed up waiting for news of when they'd be going home.  Didn't know about the minefield until my legs were kicked from under me and a soldier pointed his weapon at my head as he thought I was an Argentinian deserter.  I told him that I'd been walking from San Carlos for the last 6 hours and he told me it was impossible as it was mined all the way.  He would have been quite happy to shoot me as he was wired having gone through the hell of Tumbledown not long before.  Eventually he pulled my ID card out of my pocket and began to believe me.  We shared a bottle of rum that night and talked about what might have been!

It seems that we all owe you a debt Mike and should give you much more respect. Thanks.

A colleague of mine who was a Member of the World Steamship Society came into my office one morning in floods of tears to tell me we had just lost the Atlantic Conveyor. I joined him.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

we had just lost the Atlantic Conveyor. I joined him.

Remember it well, Roy, a very sad day with 12 men who never came home. Rumour has it the pilots were looking for us on the Hermes but the AC was spotted first.  We dodged a bullet (well, 2 Exocets) that day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 8:51 PM, Brechin Slate said:

Remember it well, Roy, a very sad day with 12 men who never came home. Rumour has it the pilots were looking for us on the Hermes but the AC was spotted first.  We dodged a bullet (well, 2 Exocets) that day.

Well done Mike! I dodged a few myself down there in 1982. A 2,500 ton frigate bounced around a bit more than a carrier too 😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Well done Mike! I dodged a few myself down there in 1982. A 2,500 ton frigate bounced around a bit more than a carrier too 😀

Which ship?  The minesweepers weren't a bundle of laughs either 😉

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links