Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS460 - Rare Sighting

Neil E

I was very lucky to recently stumble upon this GS460 so wasted no time in acquiring it.

It's in pretty good condition with just a few fairly minor items to address including a routine service. At this early stage of ownership I'm not sure whether I shall simply restore it to order to be enjoyed in its original form or 'enhanced' for a little extra fun. I've started researching the detail of the GS460 and the potential to develop it a little. However it progresses, I thought it would be worth starting a build thread as it's rare to see a GS in this form. 

61026.thumb.jpg.73b5d65d7bcff6bde0209496f4144976.jpg

It's been called upon for work duty so hasn't been in a decent clean state for pictures yet so for as long as it remains available on You Tube, here is a link to the video the dealer made in support of the sale.

www.youtube.com/embed/_e6YT_3sdOI?rel=0

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Neil E said:

I was very lucky to recently stumble upon this GS460 so wasted no time in acquiring it.

It's in pretty good condition with just a few fairly minor items to address including a routine service. At this early stage of ownership I'm not sure whether I shall simply restore it to order to be enjoyed in its original form or 'enhanced' for a little extra fun. I've started researching the detail of the GS460 and the potential to develop it a little. However it progresses, I thought it would be worth starting a build thread as it's rare to see a GS in this form. 

61026.thumb.jpg.73b5d65d7bcff6bde0209496f4144976.jpg

It's been called upon for work duty so hasn't been in a decent clean state for pictures yet so for as long as it remains available on You Tube, here is a link to the video the dealer made in support of the sale.

www.youtube.com/embed/_e6YT_3sdOI?rel=0

Superb buy ! Had the 450h 2008 in 2010 . I real refined drive . Not one I would have thought to do a load of modding on Neil . Just lovely as standard . and a beauty for motorway use . 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nicnac said:

Superb buy ! Had the 450h 2008 in 2010 . I real refined drive . Not one I would have thought to do a load of modding on Neil . Just lovely as standard . and a beauty for motorway use . 

Nick, Neil would have improved a Michaelangelo !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Nick, Neil would have improved a Michaelangelo !

I was hoping John that with a little gentle persuasion he might leave it as standard ! .....but alas I think you are right !. With only a few ever imported here it would be nice to keep it stock for posterity . A collector would want it that way .................... 

• Like 2

I would have thought best mod would be in the exhaust department if it has still got original (rusting) setup.

Would enhance the growl. Grove Garage in Brighton would provide a sound track solution.

Jealous of your boot space though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, PCM said:

Very nice!

Stupid question - what 'drive' is it? AWD, FWD, RWR?

Looks lovely.

Enjoy.

Yes, it's rear wheel drive, engine is a 1UR-FSE, 8 speed. I think it has an LSD with the same ratios as an ISF. I'm gradually collecting info, I've read that 1616 vehicles were made in total. 

Yes Nick, very nice as standard. I've no desire to go wild with the appearance, in fact quite the opposite but I've always been curious as to why the GS was de-tuned to 342 bhp. The LS460 has 375 - 385 bhp.

Apparently the previous owner had changed the exhaust to straight pipes for the noise but sensibly kept hold of the silencers which the dealer has put back. The twin tails have been grafted onto the silencers as the rear bumper cut-outs were re-shaped to accommodate them. Ideally I would put it back to standard but the devil in my ear says make it look standard, sound quiet with only a hint of V8 but release the horses by adding headers and an X pipe, plus whatever subtle tuning is required.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I would have thought best mod would be in the exhaust department if it has still got original (rusting) setup.

Would enhance the growl. Grove Garage in Brighton would provide a sound track solution.

Jealous of your boot space though.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ......................Stop It ...........................Its a REFINED  car ................. not a boy racer special !LOL.............sorry Neil 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Yes Powerflow is an option but this car deserves to remain quiet. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nicnac said:

Yep ....... You can get 2 bags of chrisps in the 460 instead of the 1 in the 450 h LOL

The boot size is indeed very good.

I get the feeling plan B isn't likely to get through the LOC planning committee.🤣

image.thumb.png.decb4e4c94679914add8cbb34a8e2f16.png

I did start a thread in the GS section looking for guidance and info and I said there that with only a likely 12-13 left in the country, despite my track record, I do feel the weight of responsibility to the car. 

• Like 1

Not sure about the Wikipedia info here, with regards your car.

"The GS 450h retains its position as the most expensive in the GS lineup, and has faster acceleration than the GS 460, though the GS 460 is lighter and has a higher top speed."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

The boot size is indeed very good.

I get the feeling plan B isn't likely to get through the LOC planning committee.🤣

image.thumb.png.decb4e4c94679914add8cbb34a8e2f16.png

I did start a thread in the GS section looking for guidance and info and I said there that with only a likely 12-13 left in the country, despite my track record, I do feel the weight of responsibility to the car. 

You have a love of cars Neil , and boundless enthusiasm ................I rest assured you will do the decent thing .......... There are tons of less scarce motors out there as projects and would lend themselves much more to mods . .....................

35 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Not sure about the Wikipedia info here, with regards your car.

"The GS 450h retains its position as the most expensive in the GS lineup, and has faster acceleration than the GS 460, though the GS 460 is lighter and has a higher top speed."

Thanks Steve, I've been trawling for info and gradually improving my knowledge of the GS460, flash your lights if I hold you up on the A23. 

19 minutes ago, nicnac said:

You have a love of cars Neil , and boundless enthusiasm ................I rest assured you will do the decent thing .......... There are tons of less scarce motors out there as projects and would lend themselves much more to mods . .....................

Cheers Nick, no wide arches or outrageous spoilers for this one and anything I do will be under the skin and reversible. Not planning any hifi changes or obd stuff. Nice to have the DVD and thankfully the radio reception is all fine but the CD/DVD audio was worse than I remember it in the GS430. I'll make do with radio 2 or cricket.

If I thought it could be done at reasonable cost, I would fit the rhd version ISF Sikky or PPE headers and build the exhaust to be quiet but I estimate it would be in the order of £3.5k which is too much.

I have some interior bits to detail including leather cleaning to do, the beige drivers mat is worn. The exhaust needs a proper look. On first inspection the underside looks pretty good.👍 Throttle response is a bit 'laggy,' headlights look slightly down on brightness though lenses fine. Probably due some new rear dampers but it does ride very well. No advisories on the new MOT. It had not been taxed for ages so as per the vid, may just have been used for a short while by the dealer and then stored. The Lexus dealer history on the website looks okay, when I bought it I was allowing for one or two small surprises but so far so good. Need to book it in with Lexus Gatwick for a service next. 

32 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Thanks Steve, I've been trawling for info and gradually improving my knowledge of the GS460, flash your lights if I hold you up on the A23. 

Cheers Nick, no wide arches or outrageous spoilers for this one and anything I do will be under the skin and reversible. Not planning any hifi changes or obd stuff. Nice to have the DVD and thankfully the radio reception is all fine but the CD/DVD audio was worse than I remember it in the GS430. I'll make do with radio 2 or cricket.

If I thought it could be done at reasonable cost, I would fit the rhd version ISF Sikky or PPE headers and build the exhaust to be quiet but I estimate it would be in the order of £3.5k which is too much.

I have some interior bits to detail including leather cleaning to do, the beige drivers mat is worn. The exhaust needs a proper look. On first inspection the underside looks pretty good.👍 Throttle response is a bit 'laggy,' headlights look slightly down on brightness though lenses fine. Probably due some new rear dampers but it does ride very well. No advisories on the new MOT. It had not been taxed for ages so as per the vid, may just have been used for a short while by the dealer and then stored. The Lexus dealer history on the website looks okay, when I bought it I was allowing for one or two small surprises but so far so good. Need to book it in with Lexus Gatwick for a service next. 

All good Neil .

Just a word on the DVD / Audio .

I had a IS250 SE Auto with Multimedia bought brand new in may2006 .It had the ML 14 speaker system . It was the best sound system I have had before or since (including 2006 SC). 

When I got the GS450H SE-L in 2010( 2008 facelift model ) I was a bit disappointed as I could hear a noticeable degradation in sound quality to the IS250 . It was still good sound ,but lacked the IS250  clarity at high volumes . I think they just hit a sweet spot on the IS 250 , probably by luck more than judgement . 

1 minute ago, Bob King said:

That’s a stunning and very rare motor you have there Neil .....I like colour and trim😎😎 

Best kept original Bob !!! ...................would you say ?.................😏

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bob King said:

What’s it like underneath 😁😁

😂😂😂.light and airy inside  Hopefully not that way underneath !🤔No doubt Neil will be alog with full pictures as soon as the weather permits .

PS: this is awful ............Ive now started to look at 460's Both LS & GS ..............................................................maybe when I sell the S2000 this or next year .............keeping the SC

https://www.elitemotorcompanycroydon.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-460-4-6-luxury-4dr-south-norwood-202006300698956

6 hours ago, nicnac said:

Best kept original Bob !!! ...................would you say ?.................😏

Oh here we go, who let you two sit together?! 🤣🤣 .....Regan and Carter. I returned to the thread after a few hours work and the task force has been assembled. Sweeney Todd the Lexus Plod.🤣 If I'm going to be under surveillance, it might as well be by the best. 👍

Like the look of that LS460 but no sunroof?  They're so comfortable for a long trek. The differences in the F-Sport model are worth having. LSD brembo brakes. etc. Unusually some of the US models are better specified than the few we have here. The LS600 is something else, very heavy but I want one. They should all be supplied with a chauffeurs cap. 

I was going to take some underside pics yesterday afternoon but it was cold and was going to be a faff getting the SC out of the way for jacks and stands to put the GS up in the air sufficient to get a decent view so retreated into the warm. This is all I have for now.

610036.thumb.jpg.809d9a3b2974eccdff0c2db80f1bbdff.jpg

I'm not so keen on the interior colour Bob, it's 'tan' I suppose and in very good condition. A gentle leather clean and it will be almost like new. The only signs of very minor wear are in the driver's seat and the original drivers floor mat. 

• Haha 1