Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone had a Catloc fitted for RX450H?

I'm looking to get a Catloc fitted for my RX450 as there has been an increase in the Cat thefts in my area again with the CT200 and RX400H being targeted mainly. I have not heard many RX450H owners that have had theirs stolen but just want to be on the safe side so don't have to go through the hassles. 

My Lexus Dealer is quoting £391 fitted. 

Have any RX450H owners had it done? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know how you get on with it Ben because a few people have had them fitted (although admittedly not necessarily this particular type and maybe not even an RX) and found that they vibrate and make a lot of noise - so much so that one person had it taken off again.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:01 AM, Herbie said:

Let us know how you get on with it Ben because a few people have had them fitted (although admittedly not necessarily this particular type and maybe not even an RX) and found that they vibrate and make a lot of noise - so much so that one person had it taken off again.

Sorry I thought I replied earlier. 

Yes after I picked up the car and started driving I did notice a 'scraping' sound as soon as I accelerated. I immediately went back to the dealer and made them look at it again. The mechanic told me its very common as there a barely any space between the Cat and the Catloc and they have already mentioned this to the manufacturer to have it redesigned. I asked him to try and make any adjustments and he then took the car away to cut out a small 'triangle' hole on the Catloc presumably where vibrating Cat knocks on. This has made a huge difference and I now barely notice any sound when driving. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kopper said:

Sorry I thought I replied earlier. 

Yes after I picked up the car and started driving I did notice a 'scraping' sound as soon as I accelerated. I immediately went back to the dealer and made them look at it again. The mechanic told me its very common as there a barely any space between the Cat and the Catloc and they have already mentioned this to the manufacturer to have it redesigned. I asked him to try and make any adjustments and he then took the car away to cut out a small 'triangle' hole on the Catloc presumably where vibrating Cat knocks on. This has made a huge difference and I now barely notice any sound when driving. 

I'm having one fitted to my RX450 next week by Lexus Leeds - - I'll mention your experience to them - (and attempt 'to stay one jump ahead'!)

Thanks for your feedback Ben

I fitted one today to my Gen3 450h. Gave it a quick test drive afterwards and all seems to be fine. Although it is a tight fit their was enough space around the cat that it should never touch the Catloc. It was a bit of a pig to fit, mainly because I was working on the floor on ramps and I'm well upholstered and am the wrong side of 60.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:01 AM, Herbie said:

I had the Lexus Catloc fitted to our RX450 this week at Lexus Leeds.

Cracking job, absolutely no alien noises or vibrations since fitting, and after the production of my Lexus Owners Club membership card, the cost was £350 (inc VAT).

(And I've had two neighbours lose their 'cats' in the last two weeks!)

I know that nothing can guarantee security these days, but at least I've done all I can*

(* although still not wired it up to the traction batteries! 🔌)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Cracking job, absolutely no alien noises or vibrations since fitting, and after the production of my Lexus Owners Club membership card, the cost was £350 (inc VAT).

I know that nothing can guarantee security these days, but at least I've done all I can*

Have you checked that it is still there Dave ?

• Like 1

RX450h has two catalytic converters (one for eachside of the engine) and they are positioned vertically, which makes them less accessible from under the car. This is the reason why RX450h is less susceptible to converter stealing than RX400h, where the it is much more accessible.

As far as I know there have been very few reports of stolen converters from RX450h owners.

RX450h:

59CFCB81-FA88-4D64-8C78-37A17BAAD709.thumb.jpeg.c7fee1ddad7c88a30cd339f0200fae50.jpeg

RX400h:

8A425316-5720-421A-9C88-1C880438F945.thumb.jpeg.952d1b50582044079fc89e1387736e7e.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vadim said:

RX450h has two catalytic converters (one for eachside of the engine) and they are positioned vertically, which makes them less accessible from under the car. This is the reason why RX450h is less susceptible to converter stealing than RX400h, where the it is much more accessible.

As far as I know there have been very few reports of stolen converters from RX450h owners.

RX450h:

59CFCB81-FA88-4D64-8C78-37A17BAAD709.thumb.jpeg.c7fee1ddad7c88a30cd339f0200fae50.jpeg

RX400h:

8A425316-5720-421A-9C88-1C880438F945.thumb.jpeg.952d1b50582044079fc89e1387736e7e.jpeg

and of course they also have a third Cat fitted a foot or so before the silencer on the underside of the car - and it is these that are removed by the ne'er-do-wells. (and it's the third unit I now have protected by a Catloc)

13 minutes ago, Illogan said:

and of course they also have a third Cat fitted a foot or so before the silencer on the underside of the car - and it is these that are removed by the ne'er-do-wells. (and it's the third unit I now have protected by a Catloc)

I think that third unit is a resonator rather than a cat - but would the dumb scrotes who are intent on nicking them know that? I doubt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

I think that third unit is a resonator rather than a cat - but would the dumb scrotes who are intent on nicking them know that? I doubt it.

I saw once how the converter was cut off a Toyota Prius right in front of my house. I barely managed to open camera on my phone to make a video before they were gone. All I managed to record was a lightless tail of the departing car with unrecognisable number plates. All around, it was done in under a minute in the night with no lights at all. These gangs know their stuff, and use top tools. I bet they know quite a bit about what cars have more rare metal in the converters and what are easier to cut. This is very reassuring to know that RX mk3 and more recent are probably not on their list.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vadim said:

I saw once how the converter was cut off a Toyota Prius right in front of my house. I barely managed to open camera on my phone to make a video before they were gone. All I managed to record was a lightless tail of the departing car with unrecognisable number plates. All around, it was done in under a minute in the night with no lights at all. These gangs know their stuff, and use top tools. I bet they know quite a bit about what cars have more rare metal in the converters and what are easier to cut. This is very reassuring to know that RX mk3 and more recent are probably not on their list.

Maybe someone should produce a list of unlikely targets, although it might take a cat tea leaf to compile it!

There was a publication by Admiral insurer, suggesting that Honda Jazz, Toyota Prius, Toyota Auris and Lexus RX (400h?) were most targeted:
https://www.admiral.com/magazine/news/hybrid-vehicles-targeted-catalytic-converter-thefts

I think all other cars are less at risk either because they have less precious metal in converters, or the converters are more difficult to remove.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:19 PM, Illogan said:

I have the Membership card also but Lexus Woodford refused to accept it saying they barely make any money on the Catlocs. I paid £391 with no discount 

11 hours ago, Kopper said:

I have the Membership card also but Lexus Woodford refused to accept it saying they barely make any money on the Catlocs. I paid £391 with no discount 

Ah!   I had a not dissimilar discussion with Leeds, (they commented that the Catloc's were charged to them at a much higher price than Lexus Direct sells them to the public at.....)

Which I know for a fact is all 'smoke and mirrors', because there are various rebates and retrospective bonuses (that never appear directly on the item's invoioce) paid to dealers by their suppliers that brings the prices well below that sold to the consumer.

It's the same for most larger businesses of course, and is just a way of protecting profit margins within an industry

- though my perserverance won through (!) (I just mark it down as a personal win/tick )

• Thanks 1

Hi yes,

had Catloc installed by Lexus Woodford for £370 on gen3. Catloc are available on Gen2 and 3. There is  unpleasant vibration from the catloc when moving away from station in normal mode. on eco mode as the speed is gentle and gradual, there is no vibration. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, Kopper said:

I had the Catloc fitted today on my RX450H by my Lexus dealer. Total cost £391 is a bit steep but gives me some peace of mind

Do you get vibrations and noise? from stationary and slow moving traffic when I press on the accelerator I get a terribly vibration and noise. then goes once the car is on the move

2 hours ago, F1mo said:

Hi yes,

had Catloc installed by Lexus Woodford for £370 on gen3. Catloc are available on Gen2 and 3. There is  unpleasant vibration from the catloc when moving away from station in normal mode. on eco mode as the speed is gentle and gradual, there is no vibration. 

Mo,

If you're getting a vibration from the system after the Catloc fitting - - I dare suggest that L Woodford did not fit it correctly, mine does not vibrate, there is no resonance, and apart from the fact that I have checked that the Catloc is fitted (!) - I would not know that it's there.  It's exactly as it should be, silent and (hopefully) protective. 

I suggest that Lexus Woodford should not have released the car to you without having checked, and double-checked their workmanship.

You have every ground to take it back and ask them to refit the little darling, (their workmanship is not of the required standard and not fit for the purpose)

Edited by Illogan
Addition
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, Illogan said:

Mo,

If you're getting a vibration from the system after the Catloc fitting - - I dare suggest that L Woodford did not fit it correctly, mine does not vibrate, there is no resonance, and apart from the fact that I have checked that the Catloc is fitted (!) - I would not know that it's there.  It's exactly as it should be, silent and (hopefully) protective. 

I suggest that Lexus Woodford should not have released the car to you without having checked, and double-checked their workmanship.

You have every ground to take it back and ask them to refit the little darling, (their workmanship is not of the required standard and not fit for the purpose)

Thanks, yes I took it back it's with them at present. Lexus people coming to look at it too after complaint raised above Woodford. The response has been rather garbage which I am not accepting. Lets see what the Lexus folks have to say. 

• Like 1