Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone had a Catloc fitted for RX450H?

On 3/13/2021 at 6:44 PM, F1mo said:

Do you get vibrations and noise? from stationary and slow moving traffic when I press on the accelerator I get a terribly vibration and noise. then goes once the car is on the move

I do, and have taken this back to the dealer - can I suggest you do the same and get this complaint raised above the dealer to Lexus as this is an approved product. The vibrations and rattle really ruins the experience. 

On 3/7/2021 at 5:13 PM, Herbie said:

I think that third unit is a resonator rather than a cat - but would the dumb scrotes who are intent on nicking them know that? I doubt it.

It is a cat. The set up is the same as with the older 400h. Two primary cats built into the exhaust headers within the engine bay and a secondary cat just behind the engine under the floor of the vehicle.

33 minutes ago, F1mo said:

Thanks, yes I took it back it's with them at present. Lexus people coming to look at it too after complaint raised above Woodford. The response has been rather garbage which I am not accepting. Lets see what the Lexus folks have to say. 

😞

After the 400h one needed a redesign due to vibration/noise I would have expected better testing to have occurred on the series III one. Lets hope it is just an installation issue.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:17 PM, ColinBarber said:

😞

After the 400h one needed a redesign due to vibration/noise I would have expected better testing to have occurred on the series III one. Lets hope it is just an installation issue.

Been escalated to Lexus HQ technician. They took it for a spin today and found the vibrations and will look to reorder parts to reinstall with CATLOC being present. If needed they will need to redesign again as the vibrations and noise under acceleration is horrendous. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last November I bought a Honda Jazz as a London runaround, parked near my daughters so when we visit we have a handy vehicle. It lasted a month before the cat' thieves struck, we knew nothing of this situation before.

After speaking to friends and family we were told many horror stories about cat'  thefts from outside houses, on driveways and even at a funeral.

I read this thread and even though my local Lexus dealer (Snows at Hedge End) says RXs are rarely targeted, after spending a sleepless night at my daughters nipping out every half hour or so to check my RX I decide to get a Catloc fitted for my own piece of mind.

Initially Snows wanted £435.50, but after my quoting from this thread they matched the £391 price.

As you can buy a Gen3 Catloc for  £346 (delivered), £45 to save me the bother of fitting it myself seemed like a good deal as like Barry7 I too am 'well upholstered and on the wrong side of 60'.

I informed Snows of the fitting issues mentioned here and am happy to report they did an excellent job with no noise or rattle issues.

I'm looking for another ULEZ compliant cheap and reliable  London runaround which will not attract cat thieves, any suggestions would be welcome.

IMG_20210429_172117.jpg

• Like 2

"I'm looking for another ULEZ compliant cheap and reliable  London runaround which will not attract cat thieves, any suggestions would be welcome. "

Any good?    😁

Boardman HYB 8.6 Womens 2021 Hybrid bike | Purple (M)

• Like 2

Perhaps the old Citroen air system should be introduced where on stopping the car dropped down very low then majestically rose in an instant on starting.  Somebody I knew had one on a DS and said it gave a wonderfully smooth ride.  Not much room to crawl under when car is left in low position.

7 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Perhaps the old Citroen air system should be introduced where on stopping the car dropped down very low then majestically rose in an instant on starting.  Somebody I knew had one on a DS and said it gave a wonderfully smooth ride.  Not much room to crawl under when car is left in low position.

I had one for a while and you’re absolutely right,  Barry.  I don’t think there was room for a trolley jack in the lowered position.  But while the action was certainly majestic, it wasn’t quite instant!   This Citroen was not a good choice if you needed a fast getaway, for some reason.

In fact I do recall that from starting the engine to driving off, there was plenty of time to catch the surprised attention of passers-by.

Of course, the system also gave you the ‘ploughed field’ position and eliminated the need for a jack if removing a wheel.  It was - and still is - an astonishing car in many respects and why it’s still not in production in a some updated form is a mystery to me.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've also had a catlock installed on my 450h through Lexus dealership. The vibrations are awful, really impacts the driving experience. I'd rather no lock than the experience i'm currently getting from driving it.

Thieves can cut straight through the catlocs just like without it so really don't see any point in spending money on one of those. It's not even a deterrent. Takes them seconds or min and off they are. Of course evil ruthless people who don't care or think about anyone besides themselves. 

• 6 months later...

Just had an attempted theft of my cat converter (on my RX450H 2011).

Luckily, insurers are going to pay for a replacement, but I want a cat lock too.

Not very impressed by the Catloc being offered by Lexus, as they even confess that it rattles, which for £384 + some (prices have gone up recently, so I'm expecting it to be £450 - they quoted over £3500 for replacement cat converter and lock), is not what I want.

Has anyone had any other device fitted to their RX and been happy with it? E.g. The "Cat clamp" (shown on "Honest John" website. It wraps around the whole converter and looks like a great deterrent...for ca £350 also - though clearance between it and the road looks reduced, so I'd be interested in opinions about that too).

I'd rather decide while my cat is being replaced (hopefully within 24 hrs), but am happy to wait for some opinions - as obviously, the best solution is worth waiting for....Thanks guys!

On 7/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, b4u2 said:

Thieves can cut straight through the catlocs just like without it so really don't see any point in spending money on one of those. It's not even a deterrent. Takes them seconds or min and off they are. Of course evil ruthless people who don't care or think about anyone besides themselves. 

Really? What would you recommend then pls? You seem to know your stuff. 

Mine is a 2011 RX-450h, loved by me and my family (wife, 2 girls) and has been virtually part of our family for the last 7 yrs.

I don't want to break the bank, but I'm happy to invest in something that is going to prevent future attempts. (I think I got lucky this time, but I still have to pay £350 insurance excess - which I'd rather do without). 

I'm thinking of:
a) getting it marked. And stickered - seems like a good deterrent, and Lexus offer this and quite low prices I think
b) Getting a garage to weld the bolts - not convinced (as once they're down there, they'll have a go at taking it anyway and do damage again)
c) "Cat Clamp" (as seen on Honest John), but looks like really reduced clearance to the ground
d) Nothing - other than possibly marking it and the stickers (and just getting insurance to pick it up, if it happens again. Let's see what my insurance rises to next year!)

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/148220/should-i-get-a-catalytic-converter-lock-

This place does cages and plates for Lexus,  don't know how good they are:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264541119345?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=eEwVwtUUAAAAjY95juv_vB3V5WQGAAAAAA

Also read somewhere that spraying it with brightly coloured high temp paint can act as a deterrent.

I had mine marked and stickered by Lexus free at my last service.

36 minutes ago, b4u2 said:

@George RX450H 2011

The only thing I can really suggest & recommend is to have your catalyic converter exchanged for an aftermarket one so there are no precious metals in them thereby it not being targeted by thieves.

That would rely on the thieves being able to tell it was an aftermarket one. By the time they're underneath with tools they'll probably swipe whatever's there.

Since these cars have another cat (or 2) further up the pipe out of the reach of these scrotes why not just replace the missing part with a straight pipe. It won't fail an MOT because 1. It still has cats and 2. There is no exhaust emission test - try revving when parked for the test. Cost should be less than a Catlock, not to mention any replacement cat and insurance costs/hassles/lead times.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2023 at 5:09 PM, Bluemarlin said:

This place does cages and plates for Lexus,  don't know how good they are:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264541119345?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=eEwVwtUUAAAAjY95juv_vB3V5WQGAAAAAA

Also read somewhere that spraying it with brightly coloured high temp paint can act as a deterrent.

I had mine marked and stickered by Lexus free at my last service.

Very interesting @Bluemarlin, thank you. I've just got my car back from Lexus, so I'll look into this.

Will ask Lexus to mark it and sticker in the meantime. Thanks again!

On 1/31/2023 at 5:58 PM, b4u2 said:

@George RX450H 2011

The only thing I can really suggest & recommend is to have your catalyic converter exchanged for an aftermarket one so there are no precious metals in them thereby it not being targeted by thieves.

Thanks @b4u2, this is also an excellent idea. I guess I would just need to find someone I could trust to do it i.e. give me good value for the Lexus parts they have just installed (brand new one - for which my insurer has paid over £3000) and give me a good replacement. 
I also want to make sure it doesn't deter buyers, as I'm now looking to sell the car. (i.e. I would have preferred the "full Lexus service history" selling point.)
Anyway, thanks so much for your input, it's really given me food for thought. You too @Bluemarlin. Much appreciated. :)

George

On 2/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, Kopper said:

I had the Catloc fitted today on my RX450H by my Lexus dealer. Total cost £391 is a bit steep but gives me some peace of mind

I see a design flaw with that. The metal seam top right of the start of the video would be where i would cut along, then bend it back and remove the cut section of exhaust.  

Might take me 30 seconds longer to get the cat removed but anyone with a Battery grinder will get it. Might help deter someone. The best anticat device is a decat pipe with flanges welded on so you can replace it ready for the MOT. Considering most if not all Lexus owners are over 25yo the odds of a police stop and check is very low. Altho i suppose a DVSA stop would be a headache.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links