Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting problems

MadJam250

For a couple of evenings recently my CTvhas not started in the cold in the evenings. Does anyone else have similar issues? It takes about 10 minutes of nothing happening when I press the start button, other than the dashboard lights coming on, but no Ready light. 

59 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

For a couple of evenings recently my CTvhas not started in the cold in the evenings. Does anyone else have similar issues? It takes about 10 minutes of nothing happening when I press the start button, other than the dashboard lights coming on, but no Ready light. 

Are you remembering to press the Brake Pedal at the same time as pressing the Start Button ?

• Like 2

I'd almost guarantee the 12V Battery is the problem.

As Mark said above it's likely to be the original so it's not surprising if it's 'tired' and the cold is finishing it off - the detrimental effect of cold weather on car batteries is well documented.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

While this is annoying, it is normal for batteries to lose power and need replacement. On the bright side it seems the CT200H is the car with least problems of all Lexus as there is rather few new issues compared to the other models of Lexus.

We have the most economic of all the luxury brand and maybe also the most reliable. Maybe.

I will have my Battery looked after next service as it is now 4 years and 2½ months old.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

While this is annoying, it is normal for batteries to lose power and need replacement. On the bright side it seems the CT200H is the car with least problems of all Lexus as there is rather few new issues compared to the other models of Lexus.

We have the most economic of all the luxury brand and maybe also the most reliable. Maybe.

I will have my battery looked after next service as it is now 4 years and 2½ months old.

The overall reliability is indeed quite amazing. 

17 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

It takes about 10 minutes of nothing happening when I press the start button,

I've not experienced this myself, yet.  I have a suspicion that the Battery, when the car is turned on, is  slightly warming itself up at an acid/plate level, when some current is being drawn from it.  Eventually, as it gets slightly warmer, it is able to provide enough power for the next part of the power-up sequence - and can then turn the contactor/relay on, and the traction Battery to be switched in.

Or it could be something else happening....

But, as my old chemistry teacher, used to try to drill into the class, "The rate of a chemical reaction doubles for every 10 degrees rise in temperature".

FWIW, On the Vauxhall Ampera/Chevrolet Volt, running the car with a slightly duff 12v Battery can (and does) burn their main contactor out.  I've not seen similar problems ever mentioned on a Lexus/Toyota hybrid.

That's interesting. Thank you. 

Mine has been OK today. I shall ensure when it is cold to keep all peripherals off before hitting the start button. Being so cold I think I should have run the engine first, which is what I would have done in any type of car ordinarilly. 

On 1/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, MadJam250 said:

That's interesting. Thank you. 

Mine has been OK today. I shall ensure when it is cold to keep all peripherals off before hitting the start button. Being so cold I think I should have run the engine first, which is what I would have done in any type of car ordinarilly. 

On the basis of what you said at the outset, you could NOT have run the engine first.

I always experience the situation you describe whenever I press the start button without pressing the Brake Pedal at the same time.

I fail to see how it could be your Battery when you say that everything lights up on the dashboard.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, royoftherovers said:

On the basis of what you said at the outset, you could NOT have run the engine first.

I always experience the situation you describe whenever I press the start button without pressing the Brake Pedal at the same time.

I fail to see how it could be your battery when you say that everything lights up on the dashboard.

Yeah, although their were flickering and when I tried the interior lights they were dim. Turning everything off and waiting 5 mins allowed it to go to Ready and it started OK. Done this twice this week when sat for 8 hours outside in near zero temperatures. I'll keep an eye on things. I see there are some YouTube clips to this effect too, again when the temperature is cold. 

49 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

Yeah, although their were flickering and when I tried the interior lights they were dim. Turning everything off and waiting 5 mins allowed it to go to Ready and it started OK. Done this twice this week when sat for 8 hours outside in near zero temperatures. I'll keep an eye on things. I see there are some YouTube clips to this effect too, again when the temperature is cold. 

Tis a good job you joined this Forum old pal !

On 1/25/2021 at 9:51 PM, royoftherovers said:

Are you remembering to press the Brake Pedal at the same time as pressing the Start Button ?

Happened to me first day in the CT200H.

Many cars have different ways they need to be started. My 2005 Smart Roadster Coupe needed key in and press start rather soon after that or it would not start at all before locking car, unlocking again and key in and press start.

Sweet little go-kart.

DSC02931s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Started happening a few days ago. Initially seemed like a repeating glitch, which was kinda surprising amid that well-known reliability. I noticed that on one such occasion I happened to turn on the lights before pressing the Power button, which didn't make sense at all until now. Today the Ready light won't come on no matter what and the 12V battery measured just 9.22V, hence basically dead. It's a 2011 reg/car bought just half a year ago, so perhaps still the original Battery assuming it's a Yuasa. Figuring out a suitable replacement Battery in a parallel thread now. 

I even started thinking something must've failed just 'cos I wasn't expecting it not to alert me to such simple thing as flat Battery with all its intelligence 🙂 

Update: just started the CT200h on the same Battery at the very 1st attempt now that it's +13C here and took it for a short ride to give it a bit of a charge. The voltage measured upon return between + in the fusebox and the body is back to a reasonable norm for AGM I suppose (~12.2-12.3V, hence 60-70% charged). Will still go ahead with its swap for a new one as I don't think a healthy Battery should lose that much voltage in just a week of pretty mild cold. 

• 11 months later...

I’ve recently started having exactly this problem.  Sometimes it starts first time, but other times, only the dash, lights and radio etc come on but the engine doesn’t start.  Sometimes it happens when it’s cold and first time I use it in the day, but also had an issue at a petrol station the other when it look nearly 5 mins to get it started. It car should have already warmed up. 

It’s 2013 model but as all lights coming on etc I’m struggling to understand how this is a Battery issue 

On 2/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, royoftherovers said:

If people read their Handbooks John, we have a lot more peace and quiet.

Come on John. Is this a forum for old people who wants to be left quiet, or a forum for mostly older people who sometimes need advice?

16 minutes ago, Rachel O said:

I’ve recently started having exactly this problem.  Sometimes it starts first time, but other times, only the dash, lights and radio etc come on but the engine doesn’t start.  Sometimes it happens when it’s cold and first time I use it in the day, but also had an issue at a petrol station the other when it look nearly 5 mins to get it started. It car should have already warmed up. 

It’s 2013 model but as all lights coming on etc I’m struggling to understand how this is a battery issue 

If Battery is from 2013 it has been doing a good job until now. Could be time to replace it.

Good afternoon my friend.

You quote me on what I said one year ago relating to your specific  point re "many cars have many different ways"

I am unable to understand why you choose to post it and comment as you did.

I must now go back to my slumber.😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rachel O said:

It’s 2013 model but as all lights coming on etc I’m struggling to understand how this is a battery issue 

I don’t have a hybrid, but maybe this Lexus page may shed some light on the problem.  The lights coming on only suggests that the Battery isn’t totally flat.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-hybrid-parked/comment-page-1/#comments

But if you actually have a nine-year old Battery, then its already served you pretty well.  Maybe time to invest in a new one?  And while you’re at it, a good trickle charger would also be a sound investment .  Although other brands are available - I believe - you’ll not go wrong with a CTEK.