Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mileage Or A Year?

Local dealer has sent a 40K service reminder but unfortunately the car has 38K on the clock.

Q. Shoud I do the 40K service now since it's a year ago the car was last serviced or wait for the mileage to hit 40K?

So if you do 2k a year, you get stung every year for a service that is pretty much pointless, one good thing about B*Ws they do have the service intervals based on how you drive and how many miles you drive.

i found that interesting when I looked at my service book, the 1 year service was after 3,000 miles and the second was after 9,000 then the next guy got it up to 33k. So now the services are really messed up! (it's a 99 by the way)

All mine have been done early, but like Scorpion mine is on 33k and will be due for its 40k in around Jan/Feb05 because that will be 12 months, but I doubt it will have 40k on it even then. :unsure:

Mine's a pretty high miler so it's had the services more than once a year:

Sep 2000 - registered

March 2001 - 10000 (@9769)

October 2001 - 20000 (@21076)

March 2002 - 30000 (@29444)

November 2002 - 40000 (@40612)

June 2003 - 50000 (@49683)

Looks like they kept to the schedule pretty well, I picked it up with 54k on the clock at the end of last September and I'm at 59k so will probably be getting it in sometime in the next 6 weeks - you guys need to do more miles ;)

mines been serviced every 5000 miles instead of every 9000 miles and it has had nine services and only done 43,000 miles .five of the services were done in its first 15000 miles or three years .what a waste of money.They even did the cambelt and plugs at 29,000 miles :blink: .

When I'm looking at buying a car I look for if it has a stamp for every service interval, so a 10k, 20k etc, I don't really care if the car is 4 years old and only has 3 stamps as longs as it only has 30k on the clock, does that make sense? :duh:

The usual reason for the 'yearly' service was always the oil. As oil is now much more resiliant some manufacturers have opened up their service intervals to 2 years as a result.

The other item recommended for a yearly change is the air conditioning filter but again this seems to be left in situ for 2 years now.

I would stick rigidly to the manufacturers schedule whilst a warranty is in place but would go mileage after that (assuming it does not break the 2 years.

Your call :)

The problem with cars not meeting the 10,000 mile interval is they are normally still used every day just with short journeys. There is still nearly the same amount of engine wear so the oil and filter need to be changed.

Also if you only do 5,000 miles a year and you just at it serviced every 10,000 the coolant/brake fuild wouldn't be changed for 6 years, twice the recommened interval.

Hmmm, this has got me wondering too...

My IS200 was born in September 2001

10k service was in September 2002 with 8k on the clock

20k service was in September 2003 with 14k on the clock

It's just been serviced (but not stamped in the book) with 17k on the clock

Do I insist that the dealer stamps the book to say it's just been serviced again?

(if so, I guess they shouldn't stamp in the 30k/3year space).

Do I have the car serviced at 30k? Or can I wait until March next year? Or should I just have it serviced in September again?

There is still nearly the same amount of engine wear so the oil and filter need to be changed.

That cant be true,so your saying if i do 5k a year and MrX does 10k we have the same amount of engine wear.After 10yrs a buyer is going to go for my car first, everytime.I know i would rather buy a 50k motor than a 100k.

There is still nearly the same amount of engine wear so the oil and filter need to be changed.

That cant be true,so your saying if i do 5k a year and MrX does 10k we have the same amount of engine wear.After 10yrs a buyer is going to go for my car first, everytime.I know i would rather buy a 50k motor than a 100k.

most of the wear/damage is done to the engine in the first few miles of being started

when the engine is cold

small journeys also play havoc with the starter systems, and the exhaust ;)

a high mileage car has more than likely just been cruising at low revs up motorways all its life